Clairvoyance OP?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kajitii

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-01-2010

I don't know if it's just the ELO I'm at or what, but it seems to be absurdly powerful for a summoner spell from where I'm standing. Short cooldown, temporary ward, and denies the advantages of grass, at the cost of another summoner spell. I don't know how other people play with it, because it is a rare thing to come across in PUGs, but generally I've seen them ram it in the grass to little effect.

"Oh, but if you use Clair, the enemy can see it and it is wasted!"

Bullcrap I say. When you're using +-30 seconds from minion spawning, the enemy usually won't have time to switch up lanes if you light them up in the grass, plus you know how to prepare yourself further, if possible. You pretty much don't lose anything, and they have a lot to lose in terms of the element of surprise, which is the main strength of ganks.

Clairvoyance also denies cover that grass normally provides. What are you going to do about that when you're trying to run? And yes I've had to use trickery with grass to get away some times.

Yet another benefit of Clairvoyance is to prevent stupid deaths if you wander into the jungle. Don't know if the enemy is hiding in there? Light up the whole dam place and count how many red circles there are on the minimap. I've stolen the enemy buffs quite a few times, even in spite of junglers. It is also a bonus in case you have a teammate that constantly likes to go by himself (and isn't stupid); save you and your team some grief by giving him the opportunity to not die.

"But the enemy can use your Clair to their advantage if you use it!"

That may or may not be true, but it depends on them being able to see where you planted it. Here's a little technique I call "Rim Lighting." Instead of planting it on top of where you think they'll be, you plant it so far away that they won't be able to see it on their screens if they constantly have spacebar hammered, yet not so far away that you can still actually see them. Sometimes knowing where they are in one instance is good enough. The spell itself won't tell you where the AoE is, so it takes a little practice.

Also, many more key locations can be lit on the edge of Clairvoyance rather than in the middle. Why wouldn't you get more out of your summoner spell?

Should they be good enough to actually use their ears to listen for that Clairvoyance sound, and they actually believe it's Clairvoyance being used, they'll spend time looking for it. It's a waste of their time, and I've actually managed to counter-gank the team before.

tl;dr Smart users of Clairvoyance can ruins ganks, lets you counter-gank, and lets you be all ninja-like in their jungle.

Having said that stuff, Clairvoyance can only be used on a select few champions without hindering their performance a lot. That is the only cost. Of all the recent "good" Anivia games I've played, the majority of the ones where I took Clairvoyance instead of Clarity are winning ones.

brb church, discuss.

JackAubrey

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-01-2010

Wouldn't say it's OP. Great on support characters, bad on carries, can't see stealthed champs anymore.

Evilpigeon

Adjudicator

05-01-2010

Clairvoyance is pure awesome. It's pretty necessary for a team to play seriously, in the same way that it's necessary to have a tank - one or two is good but don't overdo it.

On the other hand, you're unlikely to get loads of people coming to complain about it because it gimps pretty much all heroes equally and it adds to the game IMO.

Morinav

05-01-2010

Great skill that benefits a well organized team.

It doesn't do anything numerically for the game. No heals, no buffs, no mana restored, no damage, nothing like that. It's simply pure awareness. I use it on some champs and really like it.

The weakness of Clairvoyance is that it won't help you once a fight starts. It can help you set one up, it can help you prevent a gank, but once the chips are down it's of no use at all. (This is barring you using it during a team fight when someone's MIA and suspect them trying to circle around come out of the river or something)

Edit: I think it's fine the way it is. Not OP, and not UP, but very situational. Some games it's super useful, others it's basically wasted.

Vangu

05-01-2010

I use clairvoyance every time I play Soraka and can say it has saved me more times then heal or anything else and it has got my team more kills then Ignite. But as others said some games its just a huge waste of a summoner spell. I think its a great spell but if you really want it to be useful go pure utility to buff it more and lower the CD.

68iOweYou1

05-01-2010

perfect for a tank i agree but definatly not for a DPS and provides very little in a team fight

Xocolatl

05-01-2010

Not sure if it's that good on a tank. I mean, it's good, but a tank might do better with other items.

Anyway, I always use it when I play support. I always surprise my own team when I suddenly tell them who's going in which lane by Clairvoyance at the very beginning of the match.

The spell is a godsend for people with map awareness. It doesn't help at all in PUG though.
Overall, I think it's in a good place.

DeleetLeker

05-02-2010

It is a good spell for any team to have, Flash and Clairvoyance are the 2 abilities you can`t go wrong with.

Eppa

05-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuayThaiFTW View Post
perfect for a tank i agree but definatly not for a DPS and provides very little in a team fight
It can often mean an ace late game.

Poochy

05-02-2010

amazing on TT with any character good on SR with certain characters