Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide]Shen: Tank Assasin

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Magnamarak

06-23-2010

Quote:
Notmiefault:
Items

Shen is pretty bad at farming, so that gold bonus will help out a lot and you can't go wrong with health and armor.

Next, if you did not get leviathan, or you aren't getting stacks quickly enough, get Warmogs Armor.

bad farming + Warmogs Armor = FAIL.

this is why warmogs is no longer on the list of recommended items.

reefman

06-28-2010

great guide. i am new to the game and decided on Shen and your tips have helped alot!

my question is i too find that if i am in a tough game that Warmogs Armor is tough to get. It's great once you get it, but sometimes it can be very late in the game it seems. What are some other suggestions to pickup if the gold flow is a bit low in a game?

Thanks again!

Notmiefault

06-30-2010

If you don't want to go for warmogs, you need to use another item that gives a lot of health. Frozen Mallet is a good choice, but really anything that gives upward of 600 health would work. I recommend warmogs because, even though it is so expensive, each component is helpful on its own, so you don't have to have it completed to get benefit from it. In the end this is just a guide though, so if you find a different strategy that works for you, go right ahead and use it.

SharpyShuffle

06-30-2010

Quote:
Notmiefault:
If you don't want to go for warmogs, you need to use another item that gives a lot of health. Frozen Mallet is a good choice, but really anything that gives upward of 600 health would work. I recommend warmogs because, even though it is so expensive, each component is helpful on its own, so you don't have to have it completed to get benefit from it. In the end this is just a guide though, so if you find a different strategy that works for you, go right ahead and use it.

Each component of most items is helpful. And then the components build into a good item, like an aegis or omen or something, instead of a heap of **** like warmogs!

e: wow ,so this is a shen build that doesn't max shadow dash till level 14. Awesome.

Seriously though, shen is so incredibly straightforward, it's always weird to see people who really don't get him at all.

Notmiefault

07-01-2010

All I can tell you is that I am currently 48 and 33 with Shen, and that I have won 7 of the last 8 games I played (all twisted treeline). Regardless of your opinions, I promise that my build and strategy work.

SharpyShuffle

07-01-2010

Quote:
Notmiefault:
All I can tell you is that I am currently 48 and 33 with Shen, and that I have won 7 of the last 8 games I played (all twisted treeline). Regardless of your opinions, I promise that my build and strategy work.

oh ok, I didn't realise that the fact that you're on a lucky streak magically makes feint a good ability, and makes dps/shielding shen better than a shen who actually aims to tank.

Notmiefault

07-02-2010

Calm down, I'm not trying to start a fight. I agree that feint was nerfed to near-uselessness, but that doesn't change the fact that if you are fleeing with 200 health and zilean has a clockwork bomb on you, or karthus is using his ultimate, or ashe's arrow is two inches from your head, or any number of other possible scenarios, 50 or 100 damage shaved off could save your life.

As far as shadow dash goes, the skill is so good at level 1 or 2, there is no real need to max it quickly. Usually even one second of taunt is enough to accomplish what you want. Yes, there are scenarios in which that won't be enough, or the slight energy cost reduction will save you, but more often the extra damage/healing from vorpal blade will be of more use.

Notmiefault

07-06-2010

Updated to include the fact that they just added ENERGY RUNES! HELLZ YEAH!

magillaguerrilla

07-06-2010

This is not a bad guide, I started playing Shen a similar way, but have modified my approach since then. I have a few comments for you:

For starters, in your Shadow Dash Section, you say this:

Quote:
Escape: Shadow Dash can essentially be used like a flash that can't get past barriers
This is actually not true, Shadow Dash CAN pass through barriers, if they are sufficiently small. On Summoners rift, the lines of trees that separate the lanes can be passed through using Shadow Dash. You just have to be really careful to get close enough to the trees before doing it so that you can make it all the way through, otherwise you'll just bump into the trees and not pass through.

Secondly, others have commented on the Warmog's build, and I also have a few comments on this. Warmog's is a common recommendation for Tank builds (shen and otherwise). But I believe there should be a caveat to this. If you intend to build a warmogs and use it effectively, one must adjust his play style to accomodate it. As has been stated, Shen is not a spectacular farmer, so a Shen with a Warmogs must pay special attention to early game farming in order to A. afford the Warmog's in a reasonable amount of time, and B. kill enough minions to make it worthwhile. Depending on your adversary, this can be fairly easy, or incredibly difficult. Also, special attention on early game farming will come at the expense of early game harassment (my favored approach).

I play a lot of Shen, and killing more than 100 or so minions in a whole game is rather rare. Often it is far less. Therefore affording the warmog's in the first place is a feat that will require special attention. A related problem is that by the time you can afford the warmog's, the laning phase is coming to an end and your team will start to need you to assist them in teamfights more often, which distracts from killing minions.

All in all I'd say this is a respectable guide for a player who is new to Shen. I began with a guide similar to this and modified it here and there according to my style. My masteries and runes are very similar to yours. The main difference I would say is my item build, where I do away with warmog's (I can never get it up and running in time).

The final comment I'd make is that unless I'm laning against Zilean, I won't level up feint until last. I just don't find it useful most of the time. I also level up Vorpal Blade first as it is a FANTASTIC tool for harrassing the enemy at level 1 and keeping them away from the minions so that your team gets all the last hits. At subsequent levels I alternate between levelling Vorpal and Shadow dash (and ult when available). I save feint for last when there's nothing else.

Thanks for the effort, cheers!

Vaynard

07-06-2010

For another use of shadow dash it can be used to initiate a gank, dash in targeting mainly the higher dps and allow your team to nuke them into the ground while they cant get anything off. Though not the best initiator in the game its still valid IMO