Help with Olaf

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dumbledof

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-31-2011

I picked up Olaf recently and I think he's fun to play but i'm kinda bad with him. I was wondering if someone could help me out with the gameplay mostly.
I lane with him (I hate jungling so don't tell me to)
I'm still experimenting with the build but it always focuses mainly on attack speed and lifesteal.
I'm a very aggressive player

mekabar

08-01-2011

Check out this guide:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...d.php?t=744258

It explains not only a viable way to lane Olaf, but a playstyle that is generally superior to autoattacking Olaf. It works by buidling Olaf as "caster" through max CDR and mana and subsequently spamming Undertow and Reckless Swing on extremly low CDs (or even without in case of Undertow).

pubstar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-01-2011

Laning Olaf is generally pretty awful. You're going to have to get really skilled with him. The issues with Olaf are that he has no sustainability, high mana costs & he's generally very easy to shut down early game. This all makes him so easily countered in lane. Just sayin'

tyson789

08-01-2011

I enjoy laning olaf. Olaf can be a strong solo laner and with the right partner can dominate bot lane. I use defensive masteries and runes. Prioritize reckless swing since the true damage at low levels is ridiculous. Ignore W since the mana cost is too high early levels and need to save mana for reckless swing and ax.

Bloodpee

08-01-2011

I usually do a bit better laning with Olaf than jungling with him, mostly because he's not a great ganker early on which causes top lane to rage when you come to gank and they don't get a kill ('cuz making them b early is bad...?) which then causes them to intentionally feed or quit. Anyway, I tend to harass hard with his axe throw after I get Philosopher's Stone. Before then, I just use it to last hit minions (while trying to hit enemy champs, but mostly just last-hitting). Max reckless swing, build tanky since you don't really scale well with AD anyway, and just keep pushing the enemy champs back (while not pushing your lane unless it's safe or you have a good shot at the tower). I build him tanky with movement speed, so he's really hard to get away from, or to catch, and compensates for his lack of a gap closer. By endgame, he blows up enemy carries and can take a pretty good beating before going down. Max Reckless Swing first if you're confident you won't get yourself too low on HP and just go to town. Most champs will die in 3-5 casts of Reckless Swing alone when it's rank 5, especially if you've been zoning them hard.

I usually don't bother with lifesteal since your W should give you enough if you build fairly tanky (usually I get Warmog's and Force of Nature unless they're AD heavy, where I'll go Atma's Impaler instead of FoN). If I get fed, sometimes I'll get a Bloodthirster for the extra AD and lifesteal, but I don't feel it's worth it if you're not ahead.