Looking for Recommendations

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

smifcollege

07-31-2011

OK so, I'm in a situation right now where I'm not sure where my priorities should be and I figured I'd see what other people might have to say. I am a recent level thirty. I have one full AP runepage and am working on a tanky runepage. I really love playing AP and Tanky AP type characters, I'm not so comfortable with melee dps or AD carry classes for whatever reason and I have almost no desire to jungle, though from what I hear it may be necessary for me to learn it at some point (blegh). The champs I play pretty well are as follows (in order of my skill with them).

Karthus (My farm is generally around 80-90 cs on him by the 10-12 minute mark)
Alistar
Cho'Gath
Zilean

Now, I'm trying to figure out what steps to take next. Do I buy another runepage and fill it with runes for roles I'd rather not play (also, meaning buying champions to fill those roles as well)? Or do I continue to expand my facility with champions in my preferred playstyle? I really, really love solo laning, I'm pretty dominant in mid with Karthus and I 2v1 pretty well top with cho'gath. I do pretty well support bot with either alistar or zilean (and hopefully, with lots of practice, janna) when needed. I'm considering a few different champions at this point that fit into the roles I prefer but would add a little versatility to my options.

1. Brand, for another highly dominant mid lane champion that brings a stun to the table.
2. Gragas, a tanky caster that has ******ed range and would give me another solo top option. Also he just looks like a blast to play.
3. Blitzcrank, for tons of fun on bottom, his hook just seems sooooooo clutch when used properly and yeah he just looks like loads of fun.
4. Swain, I like his potential, seems like once you get his various builds down there would be a lot of cool ways of making him very powerful but I'm a little unsure about him.

These are the main four I am considering although if any other champions come to mind please feel free to suggest them. As you can see I kind of love champs with Skillshots and GTAOE, I don't know why, they just seem like the most fun to me. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Funkedelike

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-31-2011

Have you tried Morgana? She seems a bit up your alley, but she has no burst so idk.

lastchancexi

07-31-2011

I would play what you enjoy. But I think tanky AP characters need to be built differently than non tanky ones.

Tanky AP characters want armor/dodge seals and MR glyphs (alistar, cho'gath), while non-tanky AP characters want Mp/5 level seals and AP/CDR glyphs. (brand, Karthus, Zilean)

So even with just playing casters, you'll want to have two rune pages.

smifcollege

07-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastchancexi View Post
I would play what you enjoy. But I think tanky AP characters need to be built differently than non tanky ones.

Tanky AP characters want armor/dodge seals and MR glyphs (alistar, cho'gath), while non-tanky AP characters want Mp/5 level seals and AP/CDR glyphs. (brand, Karthus, Zilean)

So even with just playing casters, you'll want to have two rune pages.
Yeah, well one thing I've noticed is that tanky AP (like gragas) have really high AP ratios. This means each point of AP goes further with them. So yeah my tanky runepage is going to be something like something like Flat HP quints, MPen Marks, Flat Armor seals, Flat MR glyphs. I feel like that's decent generalized tankyness until I develop to the point where I can make more specific runepages for individual champs. All I have left on my tanky page is half the seals and the glyphs.

smifcollege

07-31-2011

bump

Etherimp

07-31-2011

Currently you play

1 true tank (ap)
1 tanky dps/off tank (ap)
1 support (ap)
1 AP carry

With those characters you can

1. Babysit bottom (Cho, Alister, Zilean)
2. Solo-top (Cho and Alister)
3. Solo-mid (Karthus)
4. Jungle/roam (Cho and Alister)

All of those characters benefit from AP.

Cooldown Reduction Blues. Flat or Scaling, doesn't matter. I prefer flat.
Yellow, I would go either Mana Regen per level, or Armor, or both.
Quints, you're going to want Flat HP Quints and possibly Flat AP Quints.
Reds you're definitely going to want Magic Penetration and possibly Magic Resist.

Obviously the Armor/resist are going to be for your more tanky characters and the damage-centric runes are going to be for Karthus and any other AP carrys you pick up. But for right now you would do well with Cooldown Reduction Blues, Armor Yellows, Health Quints, and Magic Pen Reds. Those 4 together may not be OPTIMAL for all 4 of your characters but they will not be wasted on ANY of your 4 characters.

If you want to learn to jungle, I recommend picking up Nunu and/or Warwick. Both are Tier 1 junglers and (for me at least), Nunu is extremely easy to learn to jungle with.

As far as expanding your available "roles", you will EVENTUALLY want to pick up an AD carry or two. Caitlyn, Ashe, and Master Yi are all good choices. Out of those 3, Ashe is probably the most difficult (because she's very squishy and you have to know how to kite with her), but she is also the most rewarding once you know how to play her.

That said, if you can play a Tank then that's all you're going to usually need. MOST players want to play high burst damage characters, assassins, etc. They want to get the most kills on the scoreboard at all times. This is why you will see 4 players in a normal game all auto-lock characters like Akali, Katarina, Annie, Ryze, Master Yi, Tryndamere, etc. But what does that leave you without? That's right.. A tank. So you'll find yourself having to play a tank more often than not.

However! Let's say you somehow manage to jump in a game where someone auto-locks a tank... Then of course you could always play Karthus and solo-mid, or if everyone has already picked DPS, you can go with Zilean (Who is insanely OP), or you can go Cho-gath and jungle with him (as junglers are usually in short supply), and he acts as a Tanky-DPS/Off-Tank when it comes to team fights.

Overall I'd say you're pretty much set for a while. I wouldn't worry too much about buying new rune pages. Get as good as you can with the 4 champs you have and possibly pick up a few others who also will benefit from the same runes. Once you get to the point where you WANT a change of pace, THEN pick up an AD carry or two.

smifcollege

07-31-2011

Yeah, I'm not that interested in Jungle (hate the idea of getting counter jungled) or AD (boring). I think I'm just going to do my best to refine my skills with AP and Tanky AP/Tank/support for now and work slowly toward a runepage for jungling and AD eventually. Maybe I'll pick up Brand for a good alternate pick to Karthus for mid, and then Gragas to give me another solo top pick, once I finish my tanky runepage.

Etherimp

07-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by smifcollege View Post
Yeah, I'm not that interested in Jungle (hate the idea of getting counter jungled) or AD (boring). I think I'm just going to do my best to refine my skills with AP and Tanky AP/Tank/support for now and work slowly toward a runepage for jungling and AD eventually. Maybe I'll pick up Brand for a good alternate pick to Karthus for mid, and then Gragas to give me another solo top pick, once I finish my tanky runepage.
That's why I recommended starting with Nunu and/or Warwick. Both are very strong junglers and they can deal with counter jungling and they could counter-jungle themselves. Especially Nunu. Very easy to walk into someone elses jungle, consume a minion, and throw off their XP. Nunu is also an "AP" tanky-dps so he would fall in line with what you're accustomed to playing already and you could easily get runes for him

I run:

Armor Pen Reds
Armor Yellows
CDR Blues
Flat HP Quints

Notice how the only one in that list which does not appear in my list above of suggested runes is the Armor Pen.

Not saying you HAVE to jungle if you're not comfortable with it... just showing you a way you could easily transition into it without leaving your comfort zone too much.

If you like Brand you might also like Anivia. She was the first champ I bought and she was a good investment.