Nunu- Role?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

XTreeX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-31-2011

hi guys
just wanted to clarify nunu's role because every game with him i seem to be lacking tihngs the other champions do.
just wanted to clarify his role. so im tihnking jungler and ganker (early game) tanky soak late-game.

but im not too sure so a quick answer would be nice

thanks guys

BombBuggy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-31-2011

There's a lot of things nunu can do. Jungler, roamer, push push push push push bot, and a type of offtank.

I always use him as a jungler and roamer, but he can lane just fine as well. He's got good staying power with his free smite/heal and his free spells every 7 attacks. I wouldn't build him as a pure tank though, he lacks an initiate and a stun. If you wanted to build a bit tanky, which is perfectly fine, a banshees veil and a rod of ages are already common in a jungling, roaming, or laning build. Maybe you could grab a randuins for just insane slowage, all the time. But you should be fine if you play properly A tanks job isn't to get all attacks focused on them and just take it. It is to initiate, soak up a bit of cc, and get those carries in the back into a vulnerable position. If all goes well, the tank won't take much damage... Because the enemies will be dead ;D

He is very versatile though, so go where your team needs you ^^

Eye of the Yeti

07-31-2011

Primarily, Nunu's respected role is an invasion jungler. Useful in the early game for DESTROYING the enemy jungle. Early- to mid-game he has the permaslow and permahaste required to allow an ally to chase down their prey, which makes for a kick-ass gank. (Red buff may or may not be required, depending on who's being ganked)

His usefulness tends to taper off towards the late game, unless your opponents are low on cc. If they have 1 or 2 cc moves, try Banshee's Veil and build some AP (Starting Rod of Ages then later on if you get fed or farmed nicely you can buy a deathcap, but only after tankiness) and your ult can destroy. I say can because...well...it's a 4 second channel. "Will destroy" is not really appropriate here.

Here's a quick rundown.

1. Use Blood Boil on your carry. BAM you're a support.
2. Use your ult after cc has been used in a teamfight. BAM you're an AoE timebomb.
3. Use your Ice Ball to slow your opponents as they try to flee. BAM you're a mop.
4. Eat a minion. You've earned it.

EDIT: read my post in this thread for a detailed description of my Nunu jungle: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1031244

XTreeX

08-01-2011

hey yeti thanks for the help again hows this build?
nunu lacks the ability of a tank so building hi mtakny AP i find works quite nicely i like to go

- ionion treads
-banshees
-rabbadons
-frozen heart
-ryali's
- zhonyas hourglass

it gives me more AP then defense but enough to survive a few hard hits.

let me know what you think of this build

Aikimiller

08-01-2011

yes, tanky AP is the way to go with him. He plays as a support ganker, with a great deal of versatility. Late game he transitions into more of a support off-tank, bloodboil the carries, slow the enemies, ult to sow confusion, consume for a little extra health in a teamfight.

However, Ryalai's scepter is a pointless item for him- the two abilities that proc this already slow the enemy. The flip side of the argument is that it is one of the few HP/AP items, although I would probably go for a spirit visage instead, as it is really good on nunu. CDR, MR, and better healing off consume, and more HP are all things he likes to have.

Ionian treads are the boots Nunu wants. Banshee's veil, frozen heart, abyssal sceptre, rod of ages are all good iteams for him. Rabadons late game for more AP, or Hextech Gunblade if you find yourself wanting more pushing power (the extra damage combined with bloodboil helps towers go down faster, the extra survivability and AP are good in teamfights.).

Late game, the ult should be considdered as an initiation tool and CC- you want it to get interrupted, because that means they're stunning the tank, and not the carry you just bloodbloiled. However, if you can manage to hide in a bush you can frequently get the full channel off late game, as the enemies can't see the channel if they can't see you. It's also very good at causing confusion among the enemy team- as if the carry sees they're in it, they will normally try to get out of it.

Analu

08-01-2011

At high Elo, Nunu is normally played as a tank-support hybrid. Aside from banshee's, which you need to make your ult a threat, a good Nunu build is auras, auras, and auras.

Eye of the Yeti

08-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTreeX View Post
hey yeti thanks for the help again hows this build?
nunu lacks the ability of a tank so building hi mtakny AP i find works quite nicely i like to go

- ionion treads
-banshees
-rabbadons
-frozen heart
-ryali's
- zhonyas hourglass

it gives me more AP then defense but enough to survive a few hard hits.

let me know what you think of this build
I'm not sure why you have a downvote for this one, tbh. You're not wrong. In a situation where you have a good tank and your team is balanced towards physical, it's worth it to build this much AP. However, if you're able to get it before 20 minutes, RoA is a MUST HAVE. If you're able to afford this whole build, there is no doubt in my mind that you can build a RoA by 20. If you're laning, it's worth it to start mana crystal 2 pot and go back at 925 (or 1275 if you can wait) gold to get the full Catalyst (with boots), then get a Wand as your next item.

Nunu is JUST FINE with 80 AP. There is nothing wrong with stopping him there. My recommended build (after all is said and done) goes something like this:

Ionian Boots are a great choice. Merc Treads are also a prime pick. Depending on your playstyle Mobility can be advantageous. Probably not though.
Rod of Ages. For me, no exceptions. It's the bread and butter of my Nunu core.
Aegis of the Legion is an amazing item that offers an excellent gold return even alone. With your team around you its value multiplies (quite literally.)
Banshee's Veil is opted for before FoN because of the health and mana bonuses. I have a soft spot for FoN, but I make no use of it on Nunu.
If you find you're struggling against physical damage, Thornmail is a good way to repel all boarders. If you're not the primary focus but are still dying from physical damage, Randuin's Omen is always nice.
That covers 5 spots. So far I have 0 purely offensive items. Even RoA has a great health bonus. In your sixth spot...well, if you've made it this far you may as well get a deathcap. Hourglass isn't recommended because you're probably not being focused. If you are being focused, hell. Get a Guardian Angel instead of a deathcap. Defense is a-ok.

This is a bit of a sloppy post, my stomach is full and I'm thinking of sleep, but I hope you got the gist.

Warrrrax

08-01-2011

Rod of Ages is a great item. It boosts his health a LOT (650+), and also boosts his mana supply significantly. Catalyst is also a nice first item to keep him jungling and ganking without going OOM/health.

It is quite possible to build him almost full AP and do decently well, as you should NOT be the main tank. This gives you quite a bit of punch and extends the late game.

General Purpose build:

Nunu - Jungle. Flash,Smite
9-21-0 Jungle,XP runes.
--------------------------
+ boots 3 Pots. (he can do perfectly well with this start which speeds up jungle and 1st gank)
+ Catalyst (great starting item to make him tougher, boost manapool and regen him)
+ Negatron Cloak (plug his magic resist hole. Really makes him tough)
-> Rod of Ages (big health,manapool boost and finally some AP)
+ Giant's Belt (more toughness)
-> Sunfire Cape (provides melee damage and farm assist and armor)
-> Ionic Boots (CDR is king with him)
+ Aegis of Legion (great tanky goodness and team help)
+ Fiendish Codex
-> Evil Tome (more CDR, good AP and mana regen)
-> Abyssal Scepter|Banshee (complete the build)

A full AP build would be: (preferably 9-0-21 with CDR runes)

+ boots +3pots
+ Rod of Ages (as before. great startting item)
+ Negatron Cloak (ditto.. plug magic resist hole)
-> Sorc Shoes (magic pen for more damage)
+ Fiendish Codex
-> Evil Tome (big CDR, high AP, mana regen)
+ NLR
-> Deathcap (huge AP)
-> Abyssal Scepter (more AP)
+ Void Staff (AP and magic pen)

This gives you 40 flat magic pen and 40% plus 15%. You also have reasonably toughness thru Rod, natural toughness, and 80ish armor/MR.

Cenerae

08-01-2011

Late game, Nunu's job is to find the best spot to ult in, while blood boiling the carry. You don't even need much AP to be a threat (since a full channel does 1125 damage at rank 3 without any at all, and the ratio is insane), so if building AP items is leaving you too fragile don't hesitate to grab some tankier stuff.

It's a shame his lategame is so dull, because ganking with him early is a blast. :/

Melvear

08-01-2011

It's worth mentioning that both devour and ice blast scale 1:1, which means that AP provides both a fair amount of sustainability as well as damage, given that with max cdr, ice blast is something like 3 seconds of cooldown.