Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Why is Gangplank OP?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

gallantgreg

08-01-2011

Most people think it has something to do with the removed deny, parrrley bonus gold halved at max rank, raise morale giving less ad on passive/active, cannon barrage not granting kill gold or that healing reduction was buffed in the same patch it was removed from GP.

But in actual fact it is because of the v1.0.0.120 patch. First it removed Avarice Blade stacking, so basically most GPs built less poop than before (yes sadly even rushing Warmogs is better than stacking Avarice). The other big reason is because of a few of his skills. GP players that didn't get Trinity Force now had a slow and people couldn't deal with it. Shaco has a much better perma slow that can be applied from the same range and doesn't take 4 hits to reach full effectiveness, hell he even does bonus damage if he whacks you from behind, but he isn't OP. You don't run from a Shaco just like how you shouldn't run from a GP (it'll take a few months for people to realise this).

Another thing is that because more people started playing him, more people saw how useful his built in QSS was. The majority of players have probably never seen a QSS or someone using Cleanse in a game, so it looks like 'holy **** you can't even stop him killing you' even if it is inferior to Olaf in every way.

SuperSobotka

08-01-2011

during gangplank free week a couple of weeks ago i would solo top and destroy just about anyone else who would also solo top. 10-15minutes in i went back to buy, having more money then the opposing player simply by getting bonus gold from parley then would come back and could just about always just run up and destroy the person 1on1.

having a stacking snare and a zeal and if i needed my ult could dominate just about anyone who was also solo top then i would just farm more with parley until they came back.

passive snare, global ult, parley thats great for harrassing against someone who doesnt have great lane stability. sure certain characters would counter me, jarvan/irella but i think those two are the toughest "tanky dps" at the moment anyway.

oh and jungle gangplank coming out at level 6. hey my parley will snare you for 27%+7% three more times while i hit you, while being effected by my movement speed buff which i also gave to my ally in your lane, oh you flashed? ok ill just ult you so i can catch up

Bumbah

08-01-2011

He's not OP. His Parrley just hits hard, but that's balanced considering he only has 2 attacking abilities (Q, R). His other 2 spells are utility (heal/cleanse and buff)

Buizel

Recruiter

08-01-2011

Late game he's like a ranged Tryndamere, randomly critting you for 1000 just from a poke. Not fun to play against and with his flat 500 movement speed when he catches you you have no chance of getting away. He is also impossible to catch.

TheAftermanZero

09-26-2011

I had a gplank game. It was fun for me. I started with yommus. had full critical damage rune. ended the match with a 100% crit chance dealing 310% on crits. had cooldown from yommus too. 1 shot 1 kill. Turret. walk by it shoot you, walk away. if u somehow survive i just ulti ur face and laugh.

Mambazo

09-26-2011

It's because he's a tanky dps (already a very powerful type of character easily fit into any team) with amazing team utility due to his ult and E, a 20 second cd cleanse, global presence due to his ult, good lane sustain because of the aforementioned cleanse, a built in slow, and a very, very, very powerful Q. And by the way, some people think that removing the deny mechanism hurt gangplank. No way. His E is so much better now, they buffed the numbers insanely now that it no longer kills a creep, you can CAST IT ANYWHERE instead of having to be near one of your own minions.

Etherimp

09-26-2011

Look at his abilities and you'll see why he's OP

Passive: Slow on-hit effect from any of his attacks... That's melee OR Parrrlay!

Parrrlay: Good last hit mechanism early game, amazingly high damage crits from Atmogs/TF late game. He destroys squishies in 2-3 Parrrlays.

Remove Scurvey: A Cleanse + A Heal... 2 summoner spells in 1 ability. Will clear other peoples slows as well as stuff like Mordekaisers ult.

Raise Morale: Team wide speed/attack speed steroid. Compare this to Nunu's "Blood Boil".. Except it is not exclusive to him+target...it's TEAM WIDE and it makes him incredibly difficult to pin down, or run from.. especially if he hits you with any attacks and slows you from passive.

Cannon Barrage: Global AOE, which is HUGE, and it does considerable damage, and SLOWS, can steal buffs or clear minion waves, and just destroys teams who stand in the middle of it during a teamfight.

Yeah, pretty much he has an incredible kit. Much like Lee Sin. There's no reason NOT to play him. He can Jungle, Solo-top, or own the face of an AP Carry in mid. He can even play bottom support.

He's just too versitile and adds too much to the team.

Emorak

09-26-2011

GP is one of my main toons and still i would say he is pretty OP. With right runes and masteries you can own the other team. At level 1 I have killed players with 50% health with one parley shot, which is insane and kind of lame too for the victim. He can run faster than anyone on the map and catch and escape pretty much anyone and his ultimate win team fights if placed right.

skillpatrick

09-26-2011

with a slow on attack and oranges that make everything k,

whats not to love?

Mogs01gt

09-26-2011

Quote:
SilFerWolf:
Late game he's like a ranged Tryndamere, randomly critting you for 1000 just from a poke. Not fun to play against and with his flat 500 movement speed when he catches you you have no chance of getting away. He is also impossible to catch.

Agreed!

His skill set is very hard to deal with both 1v1 and in the laning phase. His crits hurt all champs in the game. Its hard to get close to him as an AD mele champ and most ranged champs do not have the survivability to handle his great harrass.

Also, his ability to close on a champ doing a team fight is unbeatable do to his ULT's slow and his passive movement speed.

The best counter I found against Gang in early game is to out harrass him. Make him use his heal to suck his mana down. With low mana, there is less of a chance of him crit hitting you.