Gragas 'Drunken Rage' Animation

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Idomis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-30-2011

I was watching a brand new player try Gragas today and they were having a lot of trouble using Drunken Rage. Whenever the ability is cast, a channel bar appears that fills up (from left to right) as Gragas lifts the cask, and then it de-channels (right to left) as Gragas drinks. The AD/damage reduction bonus is applied after Gragas finishes drinking. The problem this new player had was that she would move Gragas immediately after the initial channel filled up, thereby losing out on the AD/damage reduction bonus.

I'd recommend removing the initial channel. It really only serves as a timer for the cask lift animation and is evidently confusing to new players.

Knight Party

07-30-2011

Or you could just stand still till hes done drinking.

GalacticFlame

07-30-2011

Yah it's something I had to get used to as well, but eventually you learn to be able to just take a chill pill. Gragas' W is probably one of the best animated skills in my opinion, but that's off topic. As for your suggestion, it might be confusing for new players, but they'll get the hand of it eventually.

Giltia Zero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-30-2011

Took me two games to realize why I wasn't getting my mana and was missing some of my buffs when I played Gragas.

The tooltip could use some extra clarification, but that's it. No need to change the ability over something like this. There are plenty more abilities in the game that take some know how to learn. Things like the fact that tethers stick to a pooling Vlad, for instance, are something you'd never know until you tried it.

Idomis

07-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giltia Zero View Post
Took me two games to realize why I wasn't getting my mana and was missing some of my buffs when I played Gragas.

The tooltip could use some extra clarification, but that's it. No need to change the ability over something like this. There are plenty more abilities in the game that take some know how to learn. Things like the fact that tethers stick to a pooling Vlad, for instance, are something you'd never know until you tried it.
That learning curve is exactly why there's no reason to have the first channel. It denotes nothing except the animation of Gragas raising his cask, and the animation serves to do that. The ability shouldn't be anymore visually complicated to the user than necessary. If a bar fills up from empty, it's understandable to assume that the ability is complete. As something counter-intuitive to new players, it should be a candidate for a second look.