Does the good Anivias really counter the good akalis?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wolf Un1t

07-31-2011

I still have a lot to learn about Anivia, but I do have hundreds of games with her under my belt. I'm not claiming to be an awesome "rape-all legendary anivia" but I am experainced with her. She is my main btw.

So I just played a game with, from what I saw an experianced Akali. I midded against her... her early game was weak, and I dominated that lane. Mid-game was when the nightmare began, she got a rylais. She was smart, she knew to focus me first in team fights. I tried doing everything I could against her, I AoE right in her bubble, but she didnt care, she can just teleport out of the ult in .1 second with her ult and destroy my hp, which means I have to take off my ult before it drains my mana any more and so I can place it where the enemy team moved to (given that I survive her burst, which was 40% of the time even with my banshees). Not to mention with that rylais she wasn't exactly easy to take down... we couldnt even get out of a 3(us) vs 1(akali) clean because her burst was huge and she would at least would kill one of us before dying. She went legendary 15-5-x

I looked up after that game "how to counter akali" and I was suprised that some actually said, "Anivia is brutal against Akail" OH RLLY?! "Just CC her Anivia cmon!" I can't because she moves so fast... teleports and of my ult, kills someone, then walks away like nothing happened! I'm able to get a Frostbite off on her but come on her wtf burst destroys me before i can consistently burst her down. I tried this next: I wait for her to ult, she ults on me and if that didnt kill me I ult on her and unleash my anivia combo, spam e, use q and w in valuable times, etc., that doesnt kill me, her ult is up again two seconds later, she kills me, Stun her with my q? nope, after shes done being stunned her CD are off again so she can burst down yet again.

That Glacial storm will tickle Akali in the shroud while you are draining your sweet sweet mana. She'll just ult out of it anyway if she gets bored of the storm.

Lairai

07-31-2011

Akali's weakness is CC and focus. Against an heavy CC team, she is doomed if the enemy team ever thinks to focus her. By heavy CC, i mean stun, knockups, whatnot. That's for teamfights.

Now if we're talking lane, once she gets a Rylais, you pretty much have to start the midgame. Get your jungler or team to gank mid and push. Otherwise, she will continue to pwn you in lane. Early, when she is squishier, zone her as much as possible. That's pretty much all I can say as an Akali player.

Stormous

07-31-2011

I play Akali as my main. I've had plenty of experience with her, and I'm working toward playing her to the expert level. What you've described is very typical for an Akali to do. Rylais is (I believe) essential to her core build. And in team fights, her job is to focus down the squishy carry champions by jumping in, dealing a round of burst, then getting out, and repeat. In the game you were in, I assume she got at least a few kills early game. As she piles up more kills, she gets increasingly harder to deal with.

Tips:
- Try and harass her as much as possible before she hits level 6. And if possible, score kill(s). Also, deny her from getting any kills on yourself in the laning phases.
- After hitting 6, she will most likely get more aggressive. Stay near your tower. Akali can take down squishy champions very quickly.
- During teamfights, protect your carries as much as possible. Stick to other carries if you are one. Sticking together will prevent her from killing carries which are otherwise too far away to receive immediate help from teammates.
- It requires heavy CC (stuns, slows, and silences, taunts, exhaust) and something to see into her shroud (oracles, wards) to bring down an experienced/kill-fed Akali.
- Building magic resist can shave a little damage off in her burst.
- If Akali begins to become a threat, coordinated ganks will help.
- When chasing an Akali, have enough health to survive her burst.

Hope this helps.

Wolf Un1t

07-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormous View Post
I play Akali as my main. I've had plenty of experience with her, and I'm working toward playing her to the expert level. What you've described is very typical for an Akali to do. Rylais is (I believe) essential to her core build. And in team fights, her job is to focus down the squishy carry champions by jumping in, dealing a round of burst, then getting out, and repeat. In the game you were in, I assume she got at least a few kills early game. As she piles up more kills, she gets increasingly harder to deal with.

Tips:
- Try and harass her as much as possible before she hits level 6. And if possible, score kill(s). Also, deny her from getting any kills on yourself in the laning phases.
- After hitting 6, she will most likely get more aggressive. Stay near your tower. Akali can take down squishy champions very quickly.
- During teamfights, protect your carries as much as possible. Stick to other carries if you are one. Sticking together will prevent her from killing carries which are otherwise too far away to receive immediate help from teammates.
- It requires heavy CC (stuns, slows, and silences, taunts, exhaust) and something to see into her shroud (oracles, wards) to bring down an experienced/kill-fed Akali.

Hope this helps.
Thank you all for your advice, and this helped a lot.

Rhia

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormous View Post

Tips:

Hope this helps.

I also main akali, but i play and build her differently it seems then my friends here. I have never played against another akali that could match me, not in ranked and not in normal. I do not build a Rylais's on her as her life steal passive mixed with a hex-gunblade more then beats the 500 hp boost from it also the slow from hex-blade is much better and her burst dmg is much higher. If you where playing against me and followed his advice by staying near other carries i would die of excitement at not having to go very far from one kill to the other. stay away from other likely targets unless the akali is building Rylais (if he/she is then its safe to assume they don't use akali very well so you could infact stay by other carries)

Don't chase an akali, unless your chasing three or more vrs only her or she will simply regen her energy and then burst down someone which will heal her for a lot. also at any given time akali can ult to mobs you didn't see or shoot you with her hex-blade and before you know it your being chased and not her.

The rest of the advice is good.

Carados

07-31-2011

It used to be completely one sided in Anivia's favor. Then they nerfed how spammable her ult is so it's about even now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsarra View Post
I do not build a Rylais's on her as her life steal passive mixed with a hex-gunblade more then beats the 500 hp boost from it also the slow from hex-blade is much better and her burst dmg is much higher.

You're a really, really bad Akali. Especially since you don't understand how her ult works, or that spellvamp is useless against burst damage.

Rhia

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carados View Post
It used to be completely one sided in Anivia's favor. Then they nerfed how spammable her ult is so it's about even now.

You're a really, really bad Akali. Especially since you don't understand how her ult works, or that spellvamp is useless against burst damage.

check my ranked stats with her and then try again. I know akali very well and could whipe the floor with you if you truly are that dumb.

Carados

07-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsarra View Post
check my ranked stats with her and then try again. I know akali very well and could whipe the floor with you if you truly are that dumb.
Make a point that isn't a complete fallacy and you'd have a point. As is, this is the strategies forum, not the check my elo forum.

Rhia

07-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carados View Post
Make a point that isn't a complete fallacy and you'd have a point. As is, this is the strategies forum, not the check my elo forum.

None of my points are a fallacy, you obviously are not experienced with akali or have a very limited understanding of how she works. I never once mentioned my ELO only my per game stats with akali.

Lizto

07-31-2011

Do* the good Anivias really counter the good akalis?

Any champion that can quickly CC Akali when she jumps in can give her a very hard time, anivia is pretty good, she can also place her ult by her shroud and every time akali strikes, Anivia E's, Qs. Anivia is not a "counter", she just has a good tool kit to handle her. Counters Id say are Lee Sin, Twisted Fate and to some extent, Caitlyn, champions that dont need vision wards to see her while stealthed.