How does one play Nidalee effectively?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elkasaurus

05-02-2010

I suck with Nidalee. Even though my mains are Annivia, Karthus and Ezreal right now, I find Nidalee to be the hardest champion in the game.

Her human form is easy enough. The thing I don't get is: when do I switch to cougar and jump in to melee? Do I first soften the opponent up in human form and then jump in as cougar? What form do I use in team fights?

Please help me and others that may not be as good with Nidalee D:

Kajitii

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-02-2010

I'm not super pro with Nidalee, but I find team fights aren't her strongest suite. It's probably best to stay in human form and heal whoever needs healing.

Cougar is great at finishing off people though, but you might not be able to stay around long since people will be focusing you.

DotaPWNAGE

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-02-2010

Usually I start out in human form and chuck a spear at a dps. Lay a trap and heal someone. Then switch to cougar to go and do some damage because of the quick cooldowns.

Polaritie

05-02-2010

You definitely want to be in human form for teamfights. Bushwhack at level 5 halves armor/MR, so drop that on someone. Pop a javelin, and use heal on your DPS for the 60% aspd buff. If someone is running (in a direction you don't have to go through the fight to reach) use cougar to take them down. You should be able to do at least 5-6 bars of health with a WEQ. Above all, don't get in the middle of the fight.

If you built AD, you can do decent damage with autoattack in human form. Don't use cougar until at least 2 people are dead (Or will die to a pounce).

Chimeray

05-02-2010

Key things: Heal makes all the difference, max this first. Get Sheen early, it adds tons of damage.

You need to know that Nidalee has stats of a ranged character, but Cougar is melee... That's quite an issue but you have heal and pounce to make up for that. A sustained damage melee character will hit harder than you (not talking about burst damage) and have more survivability than you.

Therefore, you can't 1on1 all characters in the sense of: standing still and auto-attacking and using all your skills and see who drops first.

How exactly you fight then: You harrass with auto-attacks and spear, then pounce in Q+E. Run away and while doing that you change back into human form and heal yourself. Then you change back into cougar cos your cooldowns will be over and you pounce and attack again. Then you might wanna auto-attack a bit longer cos you just got your speed buff.

Generally, if you're fighting you wanna be in Cougar form, switch every time your heal is back up and run away, then Pounce back in. Hit 'n run, hit 'n run. Unless you are chasing them offcourse!

Teamfights: Do not initiate, you're squishy and if you were doing well before the teamfights then most likely they will focus you and you'll drop fast! Wait for your team to initiate, then walk closer, heal a teammate and then you will be close enough for your pounce to hit a target (preferably squishies at the sides of the battle), use your combo and then run away and use ranged, or keep attacking up close. Sometimes you wanna wait longer to change into Cougar until some opponents are already down. It depends on the team composition.

Chasing: While Q does more damage the lower HP your opponent is, it's sometimes better to use WQE instead of WEQ. Why? It depends on the movement speed of the enemy but sometimes you pounce in, do your AoE attack and then you will wanna do the bonus damage from Q but the opponent will already be out of range again, making you walk to the opponent again... thus, loosing time! If you change the order however, it's way more reliable to do all the damage at once! It's kind of a subtle difference but it makes the difference of an enemy reaching his tower or not...

Try to fight close to brushes, if it gets too dangerous you switch back to human, heal and use the movement speed bonus to get away.

Get boots early, they can save you from snares like Morgana's or Blitz. You see the effect? Press R + Pounce and you actually can evade it! It's a small timeframe but the boots make the difference.

Elkasaurus

05-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimeray View Post
Key things....
Thanks Chimeray. That was extremely helpful.

And don't you mean E+Q? Because I think Q does more damage the lower their health is. So, you'll want to lower their HP first with E and then you use Q, I think.

I'm open to more tips, though.

1337SuperNewb

Recruiter

05-02-2010

How to play nidalee during teamfights: Have all 6 of your skills on CD at all times.

How to play nidalee 1v1 scenario: Put human skills on CD, switch to cougar: IT'S GO TIME.

How to play nidalee in anything else: be in cougar pouncing your way around the map (chasing, running, changing lanes for a gank etc.)

Chimeray

05-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkasaurus View Post
Thanks Chimeray. That was extremely helpful.

And don't you mean E+Q? Because I think Q does more damage the lower their health is. So, you'll want to lower their HP first with E and then you use Q, I think.

I'm open to more tips, though.
When not chasing and just fighting up close, indeed E+Q is better. Mistyped that
But like I said in the post, when chasing Q+E is better because Q only works on standard attacks. So you jump on their face when they're trying to run away and mostly right after a pounce an auto-attack follows nearly automatically so when your pounce lands your Q will have hit from the auto-attack that follows most likely (plus sheen extra damage cos pounce triggers it!) and then you hit E which is AoE anyways so it has a longer range. Pressing skills looses time of you actually pressing the keys, and the animations 'n stuff so sometimes a champion will outrun you if you pounced and E first, then your Q will not have hit and only hit on your next pounce combo... So, it's better to reliable do the extra damage, than sometimes waste it

Bah weird to explain, after some matches you'll notice the difference.

A tip with flash: Pounce only does damage when it lands so you can press W then flash to cross the distance and when you hit on the location of your flash, you will do damage there Very marginal use but it got me some kills sometimes when otherwise they would have been too far away and after their tower I don't use flash anymore though cos its range got nerfed into oblivion, Ghost + pounce + brush speed bonus will get you away from most ganks so you can push a tower very very long without having to worry. Again... it depends on team composition... a stun is a stun and when they kill you during that stun... well then you're dead.

Guess I'm out of advice, feel free to ask question though

Excession

05-02-2010

I can't tell you how to play her. Not because I don't want to, but because she is so versatile and so many play styles and strategies are available to her. If you want to play like the pros, watch the pros. HotshotGG, the best Nidalee around, has his livestream up at: http://clgaming.net/index.php?page=livestream

But I can give you a few basic item builds:
Use Attack Damage in solo que, it's reliable and deals solid damage.
Doran's Ring
Mercury Treads
Sheen or Rageblade or Brutalizer
Sheen or Rageblade or Brutalizer
Trinity Force
Banshee's Veil or Black Cleaver
Banshee's Veil or Black Cleaver

Use Ability Power if you have a solid team or super fed
Doran's Ring
Mercury Treads
Mejai's Soulstealer
Lich Bane
Void Staff
Zhonya's Ring

ikillutwice

05-02-2010

Mostly what I see is people go DPS and use her atto attack for teamfights (healing herself for the attack speed) and then couger to run away. Seems to work well for them...