Tanking Garen, drawing out the full Might of Demacia - "Fear not, I'm coming"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Carados

04-30-2010

Doesn't that rely, on you know, the other team not being bad and seeing you coming and walking in the other direction?

That's actually possibly the worst initiation I've even seen. You can't reliably initiate when the other team doesn't want to fight.

Myrnodyn

04-30-2010

You have some good points. I still WOULD have mentioned it as an aside, if you are strapped for cash, or as a good replacement for Randuin's Omen if the entire enemy team is magically inclined (Amumu/Soraka/Annie/Fiddle/Rammus)

You will not have Randuin's Omen's active, but you'll hurry your build along regardless of your success and might sell the heart of gold later for a profit. Of course, getting a spirit visage does not prevent you from getting a Force of Nature as well

Myrnodyn

04-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carados View Post
Doesn't that rely, on you know, the other team not being bad and seeing you coming and walking in the other direction?

That's actually possibly the worst initiation I've even seen. You can't reliably initiate when the other team doesn't want to fight.
Sometimes the choice they enemy team has to make is fight or lose a tower. With this build, you'll be tanking towers easily, as long as your team backs you up on the Teamfight.

A team that never fights is a team that loses. Your points are also exactly why there is so much speed in this build. It is VITAL for Garen.

But I'll let Shin explain further XD

Captain Shin

04-30-2010

Carados, Dude that's just AWESOME if they do that. Imagine, them just walking away from their Turrets... Or even better, them abandonning their lane at level 3 just because i keep spinning in every CD...
That's what I meant by "initiating". I'm talking tower diving an entire here, not trying to catch them one by one with their pants down in the forest [not that that's a bad strategy]. If you're talking 'other' kind of initiating i.e. initiating a gank, then you'll need to Jump out of grass and pray you get that silence in. Alternatively, you just enlist the help of a stunner/ranged CCer, which is usually what people do in these kind of circumstances.
Nonetheless, ESPECIALLY with swiftness and MS quints, you can be very obvious about your ganking - your Q and your spin will allow you to completely outspeed anyone. It doesn't really matter if they see you coming - unless they start running right away, [case in which well, they are abandonning gold/XP], which is pretty good, you'll probably catch them. Besides, like i'm fond of saying "They can run, but their turrets can't", so if you charge into a 2v2 lane, they'll probably, if they are REALLY smart, run back to turret and ping for help. That's probably only as far as they'll run, and that's when you push to turret, and then tower dive the squishiest with the initiating plan. If they run...
Well, hell it's happened to me once or twice - I chased 3 guys from one turret to the other alone, while my two teamates just stayed behind to break the turret. They were all on half health, i was sort of full, and the moment i "tried" to turret dive, they just ran, and ran, and ran. If they have turned and hit at any point, I'd have cleansed and couraged away.
There was another time, when I had Janna at half health, and Pantheon at full, with Janna hugging turret. I had two teamates (annie and cho, i think). I dove just as their Ezreal started TPing. Janna ran, and pantheon chased after me to "save" her. Ezreal came in, nuked thinking his mates would come help, got slaughtered, and the turret died. Janna and Panth did get, btw, but i was on 1/3 health when I started that, and the moment I saw the TP come in, I commited myself to the chase, knowing i'd probably die, but that the Turret and the Teamkill on the TPer was worth it.

watrill

04-30-2010

Great guide. I think you should post it on LeagueCraft. (It could use some formatting.)

Captain Shin

04-30-2010

One of the reason why i didn't post it on league craft was because I don't really like strict formatting. The other reason is that i don't really like league craft. The main reason, however, is because i can't be bothered -
"I've made the effort of writing the guide, so if people want to find out more about garen, they can make the effort of searching the lol forum", kind of things.

Carados

04-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Shin View Post
Carados, Dude that's just AWESOME if they do that. Imagine, them just walking away from their Turrets... Or even better, them abandonning their lane at level 3 just because i keep spinning in every CD...
I can't read your posts because they are terrible walls of text, but I shouldn't ****ing bother because you don't either.

Captain Shin

04-30-2010

Yeah, I remember someone making the same comment in the MFing Cho guide. Well if you bothered to read the "wall of text", you'll find that, I am not trying to mock you in any way when I say it. I Honestly think them running away is the best case scenario. Of course, getting a kill is better, but considering I haven't really put myself at risk, and my abilities cost nothing in the first place, getting them to run with a "blatant" signal that "IM GONNA GANK YOU!!! RUN!!!", is a really good way of "minion starving" them.
Being Minion Starved is not quite as bad as dying outright, but it's pretty much dying a slow death.

Just so you'll know, i'm not angry or anything - there a number of guides out there that i've only payed lip service to - a skim read, if that, mainly because i have my own idea about to play the champ, and am generally unwilling to consider any other build.
One of the reason why I wrote this guide was PRECISELY because there is NOTHING that vexxes me more than seeing a DPS Garen [considering there's a DPS garen evey odd game, that means i'm vexxed every odd game]

I entertain the misguided hope that this "wall of text" will encourage people to try tanking with garen, and hopefully make playing this game more bearable.

That being said, i was generally aware some people would just go "WTF HUGE, meh too much effort, forget it", so I tried to divide it into clear sections. For all those that can't be bothered reading the whole thing, check the bolded sub-sections for stuff and see if anything catches your eye. There's useful stuff to know there, like how Decisive Strike can be dodged - which is good to know if you have to counter Garen.

Taenshi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-30-2010

I think the general language was a bit too goofy with all of the nicknames etc for spells/builds but the general content was very good. I suggest you put a TLDR on the item builds you suggest though as it's relatively hard to reference at a glance what the item builds are for each archetype.

Captain Shin

04-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taenshi View Post
I think the general language was a bit too goofy with all of the nicknames etc for spells/builds but the general content was very good. I suggest you put a TLDR on the item builds you suggest though as it's relatively hard to reference at a glance what the item builds are for each archetype.
T_T. Goofy...

Ahum, anyway, I am still in the process of testing the various elements of this guide. At first, I stuck mainly with Warmog/Atma's, and occasionally i'd push for early finish with Leviathan. The sunfire build was largely a response to Failing to carry team to an early finish, or failing to finish Warmog/Atma's - By "failing" i don't really mean win or lose - some of these games i won, but mostly because my team mates were exceptionally good. At this stage, I'm experimenting extensively with Quicksilver and the second cleanse, and I still haven't quite gotten Youmu/and Randuin working the way I want.
In other words, I wrote this guide mostly to convince people to try tanking with Garen - I'm still fine tuning items and builds, and will eventually put up a flat out Guide once I am satisfied i have everything right. I already got some great feedback from Myrn on Visage - I.e. Getting Visage instead of Randuin if you are getting hammered by an AP heavy team.