Ryze, Glass Cannon or The Unstoppable Magic Tank?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

kearndog

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keivan View Post
I've been having moderate success playing Ryze, I've always rushed an Archangles in my build. I figured Mana for Overload, tons of regen, and the AP bonus from the big Mana pool is full of win. I've been saving the RoA until after my soulstealer and I build two of them, the second never has enough time to cap out. But ya, I'm pretty vulnerable early game and it takes a while for all those items to begin building potent stacks. I'll give your build a try tonight. Do you have a big problem with running out of mana with this?

I've made a macro of RWEQ on my G15. The buttons fire and mouse click .1 seconds apart (except I give more time for the ball to bounce a bit). Champs just explode I usually die instantly afterward though. When his buddy shows up
The idea here is that you aren't a sustained caster, so If you are low on mana you are probably getting low on health. I don't see running out of mana as too much of a problem because this build does use RoA, lich bane, and banshee's which all raise your mana giving you plenty of ability bursts before your team needs to fall back and you recall.

Katai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-06-2010

I'm still skeptical about the viability of Ryze with AP. This is mainly because Ryze's AP ratios are actually pretty terrible overall.

Overload = 0.45
Rune Prison = 0.2
Spell Flux = 0.38

I have a tendency to get Cooldown Reduction over AP on Ryze so that he can cast more often, rather than cast and run (because his spells won't be ready for another 6-7 seconds). Because of that, I have a tendency to learn towards defensive items to keep him running longer in team battles. Here's my usual build

Boots
Tears of the Goddess (For mana and damage for overload)
Catalyst (for health, mana, and damage for overload)
Glacial Shield (for armor, mana, and damage for overload.. see a pattern here?)
Upgrade to Banshee
Upgrade to Frozen Heart
Abyssal Sceptor (magic penetration and more magic resist)
Upgrade to Archangel's Staff (only because I have nothing else to buy)

I tried wedging a Guardian Angel in there at one point, but someone got angry at me and decided to afk at fountain.

kearndog

05-06-2010

I have not tested cooldown reduction too extensively, but I don't think it's a good idea to just be able to sit on the edge of a fight and cast since you would be making yourself a rather vulnerable target for a quick stun and beat-down.

kearndog

05-06-2010

I also did not center this build around AP, but I didn't neglect it. You need to raise the amount of health that you can melt away from an opponent to a sizeable amount, but with mejai's in hand you can start focusing on your survivability with this build for items 5 & 6.