[Guide]Shen: Tank Assasin

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Notmiefault

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-08-2010

See, I don't like sunfire cape because Shen spends a lot of time harrying from a distance, where sunfire is kind of useless. I don't like guardian angel because, hey, I never die anyway once I get up to higher levels anyway. But really, 80% of your success with Shen will be how you play him, not what items you get. If your item build works, go for it. I just think that the choice between higher armor/MR and higher health should go to health, since health also gives you an offensive advantage.

OP Hibari

Recruiter

07-09-2010

Okay. When you say energy regen...do you mean mana regen or is there something else entirely?>_<

Notmiefault

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-10-2010

There are I believe four new runes: +2 energy, +2.64 energy at level 18 (those two are glyphs), +.6 energy regen per 5 seconds, and plus (I believe) 1.1 energy regen per five seconds at level 18 (those two are seals).

They are only useful for ninja.

Arumite

07-10-2010

Good guide OP. It is very close to how I have been playing Shen since day 1 of his release. I support you on your decision to level vorpal asap. I have extensively tested both the vorpal first and dash first route and 9.9 times out of 10 do better with the vorpal route. Early game you need vorpal for dmg output and healing and harass plain and simple. Shen's attack damage is pee pee poor and his ki strike is nice but you cant rely on it when you need it instantly.

My skilling order is typically
blade
feint
blade
dash
blade
ULT
blade
feint/dash
blade
(i then alternate between feint and dash keeping them pretty much even, obviously prioritizing ULT)

The thing to understand on Shen's Dash, I think, is that it is not like Rammus' taunt (a champ I also have alot of experience with). The Rammus taunts power lies in its duration. Shens taunt/dash's power isn't as much in its duration as it is in its range and its ability to affect all that it hits.

I use it on key enemy champions, the DPS'ers, stunners, enemy champs that will break your team (Ryze combo, panth combo, Annie stun, ranged champs that hang out in the back, etc.). Basically whichever enemy champ is doing the best on their team, I try to anticipate when he is going to blow his load, and before he does, I ping him, dash him, vorpal him (which should be maxed or nearly maxed providing maximum healing and damage), and help the team burn him down. I of course also use it to chase, escape, scout, speed up and all that, but its best use is obviously in team fights and crucial moments. IMO 2-3 levels is all you need mid game and in the transition to late game.

As far as items go. i typically start with Doran's shield, then usually merc treads. I then try really hard to get SunFire Cape as soon as possible. It will make you a farmer. It helps with last hits on creeps. It gives decent health, and decent armor. Since you are a tank and are usually up in the enemies faces anyway, the aoe damage adds up in teamfights. After that it depends on the enemy team. If I find that I am taking alot of magic/ability/stun dmg, then i take banshees veil next. If its AD/auto attack dmg, then I'm already pretty well off against it with a SF Cape so I go Warden Mail (cause it builds to randuin omen). Basically, I pick from Banshees veil, Randuins omen, guardian angel based on the enemy team. i typically try to keep my resistances balanced, unless the enemy is just ALL AP or all AD. All of the above items also give health.

I have done getting the ruby crystal before and upgrading to heart of gold. And then went to leviathan. I still do really well with that build. I just feel that the farming capabilities of the SF Cape outweighs the Gold/10 of the HoG.

Anyway, those are my opinions. Sorry, didn't mean for this post to be so long.

Onyxius

07-11-2010

Hi, I am pretty new to Shen but seem to be doing very well. I am not 16 and am planning ahead for runes, i have had some people tell me to go pure dodge in yellow, would this make a difference? I have been reading other guides and most of them are all suggesting a different rune for every guide. So i am still unsure on what would be best to pick. Any suggestions/help? Thanks and great guide by the way.

Pwnacus Maximus

07-11-2010

yes, Pure dodge in yellows is WAY better than energy regen, tbh.

EDIT: also this guide is bad because it suggests warmogs. Warmogs is one of the worst items in the game and shen will never max it out, also hp stacking is also bad because mandreds rips right through you and your 4k hp.

here's a better item build:
dorans + hp pot
boots
leviathan
aegis

then items to suit the opposition

EDIT:
also this guide was written by a lv 25 which invalidates any credibility he ever had.

Onyxius

07-11-2010

so right now i have red - fortitude, yellow - evation, blue - celerity

revalted

07-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnacus Maximus View Post
yes, Pure dodge in yellows is WAY better than energy regen, tbh.

EDIT: also this guide is bad because it suggests warmogs. Warmogs is one of the worst items in the game and shen will never max it out, also hp stacking is also bad because mandreds rips right through you and your 4k hp.

here's a better item build:
dorans + hp pot
boots
leviathan
aegis

then items to suit the opposition

EDIT:
also this guide was written by a lv 25 which invalidates any credibility he ever had.
all im gonna say right now is granted im only lvl 20 right now so yes u can invalidate anything i have to say, but i run

Crystal
boots
heart of gold
Merc treds
Warmongs
Frozen Hammer
Atma's Impaler
Omen
and finish with Bloodrazor, Thornmail, or whatever is situational

i run rune wise
Atk Spd-red
Dodge, Energy - yellow
CDR, MR/lvl - Blue
HP- quint

i run this way for two reasons, Shen is Tank yes so by end game i normally have about 200 armor 4.5k hp and 225-250 dmg so in team fights i can run in taunt kill a squishy and turn around and taunt again in 10 seconds or chase

most games i am 10+ kills 5 or less deaths and 20+ assists

i do
Dash
Vorpal
Vorbal
dash
shield
Ult
max out dash and vorbal then shield and obviously SU whenever its avail

and by running this i have a 3:1 win/lose ratio with shen since well it takes either 2-3 complete burst to kill me or a whole team to chase me across the entire map lol kinda funny actually allows my team to push another lane while they are all chasing me

my 2 cents and i would like to thank the author of this guide since he helped me get a general idea on how to run shen since my first couple games i ran him full dps and just was failing utterly but with this i am owning.

but as a final note yes i am lvl 20, things change so if anything changes from now to 30 which is just might ill will adjust my build, but this is the Tank assassin guide, not the OMG tanky tank shen guide

Onyxius

07-11-2010

@Ghostops
What energy is yellow i went back and forth through the 7 pages and see no seal with energy.

revalted

07-12-2010

@ onyxius Greater Seal of Ludicity i have 5 of them rest are dodge