Someone PLS EXPLAIN THIS!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DominatingIvory

02-15-2011

I'm getting into runes but I have no idea whats really the difference better magic penetration and armor penetration. Nor whats the difference between attack damage and ability power. How are they used and when are they used. I normally use Kog'Maw, so I'll use him for example on how I'm confused. When I use my Bio-Arcane, am I using my ability power, or attack damage? I really need someone to explain these things. I'm so lost and fear I'm wasting money on the wrong runes.

Thanks

omgwtflolbbl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-15-2011

For the most part, anything that scales with attack damage or states that it does physical damage will benefit from armor penetration, as well as any auto attacks. Such skills include Pantheon's Spear Shot and Heartseeker Strike, Ashe's Volley, Caitlyn's Piltover Peacemaker, Gangplank's Parrrley, Nasus's Siphoning Strike, and a few others. The majority of damaging abilities however deal magic damage and are best used with magic penetration.

For Kog'Maw, I believe his Bio-Arcane Barrage does magic damage. For a short while it was actually doing physical damage; I assume they reverted it back, but I could be wrong. If you wish to test, you could just get a friend to 1v1 you with teleport. Take the skill at level 1 and have them run mid with no items. Activate it and fire off a shot, and check the damage. Have them go back and buy some magic resist, and see if the damage done is altered.

Also, these penetration runes apply to items, too. If you have a Bloodrazor, you can improve the damage done by using magic penetration runes, as the 4% per hit it deals is done in magic damage.

Walrus Whisperer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-15-2011

By your lack of knowledge on ap and ad, I will assume you are a low level player and new to this game. I strongly suggest NOT getting runes until you are level 20. At that level, you can get the best runes but they cost lots of ip so you might as well start saving.

Attack damage vs ability power. Attack damage determines the strength of your auto attack in most champs. Also, some champion's abilities damage depends on attack damage. Ability power is for casters is decides the damage of most of their spells. You can find out more about what champions use what powers on the Lol Wikia. http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wik...f_Legends_Wiki

Lastly, magic penetration takes away an enemy champions magic resist which makes your magic attacks do more damage to them. The same is true with armor penetration for attack damage.

Hope that helped.

Sophyne

02-15-2011

Magic pen pierces Magic Resist, Armor pen pierces Armor. What's better usually depends on the champion.
AD is physical, AP is magic. General physical champs want AD and Casters want AP.
Kog can go either way, I think. It mostly depends on your team and the enemy team.

Walrus Whisperer

02-15-2011

P.S. all Kog Maw's spells use ability power

Shasyr

02-15-2011

Oh man, Koggy is not a fun example for explanation. I'll go over a few runes in general and see if that helps, and there are champ-specific guides that will help you find runes for specific champions.

First, Attack Damage (AD) is for physical-style moves and auto-attacks. Urgot's Acid Hunter skill uses AD. Ability Power (AP) is applied to magical damage moves, which make up the majority of the moves in LoL. Kog'Maw's Living Artillery uses AP. You can see whether or not a skill is modified by AP or AD by the color of the number by the base number: red is AD, green is AP.

Armor pen: Used for primarily physical champions, or hybrid champions that utilize physical attacks often, such as Kayle. She, Tryndamere, Ashe, or Master Yi would use these.

Magic pen: Used for many casters, especially those with lower AP ratios like Fiddlestix. AP is plentiful on a variety of items, whereas mpen is less available, which is why it's often runed for.

There's the two runes you mentioned, and a little bit about AP and AD.

Cenerae

02-15-2011

Well...armor penetration works with physical damage (produced by your right click on Kog and none of his other abilities), and magic penetration works with magic damage (produced by all of Kog's abilities, except his ult does true damage I think?).

Attack damage boosts physical damage and ability power boosts magical damage.

When you use Bio-arcane Barrage on Kog, your autoattack gets upgraded with bonus range and a special effect of dealing % based magic damage to the target. It's still doing the same thing as it always did, it just adds the effect of BaB to the attack.

For Kog, you want to prioritise magic penetration over armor pen, since the bulk of your damage is magic. For your glyphs, seals and quints you might want to look at mana regeneration (for seals/glyphs) or runes that help make you less squishy (health, armor or magic resist).

Try to buy runes that play to the strengths of your champion, or ones that help cover the weaknesses up.

LyraOrpheo

02-15-2011

Armor penetration as the name implies, penetrates armor. The more Armor penetraton you have, the less effective is the damage mitigation of items that give armor like Chain Mail. Magic penetration is the same but for items that give magic resist like Negatron Cloak or Null Cape.

Attack damage gives your auto attacks more power, while ability power gives your skills more power, so in Bio Arcane you're using your ability power, same goes for Living Artillery

Kog'Maw fires artillery from a great distance. After a short delay, the artillery falls dealing 80/120/160 (+0.3) magic damage and reveals targets for 4 seconds (deals 150% bonus damage to Champions).

Do you see that 0.3? that means that for every point in ability power you have, your Living Artillery will do an extra 0.3 damage. So at 100 ability power, Living Artillery is gonna deal 30 extra damage.

When you see the (+ number) on a skill it means it ability power will give it more damage unless the skill states that it will deal more damage the more Attack damage you have like with Pantheon's Spear Shot or Ashe's Volley.

Gevem

02-16-2011

if you want to know what the skill needs ap or ad, just look at the color of the number. If its green its ap, if red ad. By number I mean where the added dmg is.

thirdp

07-31-2011

First, sorry for my english.
question: My auto attack deal physical damage and bio-arcane add magical damage. So my target defend my attaque with armor defence, magical defence or both??