Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Ryze, Glass Cannon or The Unstoppable Magic Tank?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

kearndog

04-30-2010

Ok, so Ryze is definitely my favorite champion, and I have played him for 100+ games. I'm shooting to put everything I know about him in this guide so hopefully it helps you succeed in owning lots of noobs.

First off, what kind of champion is Ryze?
Ryze is a burst caster who relies on the element of surprise in order to quickly gank enemy champions. I recommend focusing on upgrading his AP, health, and mana for best results.

Strengths
-Very strong champion killer and team fighter
-Rune Prison, his snare, lasts for 2.4 seconds at rank 5 making it awesome for setting up ganks
-One of the highest DPS champions in the game due to his high damage spells that can be unloaded in less than a second
-Desperate Power is really fun to use in team fights because it makes all of your spells do 65% AoE damage in a small radius around your target which makes for some nice multikills in team fights.
-Spell Flux hits multiple targets, and I would consider it a skill shot because placement is key to getting kills.
-Overload, Ryze's high damage, singletarget spell, gains damage equal to 10% of your total mana. I have seen overload hit for over 1,000 damage before, and it can be cast approximately every 6 seconds at rank 5.
-his passive, Arcane Mastery, reduces the cooldown of your spells by 1 second everytime you use an ability

Weaknesses
-Low base health making him one of the first targets in team fights.
-He's basically a one trick pony, you unload your arsenal of abilities and either kill the other champ or run.
-Once Ryze burns through all his abilities, he is basically useless because he has to wait atleast 6 seconds before he can use his abilities again (an excellent time to be attacking Ryze)
-Tanks, because of their high health it is almost impossible to defeat them in one encounter if they start at full health, and they will eventually beat you down if you aren't careful.
-pathetically bad at pushing, Ryze has to rely on base attack speed and damage in order to take down towers, and none of your gear will likely be improving this (except lich bane).

ITEMS
The gear that you choose to buy for Ryze is critical to your success at killing people, so I would advise spending time in practice games planning your items.

My Recommendation:
STEP 1. Start with a Ruby Crystal in order to decrease the likelihood of early ganks
STEP 2. Once you have amassed 850g either from an early kill or two or by killing minions, blue pill and buy Catalyst the Protector. It further increases your health as well as giving you 325 mana, 10% of which increases the damage that overload does translation: Overload does 32.5 more damage. Also, everytime you level it restores 300 health and 250 mana. This will allow you to stay in the lane for longer than your opposition as well as giving you a surprise advantage over your adversaries everytime you level.
STEP 3. Once you hit 1,100g, recall and buy your favorite pair of boots. I prefer Sorcerer's Shoes for the +20 Magic Penetration, but Boots of Mobility, Boots of Swiftness, or Mercury Treads are all reasonable choices as well. (or for 350g, Boots of Speed, if you had to recall because your health/mana got too low. Upgrade these to your favorite pair of boots next time you recall.).
STEP 4. Now you'll want to assemble Mejai's Soulstealer in order to reap the benefits of all the kills you'll be getting. Mejai's can give you up to 180 AP and 15% CD reduction with 20 stacks, so it can be a serious game changer if you are destroying the other team. Once you buy Mejai's Soulstealer, you should definitely consider buying an Elixir of Brilliance because for 300g it increases your AP by approximately 40 points and reduces CDs by 10%. Also, it lasts for 4 minutes and it perseveres through deaths, so you really can't go wrong by buying one of these.
STEP 5. Now you'll want to focus on building Rod of the Ages based off that Catalyst the Protector you bought earlier. This involves buying a Blasting Wand for 860g (+40 AP) and completing RoA costs 850g. RoA gives you a lot of health, mana, and AP(your primary attributes), so you really can't go wrong with it, and it gets better over time. So, by buying it midgame, you will gain an advantage in the endgame. All the while you should keep purchasing Elixir of Brilliance in order to maintain an advantage over the competition.
(STEP 6.) At this point, If I'm totally destroying the other team, I focus on building Zhonya's Ring. Upon completing this item the game should pretty much be over since your AP will be ridiculously high allowing you to gank people like mad.
STEP 6. If the other team is largely caster based, I usually build a Banshee's Veil at this point because it will greatly increase your survivability. (Banshee's Veil blocks the first magic ability used against you. For instance, Karthus' Requiem? BLOCKED, Ashe's Frost Arrow? BLOCKED, Ezrael's Trueshot Barrage? BLOCKED, etc,... you get the idea). It also adds to your health, mana, and magic resistance which will allow you to be a little more ballsy in your ganking. (as an added bonus, the 400 mana on Banshee's increases the damage of Overload by +40).
STEP 7+. At this point I just recommend buying a Blasting Wand and building whatever looks like fun to you or best counters the other team. Need to hit harder? Begin building a Zhonya's Ring. Enemies stacking magic resistance? Buy a Void Staff. Abyssal Scepter is always a good choice if you are undecided, and Lich Bane is always a fun choice because it lets you move faster and base attack harder which is useful for pushing.

SUMMARY: (My most common build)
1. Rod of the Ages
2. Sorcerer's Shoes
3. Mejai's Soulstealer
4. Banshee's Veil
---------------------->Most Games are over by this point.
5. Blasting Wand->STEP 7+
6. Zhonya's Ring OR Guardian Angel

HOW 2 PLAY:
HOW DO I GANK ENEMY CHAMPS? (SUPER IMPORTANT!!)
As Ryze, you don't want to go toe to toe with another champion, your killing power comes from being surprising, quick, and hitting like a truck then running away. So, the bushes are your new best friend, and you should be running up and down the river in 5s helping to gank other lanes that are either: weak (the champions have around half health) OR overextended (this could be that they are at your tower or farming too far forward).
STEP 1. You should sit in the bushes until you are in a position to jump between them and their escape.
STEP 2. Once you are in position, you should jump out and hit them with your snare, Rune Prison
STEP 3. run up to them(I know it sounds weird, but trust me)
STEP 4. Hit your ultimate, Desperate Power to raise your AP and discourage intervention due to the AoE, and drop a spell flux on them, you should be close enough that the flux orb bounces back and forth between you and them(yes it can bounce off Ryze, no it does not hurt you), dealing a ton of damage in the process.
STEP 5. Use your Overload spell to finish them off, and if you have to zap them with your base attack to finish.

WHO DO I GANK?
As Ryze you gank anyone with half health or below who is out of position. Also, if you are sufficiently fed, you are capable of killing most squishies by burning through all of your abilities. Don't bother trying to kill tanks unless you have support from your teammates. Pick on the squishy champions, make them hate you, it's funny.

WHEN DO YOU GANK?
Once you hit atleast lvl 7 you have access to desperate power (your ult), and you should probably have atleast Catalyst the Protector and Boots of Speed.

WHAT DO I DO IN TEAM FIGHTS?
You should stay behind your team and dash forward at an opportune moment in order to get a kill by dropping "R, W+select, E+select, Q+select" as fast as you can. In order to be an effective Ryze, you should master this casting rotation to the point that you can cast all your spells in less than a second.

SIDE NOTES:
-You may be struggling with low mana early game, but once you get Catalyst the Protector it's all good because you will have all the mana you need to complete a surprise attack.
-Archangel's Staff is a waste, Tear of the Goddess is a waste. Why? Because at its best Archangel's staff only grants you 140 bonus damage from mana to overload, and you really don't need mana regen. The conclusion: it's decent, but there are better items out there.
-Spending all your money on Zhonya's Ring early is a waste. Why? Because it's a super expensive item that takes forever to build (3580g) and you hurt yourself by not uping your survivability when you need it most. Ryze is a carry, save Zhonya's Ring for when you have cooked up alot of Mejai's Stacks late game and you're looking for something to dump all that extra gold on. You want to make the most of that 25% AP bonus and buying it mid game does not accomplish this. Yes, I know it makes you invulnerable for 2 seconds, but you are weak and helpless while you spend all your money on the 3 blasting wands needed to build it.

SUMMONER ABILITIES:
GHOST: My personal favorite because it both allows you to escape as well as get kills since you can run people down and snare them. (I highly recommend using this with Ryze)
EXHAUST: A good escape mechanism for getting away from characters such as warwick, rogues, or just plain heavy melee types since it not only blinds them to stem the flow of damage they can deal, but it also slows them down for long enough to escape.
FLASH: A great tool for getting surprise kills and making escapes by jumping scenery
TELEPORT: Useful for reducing the time needed to shop and get back to your lane as well as quickly switching to a lane that's in trouble.

I wouldn't bother with the other summoner abilities just because you really need escapes and ways to quickly catch someone off guard. For this reason, I prefer to use ghost/exhaust because both will help you gank people and run away when things get messy.

MASTERIES:
A good arguement can be made for going with 9/0/21 as your mastery build, but I really prefer to have 23/6/1 for champ killing because 5% extra damage from havoc is awesome.

RUNES:
You could build any number of rune setups for Ryze, but in General:
MARKS: 1. Magic Penetration 2. Crit Chance 3. Attack Speed
SEALS: 1. Health at level 18 2. Mana Regen at lvl 18
GLYPHS: 1. Cooldown & Cooldown at level 18 2. Mana & Mana at lvl 18
QUINTESSENCES: Whatever you want to focus on, Experience, and Movement speed are good as well. Or do a little of everything.

Well hopefully that pretty much covers everything you ever wanted (or probably didn't care) to know about Ryze.
I have played with this build for a long time now, and I am fairly confident that I'm close to perfection.
Hopefully this guide helps.
Critique this guide for my sake and anybody you believe I am misleading, but I find this build to be pretty solid.

Keivan

04-30-2010

I've been having moderate success playing Ryze, I've always rushed an Archangles in my build. I figured Mana for Overload, tons of regen, and the AP bonus from the big Mana pool is full of win. I've been saving the RoA until after my soulstealer and I build two of them, the second never has enough time to cap out. But ya, I'm pretty vulnerable early game and it takes a while for all those items to begin building potent stacks. I'll give your build a try tonight. Do you have a big problem with running out of mana with this?

I've made a macro of RWEQ on my G15. The buttons fire and mouse click .1 seconds apart (except I give more time for the ball to bounce a bit). Champs just explode I usually die instantly afterward though. When his buddy shows up

clickclickboom

04-30-2010

First of all, considering Ryze's pathetic attack speed, you won't be able to "burst in less than a second" especially if you're attempting to use Lich Bane and use auto attack between each spell as "R+select, W+select, E+select, Q+select" seems to indicate and if you're not using auto attack, what's the point of the select after R or getting the item at all.

Any Ryze item build without Zhonya's ring is fail. It has the best offensive/defensive bonuses to Ryze out of any item. Zhonya seems over-rated to you because you just don't know how to time the invulnerability active properly. You should probably run mejai first, boots, elixir of brilliance, then deviate from there depending on the opposition, getting zhonya somewhere.

Dragmar

04-30-2010

I believe you need to get Tear first.

Lets you farm pretty good early, and later you build it into archangels, and it ends up adding over 100 ap from just that item.

Then you gotta get ROA for more health, and more mana which means more dmg to archangels and for your DD spell. But it gives health, the main reason you need it.

then boots. sorc or merc, Merc give you soem MR combined with your health from ROA and glacial shroud for defense.

And you end up not just beening so squishy while still being able to burst pretty hard.

so

Tear
ROA
Boots
Archangels
glacial shroud
zhonyias.

Good burst and pretty good surviability.
You tend to never be able to build zhonyias

I really think this is a good build. If you get soulstealer, and don't just rape, you are going to be lacking pretty hard. This will be a solid build, if you are doing great, build zhonyias earlier

Zeero

Recruiter

04-30-2010

Anyone else feel like Ryze took a huge hit with the nerf to Rune Prison? I have played a alot of Ryze and Used to be able to stand toe to toe with melee DPS and ranged DPS but now I just get destroyed. It is really frustrating since I really do like playing ryze but feel that, even though it was a small change, he got hit really hard and is less effective now....

P.S: I like your build but actually typically prefer an even tankier build. Usually get both banshee's and Frozen heart. Also I almost always prefer to get Merc treads unless it's a pubstomp game. Just my two cents.

anaverageasian

Recruiter

04-30-2010

a lot of the problem is the lack of ap really hurts since his ap ratios got nerfed. i usually run something like

sapphire crystal
boots, finish teardrop
mejais
fiendish codex
finish archangel
zhonya
void staff, depending on the situation

i finish boots whenever i have a chance.

i have 6%cd red from runes, and another 9% from masteries.

I usually will do E, W, Q, R, E, Q, W

yeah it's more to do, and yeah it takes longer than the old ryze did, but with the ap ratios affected, i find i'd rather get my spells off twice than just try to have each do lots of damage once, since you can't really get the ap bonus on each high enough until end game.

shawster

Recruiter

04-30-2010

i go

glacial shroud -> catalyst -> sorc boots -> roa -> haunting guise /(frozen heart) (mejai)/

basically you dont need much ap, max out cd reduc w/ golem quick and just rape

spell order is e-w-q-q-q-r max out overload then prison then flux and ulti.

the theory behind my entire build is cd reduc, and overload levels with cd reduc. pretty much overload -> ulti -> prison -> spell flux -> overload is enough to kill anyone squishy w/o ap. ap is overated, survival and cd reduc is where it's at.

Madmack

04-30-2010

I just tried this build.

It works very well IMO.

No ring can sting a little. But I agree that as far as AP goes, you don't need it, and the suggested build offers more survivability than with the ring. I had significantly more survivability with this build. Yeah flame me for supposedly not using the ring correctly, but you don't know whether I use it right or not.

clickclickboom

04-30-2010

Quote:
Zeero:
Anyone else feel like Ryze took a huge hit with the nerf to Rune Prison?.

I thought it was a huge buff. They can't flash or skill out of it, except for a few blink abilities. The snare is HUGE and increases team kills, completely owns run-aways as they are forced to run cleanse or buy a sash. It makes Ryze more useful and stronger in the game.

kearndog

05-07-2010

Quote:
clickclickboom:
First of all, considering Ryze's pathetic attack speed, you won't be able to "burst in less than a second" especially if you're attempting to use Lich Bane and use auto attack between each spell as "R+select, W+select, E+select, Q+select" seems to indicate and if you're not using auto attack, what's the point of the select after R or getting the item at all.

Any Ryze item build without Zhonya's ring is fail. It has the best offensive/defensive bonuses to Ryze out of any item. Zhonya seems over-rated to you because you just don't know how to time the invulnerability active properly. You should probably run mejai first, boots, elixir of brilliance, then deviate from there depending on the opposition, getting zhonya somewhere.

You can burst in less than a second, so I don't know if you've tried that but... you can.

About Zhonya's, saying any build w/o it is fail is not very well considered imo. It requires that you spend 2,580g on 3 blasting rods before you get to spend another 800g on the actual item. So tell me why you would buy this thing as anything but your last item when you are maxing out? It only gives you a reasonable benefit if you have cooked up a sizeable amount of mejai's stacks which would mean that it's only good late game. If I had a ton of gold, I would buy a zhonya's ring to replace abyssal scepter for my last item.