ELO system adequate?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JackalHide

05-02-2010

Is there a way to see your ELO? What is the purpose of the ELO? Should ELO be calculated on win alone?

If it is just simply to represent your wins then its accurate but if its intended to represent your skill then it is not as accurate as it could be.

When your playing with random players that feed it gives the opposition an advantage as they level up faster and are able to purchase bigger items earlier. The experience and gold is fair but if you manage to still come out with positive numbers at the end of a lost game while the remaining members of your team have a negative score then it is more likely that you played better than the opposition. I dont think the ELO factors in kills in its calculation and maybe should as it will give a more accurate representation of a players skill.

If a players has been getting alot of kills but is always matched up with a noob team because of the ELO mechanics then they will be held back by the system. And on the other end if that player ends up with a good team by chance then they will most probably dominate the opposition and end the game quickly. These are two examples of mismatching caused by ELO when it is based on wins alone.

I think the ELO system will be more accurate if it factored in kills, deaths and assists for individuals to determine their skill level. I'm sure that factoring in kills may have its problems as well but the benefits would outweigh the cost and would improve it a bit.

Tanks are most likely to have a low amount of kills over time compared to dps but the will have some assists. Maybe the elo could factor heroe types in aswell. Or more precisely could the system track who has the most amount of kills with a specific heroe on average per game?

There is alot that could be factored in ensure that the elo trully reflects the playes skill level and this thread is only meant to point that out.

Brizzley

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-02-2010

Wrong forum?

Polaritie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

05-02-2010

Yes, wrong forum.

That said, there is no way to work in arbitrary factors of performance into an Elo system. (FYI, its not an acronym, its named after the guy who invented it) Elo systems work by determining approximate odds of each side winning. When the expected winner wins, he gains a small amount, the loser loses a small amount. When the person (or team) expected to lose wins, the shift is larger. Also, the larger the gap, the more skewed the effect of each side winning is. (Wouldn't make sense for an expert to move up in ranking for stomping newbs, but if he gets stomped by newbs then he's probably ranked too high)

You should probably look up Elo systems in general. (The original Elo system was developed for chess, and the modern chess rating system is a derivative of it)

jorghis

05-02-2010

I strongly believe ELO should be calculated based on wins/losses alone. The point of the game is to knock down the opposing teams nexus. It is not to get a good K/D ratio. There are already way too many people who play to maximize their K/D ratio rather than win. Changing ELO to recognize anything other than wins will just encourage this poor teamwork.

Polaritie

Recruiter

05-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorghis View Post
I strongly believe ELO should be calculated based on wins/losses alone. The point of the game is to knock down the opposing teams nexus. It is not to get a good K/D ratio. There are already way too many people who play to maximize their K/D ratio rather than win. Changing ELO to recognize anything other than wins will just encourage this poor teamwork.
I knew I was forgetting something. Yes, this is the biggest reason to leave it at W/L. Getting kills and such contributes to wins, so it already factors indirectly into Elo... up to the point where it helps you win. Directly counting game stats would encourage bad gameplay. We don't need teams not pushing so they can score more kills or people focusing on kill steals to boost their rating, etc. And theres so many factors that lead to game wins anyways (just look at the full post-game report) that it would be an absurd amount of work to make them contribute directly with an appropriate degree of influence... at which point you'd end up with pretty much the same rating as you currently have.

Kikhan

05-02-2010

The only stat that matters ftw is tower kills K/D ratio's mean nothing. I couldn't count the amount of my games that my team's or mine idividually k/d ratio are worse off but, we won due to killing towers.

Carados

05-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizzley View Post
Wrong forum?
He posted this on every forum.