Malphite Feedback

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lomesh

09-08-2009

Malphite, Shard of the Monolith was released just last week and I figure for this coming patch he will have some balances. I'm writing a feedback for him because he has become my most played Champion and I feel that I have a very good grasp on what needs some work. I'm going to go over all of his abilities one and a time with individual feedback.

Lets start with his ultimate and work our way back.

Unstoppable Force:
Overall it is a very strong ability, it has decent damage, a stun, and a great way to get you up to your opponent quickly. My only issue with his ultimate right now is that it is a targeted AOE ability with relatively small AOE and a time between the ability use and impact. When used from max range even if you attempt to predict the targets movement, if they change direction as you use it, they have enough time to make it out of the AOE. My suggestion would be to increase the AOE very slightly, about 10-15% or to increase the speed at which he rushes to the location.

Brutal Strikes:
This is where the nerf bat hits, with just cause. I personally have had 100% chance to critical with 1400 point crits and 50% splash on Malphite, needless to say, you can solo teams if you get a good Unstoppable Force on them. I would suggest two different things for this ability. One, reduce the damage gain from the ability from 70% to 50%. Two, when the extra damage is active, remove the splash, and vice versa. Text something along the lines of 'Malphite focuses his rage on a single target increasing his base damage by 50% but removing his splash'.

Seismic Shard:
This is a very unique ability and I wouldn't want to take away from that. To provide another look at it however, I could suggest making it a line arrow that passes through targets applying the snare to everybody it passes through. Malphite gains 25-30% movement speed from each champion it strikes. (Might nerf it down to 25% because of its ability to strike multiple targets). This gives him a bit more potential in team fights to make up for the fact his brutal strikes doesn't wipe out teams when hes focusing his damage and also gives him a unique skill shot ability.

Ground Slam:
This ability definitely needs changed. I personally almost never bother with even getting it until very late game when I have maxed out my others abilities. The damage on it is pitiful, the AOE on it is tiny, the duration of the attack speed is extremely short. These three combined make it all together very inadequate. My suggestion would be to double the size of the AOE and increase its duration by two seconds, and increase the cooldown by 4-5. The benefit from his armor even late game doesn't make it strong enough to be considered a nuke even if you stack armor. I would not be against changing the ability to something entirely different.

For example,
Earthen Armor:
A channeled ability that Malphite uses to pull stone from the ground beneath him and cover himself in, increasing his armor by 20-25-30-35-40 every second for a total of up to 5 seconds. This armor lasts for 7 seconds before dissipating.

This gives him another pretty unique ability and helps with his surviveability. As a melee initiator with high damage potential he is almost always the first one targeted, especially since he has to throw himself into his enemies melee range to 'initiate'. The fact that it is channeled gives his enemies a warning sign that he might be getting ready to knock some skulls around and can be used to even just scare enemies away from pushing a tower.

Overall I love the hero and think you guys did a great job on him. I look forward to the next new batch and wish you guys the best of luck!

Gimpb

09-08-2009

The ground slam is very nice on an initiator character because of the attack speed debuff. It's a pretty darn hefty hit to characters like tanks that don't attack too fast but do want to do some physical damage.

I thought much like you on using him as a carry initially but to be honest, I've not been able to make that work well. I'm sure that will come as I refine my technique with this character, of course, but ground slam and his capability as a tank are not to be underestimated.

Ky Kiske

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-08-2009

Malphite is a tank that has insane DPS.

Make him so he cant out tank and out DPS everyone he fights and I'll be happy.

Lollerman

09-08-2009

Doesn't Brutal Strike already remove his splash when active?

Jozen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

09-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollerman View Post
Doesn't Brutal Strike already remove his splash when active?
No, splash stays active. Its pretty easy to test. Hit some minions, turn on Brutal Strike, hit minions again and watch as you deal even more damage + splash.

Lomesh

09-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky Kiske View Post
Malphite is a tank that has insane DPS.

Make him so he cant out tank and out DPS everyone he fights and I'll be happy.
I've had trouble trying to build him as a 'tank'. He doesn't really have much in the way of defensive abilities. Generally I just build DPS and try to wipe a team before they punch my head in. What I proposed here would nerf his damage but increase his survivability slightly without changing how the character plays.

scur

09-09-2009

I play him a lot, and haven't stacked crit the way you described and could see how that might be a tad much. My problem with him is every one of his normal abilities are based off a different stat. (ie. Q is off armour, W is ability power, and E is Attack) Makes it kinda hard to use all his abilities, I end up just going melee heavy and ignoring Q, using w just for the speed and snare and hammering E when I get close to people.

I perfer maybe to have maybe Q changed to attack or ability power to gel a little better and have E toned down a bit. Anyway, just a few of my random thoughts.

-Scur

Foreshadowed

09-10-2009

Ground Slam is crucial for tank build

Foct

09-10-2009

he's dps, not a tank.

goji

09-10-2009

imo his ult is ok, increase its range or move speed and you'll have an i win-ability. still is a skillshot.
btw increase your base movement speed to rush faster =)

about your "earthen armor": malphite already has a passive shield. though very good idea