Ranked Strategies Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

hellcat5

01-12-2011

Hello,

I started writing a guide for ranked games. I saw on the website we have guides for beginner, intermediate, and advanced, but advanced didn't go very far. I've read about others who've written a bit about getting out of ELO hell. I want to bring us all together to write a complete guide that works. I'm going to attach a file here in word. I'm not sure what this system will do with it. I've not finished it. I want feedback. You will need a microsoft word reader to view this file.

I've included the text from that document - to see the diagrams, you'll have to download and open the file. If you have questions, comments, disagreements, additions, intelligent arguements, I welcome the feedback.

text -

League of Legends
Ranked Strategies

Many people get to level 30 in League of Legends. However, they continue to use beginner, intermediate, and advanced tactics without building better stronger tactics. Those tactics we must master, using habitually. However, those are only BASIC tactics. Here I’ll get into a deeper, more complex mastery of League of Legends teamplay. I’ll cover common mistakes and common misconceptions many develop from the beginning of the game.

beginner tactics -
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/learn/...ctics/beginner

intermediate tactics -
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/learn/...s/intermediate

advanced tactics -
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/learn/...ctics/advanced

Starting Strategies

At the start, many people try to gank, setting up at the top of the grass in any of the lanes as shown below in red -

However, this is a mistake made by those who get into the habit of thinking getting “first blood” wins the game. Since this is an unsafe beginning tactic, you could after all get counterganked because everyone knows about this very basic gank, I suggest you play it safe, avoiding aggressive starting tactics like such until you reach at least level 6 – after getting your ultimate for an easy finish. The green dots indicate the safest starting point in game, behind the turrets, at a distance where the enemy will probably get hit if they try to creep forward to see who they might be fighting. If they do get hit, you have a slight beginning advantage.

While laning after minion spawn, most teams go with two players on each outer turret while one player takes middle. This is a very tought decision because whoever plays the middle will be more powerful then the other laning champs. So, choose carefully who goes mid – a tanking player to be more resilient while the DPS players take out the targeted tank, or a dps who will afterwards roam to rack up kills and gold to support the team that way. A mid player should choose a champ that has a ranged attack, if only one, so as to strike the opposing champion once in a while from a distance, unexpectedly.

Focus on leveling at the beginning of the game, not kills. Kills do NOT show who will win the game. Kills shows the other teams team battle power. So, if your team has 20 kills, and they have 31, don’t directly engage their team because they will ace you, even if only two of their members left. That leaves them with 2 more kills then you, increasing the power of their team that much more.

People will get the starting items they like most. I STRONGLY suggest boots so you can move a little faster at the beginning of the game. I expect you know to pick a decent rune page for your champ, and to setup your masteries for such champ also during the selection phase. You can click on the masteries icons to open up masteries to change them. Know what masteries go well with the champs you play, and know what rune pages compliment the champ and masteries too. Stacking benefits from runes and masteries can bring an advantage starting, such as a 30% crit rate from masteries and runes. I’ll cover each section of laning next.

Tactics at Mid

Ok, so you’re mid. Focus on getting in last hits on minions to get gold, not trying to kill the opposing champion. If you can get a few good hits in on the enemy champ while you’re at it, go for it, but don’t be stupid. You get the same amount of EXP at your turret as you do theirs. I prefer hanging back towards my turret so I have its protection, yet I keep the minions away from damaging it the best I can. Keep in mind the turret isn’t a smart protector. It will hit minions unless the enemy champ attacks you within its range.

After gaining a few levels, maybe after you’ve pushed back your enemy to his turret, grab a sight ward for 90G to pop at either side. If you want to be safe, grab two to pop up in each side bush at mid so you can see if someone plans to gank you. You want to place these wards when the other team can’t see you do it, or they will know what’s going on. It is very important to place a ward when the other team cannot see you do so, of you defeat the purpose. Some very good enemy teams can use your wards against you, setting up ganks by having one person cross into view of your ward then say 4 of you go after that person thinking it’s only one, but it’s actually 4 of the most powerful players on the opposing team, who then in turn wipe the 4 of you out. See, the other one you saw up north in the other ward was an intentional distraction so you’d think they were spread out. But, we can see who the fool really was because now they are 37, and you only 23. Remember before I said they were 20 to 31, then you got into that power struggle team battle, and lost to an ace with 2 of them still standing.

Don’t go dashing into the enemy minion line before level 6. The minions and the champ will kill you before you can do enough damage to the champ. Even if you get lucky and kill the champ, the minions will probably take you out, and you’ll be gold to the opposing champ who hit you too. Don’t do it. It’s not worth it for a few hundred more gold to get first blood, nor just a kill. Just not worth it.

If you are level 6, used exhaust, ignite and managed to kill your middle lane opponent, then go backwards a bit out of the sight range and head to a side lane that needs to most help to get more kills. Once middle gets to level 8 in ranked, the side team members are usually level 6. If you kill your mid opponent, use your newly acquired ultimate to go to the sides and kill enemy champions with your mates before they get their ultimate skills. Thus, more empowering your team. If you get the kills and your team mates don’t, don’t worry.

Players who get angry about being “underpowered” or who get angry at other for KSing don’t understand the value of having a higher team battle power. Sometimes these kind of players will start to “feed.” I mean intentionally going out to get killed because they are mad they didn’t get the kill for Garen. To win at League of Legends, YOU MUST GET RID OF YOUR SINGLE PLAYER MENTALITY – start thinking about TEAM value instead. If you are an underpowered Kennen, use your ability to quickly stun whole teams as an advantage point for your team to ace the other team. Sure, you might not get a kill, and you might die in the process, but by doing so you give your team mates an ace, and you were the only one who died. So, you bring your team back up some now to 27 to 38, thereby closing the power gap because your team managed to do enough damage to them while stunned to ace them. Of course, that you managed to get Rylia’s Rod helped because they were all slowed from your ultimate attack.

Now, if you manage to kill your middle opponent after reaching level 6, you better have a good sense of the map. They could have come line up on the sides to kill you. Having those wards in place will help against that. Also, know how fed your enemies are. If your top team members have died each twice, don’t try to go kill the two enemy players at top who have more power then you combined unless you know your damage output will bring them down faster then they combined can damage you. Yes, take the time to really CALCULATE your damage, using a calculator. Sure, you don’t know if they took runes and masteries against damage, but you can calculate your output. I took out Vlad with more HP then me and more items because I knew my damage, and knew my items. I was able to generate more damage than he and regenerate enough HP to win a 1v1 against him. Leave presumption to the noobs – calculate and KNOW. If you don’t want to calculate, you don’t want to win. If you don’t want to win, why are you playing? Presumption isn’t good enough. I’m sure you’ve had times when you’ve said, “WHAT!?!?! HE SHOULD HAVE DIED!!!” You didn’t calculate.

Tactics at Top and Bottom

Starting out at either bottom or top, you go against two enemy champs. In the advanced tactics discussed on leagueoflegends.com it discusses laning, or starving a champ. This happens by enemy champs keeping you far enough away from your minions you cannot get xp or last hit. Don’t go aggressive, unless you know your combined damage will get the kill. If you both have ignite for instance, and both have exhaust, you can probably crowd control the two enemy champs at top to kill one, or both. But be SMART about it. If your lane partner has any doubt to his output damage, don’t try it. Play it safe. Remember, FOCUS ON LEVELING at first, until you get your ultimate. Sometimes that means letting them push you back towards your turret. If you and your lane mate go for a kill, be sure to have some element of crowd control, a disabler, against the other enemy champ so he cannot attack while you take out the target. This ensures you both get away, or in the best situation, you two manage to kill both. Don’t do a trade-off – that gets you nowhere. 1/1 is not good, even if you get first blood, despite what you might think. It shows them you over extend to get kills, and they will use that to their advantage later in the game. Focus on leveling, and you’ll be ready for when your middle teammate comes to help you push your side after killing the mid.

Tactics for All

If your lane manages to kill your enemies, go to another lane and assist there. This is where having teleport comes in great to get around the map fast from top to bottom. If your mid player put up the wards on the side bushes, he’s given the best possible gank scenario if everyone on the team took teleport. If you are top or bottom, grab a ward to put up, again so your team members can teleport to it for an awesome gank.

In the above, the green represent the ward placement for starting teleport gank scenarios. The blue represents your team, the purple theirs. Champs for this situation would best have exhaust and teleport so that both the enemy champs your team can exhaust at the same time, thus making it open season on those two. If everyone has exhaust, if it looks like one of the enemy champs might get away, another teammate can exhaust him before he gets away, or use a champion crowd control skill, like Sion’s stun, or Nasus’ slow. Ideally, your team won’t double stack the exhaust thereby wasting it. So, I suggest you have the porting players exhaust first, then have the defending teammates exhaust second if needed. Remember to focus ONE ENEMY PLAYER at a time for most effectiveness.

Since I’m talking about teleport use, let’s talk about solutions for when the enemy is off the radar. If each champion carries a ward at this point, then you can all spread out, to push the lanes. Plant a ward in a location near you for your fellows to teleport to in case of emergency. Best spots are in the bushes, so your team can come in unannounced while you run away as fast as you can. Once The enemy sees your teammates, they will do one of two things – run or try to engage in team battles if enough of them are around. If they run, pop your exhaust on the closest one and your teammates will get a fast kill.

Mid Game Strategies

Your teammates are 27 to 38. You don’t see any of their team members on the map. You want to push, but you don’t want to get ganked. You know you can’t go to that bottom turret alone to defend it because they can turret dive you now without any problem – that turret is, after all, only as powerful as a level 18 champ. Sure, the ward tactic can help in that situation. But what if your team mates don’t agree to all get teleport? What can you do then to push and defend with minimal danger?

Choosing Summoner Skills

It is a very basic mistake for teams to choose different Summoner skills. Your team should agree on one main skill – Fortify, Teleport, Clairvoyance, for example. If you pick fortify as a team Summoner skill, be sure to have your tanking members take Reinforce as a defense mastery, which requires 16 points in defense mastery to access it. If they play a tank it would be a good idea if they used defense masteries. If you pick Teleport, take Spatial Accuracy. A Summoner can take that skill with 1 point right away under Utilities Masteries. If you take Clairvoyance, only a Summoner with 16 points in utility will have access to Mystical Vision, something maybe a Mage might have for cooldown reduction and regeneration. In taking Summoner skills, know where the complimenting Mastery lies.
There are four Offense Summoner skill Masteries – Cripple for Exhaust, Plentiful Bounty for Smite, Burning Embers for Ignite, Improved Rally for Rally. There are four Defense Summoner skill Masteries - Mender’s Faith for heal, Preservation for Revive, Willpower for Cleanse, and Reinforce for Fortify. There are Utility Summoner skill Masteries – Spatial Accuracy for Teleport, Haste for Ghost, Insight for Clarity, Blink of an Eye for Flash, and Mystical Vision for Clairvoyance. Some of these you can pick immediately, others only if you specialize in that particular branch of Masteries.

A team with Clairvoyance almost NEVER needs wards to watch for a gank. A team with Clairvoyance and Wiggler’s Lantern surely won’t. A team with Teleport and Wiggler’s lanterns will similarly benefit in not having to buy wards over and over. If you each take Fortify, the enemy team will have a hard time getting those turrets down if you are good at calling for Fortify from your members.

Using team Summoner skills takes practice. Don’t start a game fresh after reading this with your team thinking you’ll win using a team Summoner skill you haven’t practice using. Make a Custom Game for your members to go into together and blast bots to pieces a few times to get things down.

Team Battles

When getting into team battles around mid game, be sure to designate targets so each member attacks one enemy champion at a time to eliminate DPS. Once you widdle down DPS, the tank goes easily. You should watch out for Amumu, Galio, and Shen, however, because they have AOE taunts which refocuses damage to them. If your team has a Tank Shen, be sure to target who he uses Vorpal Blade on because any damage that target takes heals you. That increases your survival rate much, and annoys the enemy team. He’s one of the top banned tanks in ranked games because he can surely turn the tide in a 1v1 chase. But, again, if your team decides to use Shen as a tank, be sure to practice targeting his vorpal blade use for maximum carnage.

Some teams use Ventrilo, Skype, or TeamSpeak to communicate without typing. Other teams simply use the ping feature to designate a target. All the ranked games I’ve won without voice communication. If you use VOIP (Voice Over IP) be sure to make a team language that you all practice in a custom game. Practice anything new first before going at the real thing, either normal or ranked. Players want to win, especially when there are statistics involved. Having more than one person calling targets gets confusing, and ends with a mess, and a loss. Decide ahead of time who will be your caller and tactician / team leader. Those positions can be filled by the same person or separate ones. One calls targets in the heat of battle, while the other guides overall strategy.

At mid game, we’re at 27/38. The opposing team has more power. They only way we might make up for that power loss is by defending turrets if the team roams as a group. There are many problems with this scenario, which you’ve encountered by now. You want to push, but if one of your team members leaves, your team has an even lower power. If mid has swarms of their minions along with them, and you have a whole row of turrets still at bottom, this can quickly turn into tower destruction and loss for you. Somehow you’ve got to defend your turrets and gain power. But how?

If your team was smart, they might have warded the front lawn’s bushes. If not, you are a blind man trying to whack moles. Someone has to aggress against their towers to draw them away. Many try to Backdoor to draw the enemy from your front yard. If you have a few wards left out there towards their base, you might have your fastest dps, Master Yi and Jax are great for this, teleport out to plow through enemy minions and get to the enemy turrets. If Master Yi is built up enough, he might be able to take down the enemy turret without minion support. If you don’t have and wards to port to, I wish you luck in ninja-ing their turrets. You’ve got to do SOMETHING to get them away from your base, or you WILL loose. If they’ve taken enough damage while approaching your base, you might ace their team with targeted team Battle. I’ve seen teams that have aced the enemy then turned around to destroy the nexus winning the game while the team was aced.

We all know about Baron ganks – lett’s go kill them while they are working on Baron! This doesn’t always work. Sometimes it’s better to plow their turrets on the opposite side of the map while they beat away at Baron. This tactic might lure them away from finishing Baron, although unlikely because most players believe Baron will win the game for them. It will also bring down one or more of their turrets, but you must ALL go together. If you can ward behind you while going to the bottom row, great because then you’ll know when they start coming toward you, and your team can get out. If you’ve done your job before now, you should be able to push all the way to the bottom inhibitor, if not break it. Now they’ve super minions to deal with.

If your team hasn’t warded, you certainly should use this technique to ensure team survival. Take a look at the map below –

The blue represents your team placement, ideally within brush, or beating away at the enemy team jungle mobs while your laners take on the minions. If your right flank run into fewer then two enemy champions, he should run towards the middle teammate. RUN TOWARDS HELP. IF HELP IS CLOSE ENOUGH, and in enough number, turn to fight the enemy champs chasing you after passing your teammates. Your damage might bring kills if the numbers are right, you have enough health if melee, or if you are ranged even with low health. But beware – they enemy team will close in on you, so kill fast! Focus on one enemy team champion at a time. This scenario works for either side of the map, offensively or defensively. This works great with team Summoner skill Clairvoyance.

If you want to see the full color, word document version of this will a ton more content check out -
http://vera.comze.com/lolranked.docx

PumpkinKing

01-02-2012

What about jungler?

Strangelove

01-04-2012

its kind of bad advice to tell players to give up baron for turrets unless you can push all the way into the nexus. just my opinion

FaerellG

01-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr0wne2 View Post
its kind of bad advice to tell players to give up baron for turrets unless you can push all the way into the nexus. just my opinion
Not necessarily true. Knocking down 2 towers and an inhib would be about equal IMO.
The gold from 2 towers is equal, and losing an inhib causes them to lose a ton of map control.

Baron buff, while strong, can be waited out, and a downed inhib will keep your opponents from moving out allowing your team to claim buffs and dragon if it's up for a further advantage.

WolfLegacyX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr0wne2 View Post
Agreed with Faerell.

Baron, dragon, or one player are all worth giving up for a turret, not to mention two or even an inhibitor.

Baron can be waited out, Dragon gives only a bit more gold than a turret, and players can respawn. Turrets, however, are gone when they're taken down.

The only thing I would state is that when you're pushing make sure you know when your enemies are done Baron, and make it clear that everyone in your team should get out and not engage.

On a side note: I LOLed at the guide. Not sure if the author even plays ranked. It's also outdated.

FaerellG

01-04-2012

Ugh fail...I didn't realize it was a necro. A clever necro that waited 1 year so the date didn't stand out. But still...god****ed necro.

hellcat5

01-28-2012

End Game

Well, youíve not won the game yet, but you have a full build and level 18. You are at endgame. Reaching this point ahead of other players, especially the enemy team, could be good, but not if they have anyone else close to your status. With a full build, you can do the maximum damage possible with your champ, or tank as much as possible etc. However, if the enemy team has people like you, you could be in trouble. You are at the end of the road, and so are they. Bad stuff happens if they picked champs with a better growth rate then your teammates at end game. If they chose a better team composition with better growth rates, you might lose the game when you get to endgame. We might think of an endgame Tryndamere, or endgame Rammus, etc.

So, if youíve got the lower growth rates, you want to win fast, not hold out to endgame. Really, itís best to play well, and win fast every game. Playing well means not dying a lot to their carries (feeding is bad bad bad and many people will start harassing you noob.) That means know who you play against, what runes that champ could start with to make your life hell. A Gangplank with critical runes is far less scary then a Gangplank with twenty-five armor penetration because you WILL get 25 more points of damage to you each shot, and it that DOES happen to crit Ö you get the idea. So, play safe, win fast and avoid end game if you can, unless you need to get there to win.

Team Composition
---------------------------
Above, over a year ago, I wrote about some things players should know about the game. Many times I run into players that don't know these basic concepts, and from lack of knowing, they feed the other team, bringing about a less then enjoyable experience. I noticed I didn't write anything about team positions or jungling. Call that an oversight or my assumption that people would know this stuff, but from my experience with the game, I have over one thousand wins at this point, I see many when asked don't know how to play the different positions, or what to buy. Im' not going to cover specific champions, but I will cover concepts. Sure, the above I wrote over a year ago, but the concepts still stand solid. These concepts are outside an "outdated" perception because they still apply, and will continue to apply to future versions of LOL. They would have a totally change HOW LOL works to make these points invalid. We wouldn't have LOL anymore at that point. So, since League of Legends will go on as long as it makes money, I'm going to talk about positions.

Carry Champions

Carrying your team doesn't mean you are playing a carry champion. Many times tanks carry their teams due to the amount of damage the tank can absorb while the AD ranged and AP carries beat on the other champions. I'll get into more detail about the carry types below, but from hearing so many people talk about carrying, or carry champions, I want to have a clear definition of what that means really.

Ranged AD Carry

Our ranged AD carry works mainly from basic attack damage, while having a combination of crowd control skills ( slow, stun ), movement, attack speed, and damage buffs. And, occasionally, magic or armor buffs. How can we tell a carry from another roll? All the skills the champion has go towards that champion getting a kill. The skills do not effect other champions, you cannot cast the skills on another champion. Think of graves - he's got a dash to give him a nice skillshot dodge and attack speed increase, a nice damaging aoe slow, a mega powered ulti shot, and another shotgun effect. None of these skills effect his teammates, although he could use his aoe slow / blind to possibly save an ally. But, that doesn't make him a support champion. Typically when playing the Ranged AD carry, you want to go bottom or top with either the Tank or Support. Focus getting creep score for money (CS) while the tank or support build gold per 10 seconds items (gp10). If you play with a tank or support player who doesnít build this way, expect them to try to last hit what should be YOUR minions, and to lack knowledge of the roles in general. Direct them to this guide so we can all have better gaming experiences.

AP Carry

The AP carry relies heavily on his skills to do the damage, which marks the big difference between a melee or ranged AD carry. The AP carry should go mid. If your teammates question where the champ should go, you play with people who know very little about a championís needs to be successful. AP CARRY SHOULD ALWAYS GO MID. Unless youíre playing Sivir, the anti mage. Then itís up in the air, but thatís about the only time Iíd suggest an AD ranged carry mid. Even then, itís a real gamble if you have an AP carry on your team. Scratch that, always put your AP carry mid. Nukes only matter if you blow up the town. They do nothing as firecrackers. AP carry should be able to last hit minions at mid for a high if not the highest creep score in game. If top and the bottom AD ranged do their job and you have a jungler, they could rival your creep score. Also, playing mid gives the MOST experience besides solo top.

Melee Carry

Some might think, "hey melee isn't a carry." if you watch guardsman bob play Udyr, you'll quickly learn you're wrong. Many melee champions fit into the definition of a carry, with all their skills going into getting a kill. It's not the items that defines a champion as a tank, support etc, it's the skills. We can build a melee as a tanky dps. But, the champion still has skills to get that kill, not to assist others in getting them. Usually as a Melee, youíll do one of two things Ė Jungle or Solo Top. If your team, when playing solo que, doesnít have a Jungler, and they donít seem to understand advanced team composition, then you will have to do your best to run around the entire map killing everyone on the enemy team, and feeding your teammates. Iím going to talk about Jungling and Solo Top here under Melee.

Jungling

Typically a nice sturdy melee champ will jungle or do solo top. If you have something else in solo top, you have either a really crappy team composition, or you have a rare case team composition. Iíve seen Vladimir solo top before, Iíve seen Graves solo top also. Iíve seen Graves kill BOTH top champions when the other team doesnít have a Jungler. Iíve seen a solo top Ashe do the same thing. Itís a HUGE if case scenario because the ranged AD carry must REALLY know his skills to pull something off like that. If successful, itís a HUGE advantage to your team from the carry receiving the extra gold, althrough EXTREMELY risky.
SO, youíve got a nice wukong, Tryndamere, Garen, whatever solo top, and a Warwick, Xin Zhao, Shyvana, blah blah blah as Jungle. THE JUNGLER HAS THE RESPONSIBILITY TO LEVEL FAST AND GANK. Yes, youíd better KNOW the priorities of the position. If a lane has issues facing the opposing champions, say youíve got a Taric stunning for and healing a Caitlyn bottom, and Cait blows the snot out of your Vayne from her range, youíd better watch your bottom lane while jungling for a nice gank time. Donít be afraid to gank at level 2 or 3. You are THE champ to turn the game tide, not HIDE in the jungle while your teammates need your assistance. If your solo top gets annihilated itís on YOU Jungler. Get your ass out of the woods and go gank someone. Go help kill or kill them yourself!
Some people complain about the Junglers ďKSingĒ their kills. Ignore, mute, whatever that person. That person has issues with knowing how this game works. Not saying one person should hog kills, unless they can and are a carry, but once the carry gets an appropriate advantage, that carry can feed the team towards a win. Thatís HOW a carry carries, not by killing everything, then leaving all the others so weak they canít do anything in a teamfight to stop those enemies from shutting you down later. Sure, be the 20/0/14 Katarina, but help them get kills. Donít be the 34/0/0 Katarina. You will die because your teammates canít live through a teamfight to help you.

Solo Top

The solo top champion should be able to handle two opposing champions if the other team doesnít have a jungle, and if the enemy team does have a jungle, should be able to handle a gank. Handling a gank means living through one. Solo top should get a high creep score, but with other lanes also, should avoid pushing, but instead last hit. Solo top might benefit from letting the enemy push a bit if they do so. This opens the gank road. As I mentioned before, if you can solo top well against two enemy champions, great. You might even kill them both, which gives your team a great advantage. It is possible if you can widdle down the enemy champions then blast them to pieces. It takes coordination with the tower, and excellent knowledge of your skills. Practice practice practice.

Tank

You are the Beef of the team. You might even eat enemy teammates as Choí gath, but donít eat their beef. Avoid that because that will cost teamfights almost everytime. Donít grab Tanks as Blitzcrank either. Pulling Amumu into your team is very BAD. A tank has to be able to do two things Ė have a way to initiate teamfights like Amumuís Bandage Toss, Blitzcrankís Rocket Grab, Malphiteís Unstoppable Force to name a few, and have a TON of Beef. That means resistance and HP. Some tanks donít have a huge initiation skill as some Iíve mentioned, and Blitzcrank and Malphite arenít particularly Tank champions, but initiating champions, so you want to get flash for Tanks like Galio or Amumu if you canít land Bandage Toss. Some tanks are secondary tanks, some are primary tanks. Learn the difference to help your team win.

So, Iím the Tank and I wanna build so I can Tank. AS A TANK AVOID TAKING YOUR AD CARRYís CREEP SCORE Ė INSTEAD BUY GOLD PER 10 ITEMS. Yes, I said it. AVOID TAKING CREEPSCORE AS A TANK. In lane as a tank you want to get Heart of Gold, Philosopherís stone, etc., whatever is appropriate for your champion. Use gp10 runes, and masteries. If you can, take the mastery that gives you gold on assists. That will help you out a ton, but avoid at possible opportunities taking creep score from your carries. If your carries play well ,theyíll know they should get the last hits on those little creepies, making them go splat. Youíll see as long as you rush the gold per 10 items that youíll have about the same gold as if you had taken creepscore, and be able to build what you need at an appropriate speed.

AS A TANK GET GOLD PER 10 ITEMS, AVOID CREEPSCORE, INITIATE, AND BE THE SCARY BEEF. You wanna make them want to eat you, but you want to be able to handle a TON of bites. If you canít handle a ton of bites, resistance wonít be as useful. Pay attention to your enemy team. True damage goes right through resistance. In those cases you want to build HP. Combo items like Sunfire cape (HP and armor) work great, or a nice fat Warmog. Figure out how the damage works on the opposite team, build against it, but build in a threatening way so you can damage. Donít build all beef with no scary. That would be like Amumu who never did his skills, and had no sunfire, but had a ton of magic resistance, armor and HP. Just a walking dessert. If you see a tank like this, eat him last, always.

Initiator

As the initiator, itís your job to start a team fight. Thereís a few ways to do that. If youíre Blitzcrank, Rocket Grabbing the enemy AD ranged carry will start the fight as they try to make sure you donít die, or, you guys gain a huge advantage because they do nothing to save their teammate. You might flash into the enemy team with your ultimate as Nunu, Galio, etc. Choí Gath might walk up after a nicely placed Rupture to eat one of the enemy teamís carries. Nom nom nom. No more carry. A Tank has to be ďscary.Ē No, I donít always intend to rhyme, but I did this time. Yea, maybe I should write a song for the next League of Legends Music competition. Yes, I do compose music and write lyrics. Ask me if you doubt it, and Iíll give you my musicís url at myspace, or search for Known Mystery if you canít stand it and must know. Initiate that.
If you canít get it going somehow as an Initiator, You fail. Donít play that champion until you learn to start fights, although Iíd prefer it not be from trolling the other team with verbal abuse.

Support

So, you like to heal and help your teammates get out of sticky situations? Well, this could be you here. Like a Tank, youíve got to be scary too in teamfights. Usually thatís not hard because to support well, you will also damage well. Letís look at Sona for example. Building a nice huge AP sona supports well with heals and does nice damage. Again, like with the Tank position, you donít want to take your carryís creep score. You want to build gold per 10 items. If you donít know what gold per 10 means, how did you get this far reading this guide? Some excellent support players Iíve known use almost all the gold per 10 items, getting their items in a nice timely manner.
Your job as a support champ Ė help your teammates live longer, do damage, and run away faster. TO give you an idea of a support skill, and how to think of skills generally, Iíll talk about a few. We have in the support arena Sonaís Aria of Perseverance, obviously. Itís a healing skill, sure, which from that falls into support. However, that skill does more Ė it also gives armor and magic resistance. WOW. What about Nunuís Blood Boil? IT enhances attack and movement speed, thereby making it a support skill also. Gangplankís Raise Morale does something similar. These are support type skills because they enhance other teammates. Rarely do champs have skills only for one specific group of skills. A true carry only enhances himself for battle. A true tank only has initiating and resistance increasing skills. So, while we can classify a champion into one group based on in what group he has the most skills, few champs fall solely into one group. A well-practiced and thought out team will use champs where skills overlap each otherís play.

Trolls
--------
Why would a guide cover trolls? Well, letís be honest. We all hate trolls. I want to cover the different kinds of trolls here. I want you to know if you might be a troll, be honest with yourself. If you canít do anything but troll while playing LOL, or you have a habit of trolling, consider uninstalling the game until after getting counseling. Seriously. You might have a ton of pain in you from whatever, but that doesnít give you the right to inflict your pain on others. Donít do what others have done to you, do things that donít bring pain instead. We usually call that being nice. It always takes a troll to make a troll.

Verbal Trolls

So you got a kill, then you type in all chat, ďnoob.Ē You just verbally trolled your victim. Uninstall. Right now. Youíre on the road to cold blooded murder. Get help before itís too late. People who act like this will usually bash their teammates if they themselves die, because itís the lack of map awareness on the teammates parts thatís at fault, not on the verbal trolls. The verbal troll will say things like, ďwhy didnít you call MIA? You noob!Ē Thatís REALLY light to what some of us have seen while doing the Tribunal. Hey troll. Stop. Uninstall. Learn about responsibility. These guys find ways to make every mistake they make your fault. Youíre a crappy tank, donít know how to support, canít play, youíre a noob, whatever. It doesnít matter. They are the sunlight of the team, and if you donít see that youíre an idiot.
How do you stop being a verbal troll? Hold your tongue and learn responsibility. Learn to watch the map for yourself, learn to watch your allies mana and hp bars. Donít try to argue semantics or pragmatics with me. Mana, Energy, Rage, whatever. You are smart enough to argue semantics but canít figure out the meaning of something? I donít think so.

Construction Trolls

These guys do things like build the same item over and over, or buy totally useless items like 5 pairs of boots of speed. If you do this type of thing, you have passive aggressive issues. Get help. Verbal trolls sometimes create these kinds of trolls during their play. Verbal trolls usually want to win. Build Trolls donít care about winning. Both ruin games. So, if you see a player building boots with all wards and isnít Janna, report. Janna is the only champ that can get away with a build like this, with the right runes.

Tongue Trolls

So, youíre on a team with people who speak two languages. You know this because they talk to you in English, then start talking in another language you donít understand. While this isnít a terrible troll, this is a troll because you donít know whatís going on. You donít know what theyíre saying. If you have a verbal troll in you, heíll jump out and start complaining about it. If you have a build troll in you, well Ö So, if you know two languages and you play with people who know the same, please speak in the language of your server so all can have the best gaming experience possible. Nothing really psychologically wrong here, but a little lack of consideration for the main language of the server. If I went to play a game on a Japanese, Spanish, Brazilian, etc., server, I should learn the language.

Dumb Trolls

This troll plays the game like he canít read or type. He does whatever he wants, doesnít talk to anyone, usually going off alone, then getting ganked, or whatever. This troll does totally random things according to his own will. Heís NOT a team player, although he wants to win. He thinks no communication is the best thing for him. This guy acts like others arenít real. These trolls think other people donít have anything useful to say, and others are not like them at all because others want to hurt the troll. It could be because he got tired of the verbal trolls, so automatically mutes everyone each game. Iíve ran across those type of players. These trolls exist. Again, made by another troll. Hey, if you think Iím saying this troll is stupid, no. Look up dumb. The word comes from an etymological room meaning unable to speak.

Ignorant Trolls

This troll talks, and wants to win. However, like the noncom troll, he does whatever he pleases, and not particularly for the team. He doesnít verbally troll, but if you say something he doesnít like, he just ignores you, including tactics. He does whatever he wants. Period.

AFK Trolls

This player plays until he rages for whatever reason, then he goes afk for the rest of the game. If he comes back, he might play for a bit, die once, then leave again. With his rage, this troll usually spouts short obscenities before leaving, calling everyone something, or just saying something totally incomprehensible. Report him. Kill the trolls. Kill them all.

Feeding Trolls

When something doesnít go his way, this troll starts feeding. No, heís not feeding the baby. Heís dying on purpose to the enemy team. If heís a serious pain in the ass, he will feed all game. If heís not, heíll die a few times on purpose then turn into an AFK troll. No less severe really when it comes to the overall effect to the team.

Blubber Troll

This troll talks non-stop in game about everything possible. While this troll doesnít usually focus on negative stuff, he types so much it costs him to die, or others to die. Itís one thing to communicate, but itís another to want that much attention. Sometimes these trolls can be very aggressive and border line on verbal abuse, especially if they are on enemy teams. When they are like that, they are Blubbering Verbal Trolls. But, they could be nice with the enemy team just as well, chatting away like they would on Trillian, Windows Live or whatever chat program. We are playing a game people, not in a social meeting. Save it for after game please so everyone can enjoy the game as much as you enjoy typing or talking. Itís not like playing a live sport where you can talk and RUN at the same time, or talk and kick a ball, swing a bat etc. your fingers can only hit so many keys in a second. Letís please make those keys QWER and DF. Remember, itís D to DANCE!!

hellcat5

01-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfLegacyX View Post
Agreed with Faerell.

Baron, dragon, or one player are all worth giving up for a turret, not to mention two or even an inhibitor.

Baron can be waited out, Dragon gives only a bit more gold than a turret, and players can respawn. Turrets, however, are gone when they're taken down.

The only thing I would state is that when you're pushing make sure you know when your enemies are done Baron, and make it clear that everyone in your team should get out and not engage.

On a side note: I LOLed at the guide. Not sure if the author even plays ranked. It's also outdated.
Nice unranked comment there Wolf. I looked up your elo. It's as good as mine. Non existent. I play ranked games though, and I have over 1k wins. I love trolls. you should read about trolls.

EndlessAnguish

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-28-2012

No offense, but listening to this kind of advice is exactly what gets people stuck in elo hell.

Decent guide for beginner players leveling to level 30 though. Not enough to make it past 1300 ELO.

hellcat5

01-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAnguish View Post
No offense, but listening to this kind of advice is exactly what gets people stuck in elo hell.

Decent guide for beginner players leveling to level 30 though. Not enough to make it past 1300 ELO.
Well, it's rather nice you've put nothing useful on the thread. Can you post some specific critiques? Vague statements mean nothing. I looked up your elo, but I play with people who have a higher elo then you do. By all means, comment specifically, constructively with criticism, and I'll better the guide. Otherwise, do you see your post as a means to make yourself feel "above" other players?

I'm looking forward to some useful comments here from you.