Countering jax: Because lamp posts hurt

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dissonance119

07-31-2011

In a depressing trend, I lose almost every single time there's a Jax on the enemy team.
He's not a common champion, so it's mostly people who know him who play him.

I've looked around, I've read his abilities. He just looks so **** powerful.

At level 2, I've seen jax burst me for 200-300 damage with his jump combo. I can never retaliate enough to sustain my lane.

I usually play the following champions, if it helps: Renekton, Brand, Orianna, Trundle, Taric,Urgot, Rammus, Lux, Maokai

I find his burst damage, mobility, low cooldowns and +dodge very difficult to deal with.

Help?

Blazingdragoon

07-31-2011

For your three fragile casters, your best bet is to tower hug early game if you see them coming at you, or try to disable them. For brand, probably conflagration into sear for the stun and run would be your best bet, lux would be her bind, and for orianna I guess just try to slow him. If he's getting that close to you as a caster then your tanks and other players should be doing a better job of keeping them off of you, or you need to move back from the front lines a bit. Playing too aggressively against a jax as a caster will get you killed fast.

As for all the others, I would say use your abilities in conjunction with the rest of the team to prioritize Jax as a target and take him down. Binding with Maokai, taunting with Rammus, swapping with urgot, agony with Trundle, and stunning with Renek are all good ways to keep Jax in check, but communicate with your team and let them know that you are prioritizing jax as a target, which is a good thing to do since late game he is a massive damage dealer.

Dissonance119

07-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazingdragoon View Post
For your three fragile casters, your best bet is to tower hug early game if you see them coming at you, or try to disable them. For brand, probably conflagration into sear for the stun and run would be your best bet, lux would be her bind, and for orianna I guess just try to slow him. If he's getting that close to you as a caster then your tanks and other players should be doing a better job of keeping them off of you, or you need to move back from the front lines a bit. Playing too aggressively against a jax as a caster will get you killed fast.

As for all the others, I would say use your abilities in conjunction with the rest of the team to prioritize Jax as a target and take him down. Binding with Maokai, taunting with Rammus, swapping with urgot, agony with Trundle, and stunning with Renek are all good ways to keep Jax in check, but communicate with your team and let them know that you are prioritizing jax as a target, which is a good thing to do since late game he is a massive damage dealer.
What if I'm facing jax in top lane 1v1? Do I give up farming capacity to survive?

Blazingdragoon

07-31-2011

Well that depends who you are facing Jax alone as, for starters. And yes, you always give up farming for the ability to survive, and furthermore, you must learn how to kill creeps effectively while the tower is also wailing on them.

If you are laning 1v1 against a jax consistently and you don't want to compromise with being more defensive, then stop going into a 1v1 jax laning situation. Jax can be a bully in lane, so you must either out damage him or play defensively. There really is no other option.

moneymango

07-31-2011

Gank jax early and often I would say. He is pretty lackluster in the first few levels but turns into a monster late game. I found one of the biggest problems I had as Jax was a Chogath. His silence lasts for ages, and can stop jax from getting his stun off.

Dissonance119

07-31-2011

So hey, silence to counter Jax. That's a thought!

moneymango

07-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissonance119 View Post
So hey, silence to counter Jax. That's a thought!
Someone like kass might be good, he can pop in and silence then pop out without taking any damage.

Xentorx

07-31-2011

I get sword of the divine on xin and rape him.

R4idenZero

07-31-2011

you said he has a burst of 200-300 damage, but not only him! remember he uses 2 skills and remember that he is melee after the jump, so best thing to do is:
- harass while there are no creeps to farm with autoattacks or skills (dont go out of mana for that)
-when he jumps you MUST attack him, dont be feared from the damage you recieve, thats the time you can counter him, if you skill him twice like him, he will get back the damage he dealt to you or even more
- carefull to his stun skill, look at his shield
- at level 6 dont let him autoattack, his atkspd can be deadly

if you cant handle his harass try to get healthregen, or flat health

Etherimp

07-31-2011

One of the things I like to do against super aggressive melee characters (like Jax, Xin, Akali, etc) is play VERY defensive to the point of looking like a total wussy. Make them think you are weak. Bait them into tower diving you, then run in circles around your tower while they try to auto attack you, and stun/slow/snare them on their way out. This will almost always kill them, as often times they WAY over-commit and do not anticipate you playing ring-around-the-turret with them.

Another thing was touched on above about calling ganks. Top lane needs jungle to gank. It's that simple. If Jax is over-extending on you and harassing you, and your jungler comes along and puts him in his place Jax will start thinking twice about auto-attacking mobs and pushing his lane...or he just starts feeding.

Once he starts playing more out towards the middle (Rather than pushing you against your tower), use the bush to avoid him leap striking you. Pop out of the bush for a split second, last hit your minion, and go back into the bush. If he runs into the bush you CC him (if possible), deal some damage, and get out of the bush.

Also, carry potions. This helps. Never let yourself get low enough where you can be burst down so easily.

Rammus has taunt. Lux and Maokai have a snare. Renekton has a stun. Trundle has a slow. Urgot has his swap. Jax should be scared $#!7less to tower-dive any of those characters.

Also, as lux, you should probably be mid.. not solo-top. Trundle you should probably jungle.