[Guide] My Crit is Over 9000: Ashe

12345612 ... 15
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Twisted

09-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzminkey View Post
A power level of over 9000!?!?!?
HAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!!

Damn I am such a nerd

Veritas

The Council

09-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaqenITA View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with most of the guide, expecially on the usefulness of volley/frost-shot when compared to the farming skill.
However, the philospher's stone as a regen/farming item is still one of my faves.

What about runes?
I usually put att-speed/crit.damage+dodge/health regen+ab-power/mana regen
Like I said, the regen items aren't necessarily bad (and a stone does give you that much needed mana regen) but you have to consider if you can use the money FOR the gold/10 item for the item you're farming for.

I'm going to add in some information about runes, but I generally like to go +health. +Attack damage/speed is kinda negligible, and you already know my stance on regen. Ashe has fairly low hitpoints (410 I believe). Your runes/masteries should account for the weakness of the hero, not amplify the strengths.

Aviseras

09-08-2009

Auto-attacking depends entirely on your enemy. If they are auto attacking you need to be as well in most cases. If they are spell-spamming waves then you HAVE to auto attack or lose your tower quickly.

I'll try this build out later, a lot more survivability focused than what I usually go, but then again ashe does get focus fired a lot.

ODonnell

09-08-2009

your point on auto attacking is completely wrong. Auto attacking is excellent as long as you still land last hits. Doing damage pushes enemy creeps into towers, effectively denying their gold. Basically LoL has redefined denying as pushing creeps into towers that are hard to land a last hit off of.

Veritas

The Council

09-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODonnell View Post
your point on auto attacking is completely wrong. Auto attacking is excellent as long as you still land last hits. Doing damage pushes enemy creeps into towers, effectively denying their gold. Basically LoL has redefined denying as pushing creeps into towers that are hard to land a last hit off of.
No. The whole thing with autoattacking is that by NOT pushing your lane, you have an effective shield to protect you (your tower). Ashe is an extremely squishy hero with no escape who is extremely susceptible to nukes and harassment. And like I said, it's entirely situational. If you're in a dominant lane, there is no reason to not autoattack (still last hitting creeps though).

Shirokuma

The Council

09-09-2009

The guide's got some good points, though you're still going to have to try harder to convince me that giving up Plentiful Bounty early game is worth it. Personally, my build looks something more like this:

Build
1-4: Alternate between Volley and Plentiful Bounty. (Ex. Bounty at 1 and 3, Volley at 2 and 4, or Bounty at 1 and 4, Volley at 2 and 3, etc.)
5: Volley
6: Enchanted Crystal Arrow
7: Plentiful Bounty
8: Plentiful Bounty
9: Plentiful Bounty
10: Volley
11: Enchanted Crystal Arrow
12: Volley
13-15: Frost Shot
16: Enchanted Crystal Arrow
17-18: Frost Shot

The reason for this is pretty obvious; you're aiming for your level 3 Volley at level 5, while still reaching level 5 Plentiful Bounty by 9. Ashe's strength early game lies in her decent solo laning abilty; with Volley being able to hit a ridiculous amount of targets at once, you can easily use it to last hit a couple creeps as well as take a chunk of HP off of the enemy hero for a relatively low mana cost. Combine this with a full set of Clarity Glyphs, and you should keep your opponent hiding behind his ranged creeps rather consistently. This allows you to pick at his creeps without interference, and last hitting a full wave of creeps at level 9 will net you all the gold you need during the most fragile part of Ashe's game. Picking up a quick BF Sword will boost your harassing ability with Volley through the roof, as well as provide a nice extra chunk of damage for your auto attacks, giving you better last hitting potential.

On the other hand, let's say you pick up Frost Shot and Volley first. Without the ability to orbwalk her frost shot, it provides no better harassing utility than merely auto attacking, and if you're using it to chase people down to get kills at level 7, your opponents aren't the sharpest tools in the shed. 9/10 people in competitive games will pick Flash, and if they feel the need to, all they have to do is jump away from your auto attack to get out of range. Combine this with the fact that the middle lane has a relatively small distance between towers, and there's really only so much chasing that you can do before the tower starts railing your health. If you rush Phage, you end up with rather poor damage and a moderate ability to slow opponents; that is, until they use Flash, at which point you're not doing anything.

Your guide focuses a lot on giving Ashe some survivability, but at the cost of delaying her farming by a substantial amount. I agree with your item choices for the most part, but if a player is banking on those items early game to keep himself alive, he's going to turn team fights at the end of the mid game and start of the end game into 4v5s due to his lack of damage. Couple this with the fact that you suggest delaying Plentiful Bounty until the end game, and you're stuck with the issue of being outfarmed by the opposing team.

Kimmy Gibler

09-09-2009

I completely agree with Shirokuma. I tried the build last night and had some crazy success.

The only change I made to Shiro's build was 1 earlier rank of Frost Shot (level 7) as I was soloing in my lane and a couple levels above the 2 against me. It helped me finish them off, I don't regret it.

Banshee's Veil saved me many times, especially since I had a Teemo against me. I think Banshee's Veil and Frost Mallet are way more than enough for survivability items though. After I got both of those I got a Black Cleaver and Atma's, and I was doing just fine. I'm really not sure how I feel about the item build... it's a lot of survival. I guess I'm just used to doing more speed/crit.

Veritas

The Council

09-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirokuma View Post
The guide's got some good points, though you're still going to have to try harder to convince me that giving up Plentiful Bounty early game is worth it. Personally, my build looks something more like this:

Build
1-4: Alternate between Volley and Plentiful Bounty. (Ex. Bounty at 1 and 3, Volley at 2 and 4, or Bounty at 1 and 4, Volley at 2 and 3, etc.)
5: Volley
6: Enchanted Crystal Arrow
7: Plentiful Bounty
8: Plentiful Bounty
9: Plentiful Bounty
10: Volley
11: Enchanted Crystal Arrow
12: Volley
13-15: Frost Shot
16: Enchanted Crystal Arrow
17-18: Frost Shot

The reason for this is pretty obvious; you're aiming for your level 3 Volley at level 5, while still reaching level 5 Plentiful Bounty by 9. Ashe's strength early game lies in her decent solo laning abilty; with Volley being able to hit a ridiculous amount of targets at once, you can easily use it to last hit a couple creeps as well as take a chunk of HP off of the enemy hero for a relatively low mana cost. Combine this with a full set of Clarity Glyphs, and you should keep your opponent hiding behind his ranged creeps rather consistently. This allows you to pick at his creeps without interference, and last hitting a full wave of creeps at level 9 will net you all the gold you need during the most fragile part of Ashe's game. Picking up a quick BF Sword will boost your harassing ability with Volley through the roof, as well as provide a nice extra chunk of damage for your auto attacks, giving you better last hitting potential.

On the other hand, let's say you pick up Frost Shot and Volley first. Without the ability to orbwalk her frost shot, it provides no better harassing utility than merely auto attacking, and if you're using it to chase people down to get kills at level 7, your opponents aren't the sharpest tools in the shed. 9/10 people in competitive games will pick Flash, and if they feel the need to, all they have to do is jump away from your auto attack to get out of range. Combine this with the fact that the middle lane has a relatively small distance between towers, and there's really only so much chasing that you can do before the tower starts railing your health. If you rush Phage, you end up with rather poor damage and a moderate ability to slow opponents; that is, until they use Flash, at which point you're not doing anything.

Your guide focuses a lot on giving Ashe some survivability, but at the cost of delaying her farming by a substantial amount. I agree with your item choices for the most part, but if a player is banking on those items early game to keep himself alive, he's going to turn team fights at the end of the mid game and start of the end game into 4v5s due to his lack of damage. Couple this with the fact that you suggest delaying Plentiful Bounty until the end game, and you're stuck with the issue of being outfarmed by the opposing team.
1. Plentiful Bounty at level 2 gives +2 gold per every additional creep kill (I think). This is incredibly negligible.
2. If you had infinite mana and had no cooldown on Volley, I'd say sure, this strat would be great. However, when it comes to it, if you're constantly using Volley to last hit, you're going to run out of mana really fast. Even with a Maki Pendant, spamming it constantly means you're going to run out. And before you say it, yes, you WILL run out. Not to mention that volley is pretty easy to dodge, as long as they're aligned properly. And if you're in a lane against double stun (sion/cryo, taric/cry) or even heavy nuke (lich solo, lich/anyone, cryo/annie, etc) you're going to be able to fire off Volley maybe twice before you either die or are forced to heal (ESPECIALLY if you're autoattacking and aren't close to your tower).
3. Ashe has 2 stages to her game. At the beginning she helps with utility with her slow/stun. Without frost shot, your team won't have a permaslow on their heroes. Yes, absolutely, they will have flash. Guess what? You do too! There's no reason you can't flash to catch up and continually slow them so your team catches up. Even without a single +damage item, you do ENOUGH damage that you can easily kill non-tanks.
4. Phage isn't what you should be rushing, since Ashe already possesses a slow. A spell shield will help your survivability a lot more than any HP item.
5. Ashe doesn't really get focused because he puts out a lot of damage (although that becomes the case later in the game). He gets focused because he's a weak hero with no escape.

It may seem like your strat works now, but wait until a draft mode comes out and people can actually counterpick with good lanes.

Veritas

The Council

09-09-2009

Also, I just want to add that it may be okay to just take one point in Frost Shot early on. I haven't tested it out though, so it may not be slow enough to really work well. IF it's enough to keep up with enemy champions, then I could see going bounty after that:

1. FS
2. V
3. V
4. B
5. V
6. ECA
7. V
8. B
9. V
10. B
etc.

Even then though, bounty really isn't providing enough of a bonus to be worthwhile.

Lightstriker

Adjudicator

09-09-2009

I'd like to say that currently Philo stone probably seems like it would be a MUCH better buy then avarice blade, unless you're not taking pendant as your starting item, and even then it still might be true.

12345612 ... 15