Why is Gangplank OP?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fatkid55

07-31-2011

I don't know if I'm missing something but i just don't understand...

Carados

07-31-2011

One of the best melee carries in the game currently.

Philo, Trinity, tanky, Atmas, win game.

The people who think he's bad are still doing the stack crit and lose build.

Fatkid55

07-31-2011

What makes him one of the best melee carries though? I'm confused.

acosn

07-31-2011

At a basic level? He's incredibly difficult to pin down. He's got high movement speed, an item like phantom dancer is just expected on him, and he naturally gets cleanse. Chances are you can't catch him with most characters, and your snares and slows just wont phase him when he can eat citrus to break it.

Or he could simply slow you with his ult.

ImmacuIate

07-31-2011

Crits for > 1000 at higher levels, free cleanse every 20 seconds, attack and ms steroid that benefits whole team, global aoe slow and damage, perma slow and damage with passive...

Fatkid55

07-31-2011

So is he much like Irelia and Trundle where CC doesn't really affect you at all? Because if that's what makes him OP i don't understand why you don't see a whole bunch of Trundles trolling about.

acosn

07-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatkid55 View Post
So is he much like Irelia and Trundle where CC doesn't really affect you at all? Because if that's what makes him OP i don't understand why you don't see a whole bunch of Trundles trolling about.
Irelia was strong because her ability to stay alive trumped most people's DPS when she geared as a soaker.

Trundle is inherently a soaker / disruptor.

Gangplank is utterly different from these two characters, who are already different from one another.

I GAREN I

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-31-2011

because hes the only character that can crit harder then a turret hits at level 1. nuff said

Fatkid55

07-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by acosn View Post
Irelia was strong because her ability to stay alive trumped most people's DPS when she geared as a soaker.

Trundle is inherently a soaker / disruptor.

Gangplank is utterly different from these two characters, who are already different from one another.
I wasn't trying to say that all of their play styles are similar. I was just thinking that the use of CC on Irelia or Trundle is almost pointless, just like it might be on Gangplank.

Hiclic

08-01-2011

GP used to have a 50% heal debuff and dot on attack that did not apply on his Q. It was a 10 second debuff. Now he has a minor slow+dot that applies on Q but has such a short duration it can only be stacked up to the original damage through melee attacks. This means if you can fit 4 attacks into 3 seconds, you do more damage than a 10 second debuff would've. This decreased his utility and increased his damage to about 84DPS max every second after 3 seconds AS LONG AS the stacks can be maintained. The slow at that point is 28%. The slow is +/-/= countered by ghost, Sivir's ult, Shurelyas, etc.

That was his massive change.

His other ability CD's were lowered by a second or two, and then somewhat rebuffed with the last patch. However he's functionally stayed the same. His ability to "carry" hasn't changed. He was hitting that hard before the patch. The major differences are that other changes from his passive rework patch killed tankplank's ability to utilize GP/10 items, and the loss of his heal debuff hurt offtankplank who relied on Mallet->Atma's. So you're seeing more damage oriented builds early, when GP would generally skirmish until his itemized slow.

If people complain about his Q crits, they have no reason to complain about his changes. If people complain about his ability to stand-up fight, he's been buffed there a small bit.

The latest changes hurt GP's ability to farm and otherwise itemize a wee bit. They'll see how that changes him and make further adjustments if necessary.