Good general caster rune setup?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Flair

05-02-2010

I have been playing my casters with physical champ runes, now that I have some IP saved, what is a good set up?

gramkracka22

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-02-2010

blue - flat CDR
yellow - mana/5 per level
red - magic penetration
quints - flat health

peyo

05-02-2010

red - magic pen
yellow - hp/lvl
blue - flat cdr
black - magic pen

The Promise

05-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramkracka22 View Post
blue - flat CDR
yellow - mana/5 per level
red - magic penetration
quints - flat health
qft

AnyOtherEnemy

05-02-2010

Don't listen to them, flat CDR becomes inferior to per level CDR halfway through the game, and until you reach level 6 it barely benefits you at all because your biggest cooldown is your ultimate which is what CDR affects the most. Additionally, I would recommend considering AP/level runes instead of CDR/level but both can work depending on what you're trying to do. For example, as Zilean, I don't use CDR runes because if you build for mana regen, your ability to spam Rewind makes CDR runes much less useful (i.e., you can convert mana into CDR much more efficiently than just straight up getting CDR from runes).

0rangeSoda

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

05-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by national View Post
Don't listen to them, flat CDR becomes inferior to per level CDR halfway through the game, and until you reach level 6 it barely benefits you at all because your biggest cooldown is your ultimate which is what CDR affects the most. Additionally, I would recommend considering AP/level runes instead of CDR/level but both can work depending on what you're trying to do. For example, as Zilean, I don't use CDR runes because if you build for mana regen, your ability to spam Rewind makes CDR runes much less useful (i.e., you can convert mana into CDR much more efficiently than just straight up getting CDR from runes).
not true...
the point of runes is for the early game boosts in order to dominate late game
CDR per level runes don't break even until around lvl 13 i think and by lvl 13 you can get golem buff or should have items to supplement it already

its the same reasoning for why Flat Health quints are so great and popular

Machinas

05-02-2010

Yeah, it really depends on the casters you play. You can make generic pages, but there are differences between AP destroyers (Ryze, Veigar) support casters (Zil, Soraka), and the various hybrids and types. Also, with the exception of certain mana-hungry heroes like AP Corki, I prefer flat mp5 over mp5/level, because the only stage where most heroes need lots of mana is early-game ganks/harassment.

AnyOtherEnemy

05-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehn00bsauce View Post
not true...
the point of runes is for the early game boosts in order to dominate late game
CDR per level runes don't break even until around lvl 13 i think and by lvl 13 you can get golem buff or should have items to supplement it already

its the same reasoning for why Flat Health quints are so great and popular

Until level 6 your flat CDR is taking off a few tenths of a second off your QWE skills which is essentially worthless. I fail to see how a few tenths of a second is going to allow you "dominate" late game. Also, it's unlikely more than one person on your team is going to have the golem buff at one time, so if there's someone else who needs it, you won't have it.

Oh yeah, saying that you should have items to supplement it by the time it breaks even doesn't make sense - you will have items no matter what runes you take, so it only makes sense to compare the merits of one rune with another with the same build.

Carados

05-02-2010

The question is if you have the mana to spam your spells early to justify them, although the crossover point is pretty late.

There isn't a right answer.

peyo

05-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by national View Post
I fail to see how a few tenths of a second is going to allow you "dominate" late game.
this goes for you. Flat CDR are better early game and pretty much the same late game.