UDYR the Speed Demon . . . by LOKI

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Loki the wicked

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-29-2010

Howdy and welcome to info how I play Udyr the speed demon !

Udyr is usually my first pick, and how I have learn to play him is so extremely fun, its sickening.
Some people think Udyr is weak, and the best ELO rated player prob think he sucks, Im not claiming that I am in the top players, but my personal opinion is that he should be up there...
Maybe when I get higher up, I will change my mind.

I play mostly on EU server for lower ping, but I sometimes play on US server to keep in contact with old friends, and to see how the game works without all the GOA bugs.
(GOA is history, sweet==> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stH_SfjIXzo )

** 1 ** Runes

Seal ------------- Greater Seal of Evasion +0.75% dodge
Mark ------------ +2.23% critical damage (I did use +1.96 armor penetration)
Glyph ----------- Greater Glyph of Celerity -0.05% cooldowns per level
Quintessence --- Greater Quintessence of Evasion +1.5% dodge

** 2 ** Masteries
21 / 9 / 0
the 21 is simply because its nice dps.
the 9 is to get more dodge and also gain 10% speed if you dodge. "Nimbleness"

** 3 ** Skill Order

When you start the game, I usually always take Bear stance, because me and my mates usually go in grass and kill people before battle. Stun is extremity useful.

Level 1= Bear (stun is king,only take one point in it, unless u plan to chase)
Level 2= Turtle (will save your life many times, max this skill if laneing)
Level 3= Phoenix (This is your farming skill nr1)

This priority order is a bit dependent on how you are gonna play.

If you are gonna jungle, if so this is the priority list, Phoenix, Turtle, Bear, Tiger

If you are staying in the lane, then turtle stance have a higher priority. Udyr is weak early game, mid game he is a shiny star, late game he is a supernova.

** 4 ** Items
Trinity Force, Phantom Dancer, Mercury Threads, Madred's Bloodrazor (+2 other random gear)
The main priority is to focus on Trinity Force, get that and nothing els matters.

1st... Sapphire Crystal, (Mana is Udyrs weakness early game, this solves it)
2nd...Boots of Speed (movement is everything, upgrade info below)
3rd...Zeal (extra movement and more killing power)
4th...Sheen(Really nice since u swap stance often)
5th...Phage(needed to get for Trinity Force)
6th...Trinity Force(Pure Udyr power, now you will not fear anything 1on1)

If you are gonna jungle then throw in Vampiric Scepter before Sapphire instead.

Upgrade Boots (rank2) you should ALWAYS pick boots depending what champions you are facing.

Berserker's Greaves --- If you think about this item, go out get drunk, come back when you have forgotten about this item, there is almost no champion where this item is good in comparison with the following boots.

Mercury's Treads --- If you are facing a lot of AP champs and a lot of CC. (I get this 99%)

Ninja Tabi --- If your opponents are mostly Physical damage, this is an acceptable option.

Now that you have boots and TF
Zeal ==> Phantom Dancer, and item 3,4,5 is dependent on who you are facing. Udyr is usually not that dependent on gear, stunning the opponent, after that Phoenix just burns them down within a few seconds.
Mid / Late game 99% of the times anyone faces me 1on1 they start running, this is often because I have already killed many of them several times. And nothing can outrun Udyr, with even makes it more fun, live for the hunt.

I would prob recommend some kind of life gain, even if Turtle stance can do the job, its always nice to have full life.

You can also pick a few of item that debuffs the enemy

Frozen Heart
- Is an extremely good pick, More mana, slow enemy attack speed, and less CD makes this extremely nice, and 99 armor is not to forget.

Manamune is really nice option, and you really get the +1000 mana really fast. And make u stance dance without about ur mana pool.

Innervating Locket Extremely strong item, personally I dont use it, but cant do aUdyr guide without to mention it.

Some people are more for, attack speed, to get phoenix flame to hit in more often, personally I do not think this is that important, since you switch stances so fast, you mostly only want the phoenix "buff" you get once u activate it, and then after that I switch to another stance as fast as possible, to either gain shield or stun the opponent, I never stay in a stance longer then I have to.

A lot of Udyrs damage comes from Phoenix stance, sadly it does not scale good with AB, but another option would be to try and get -Magic Penetration gear. Alot of Udyrs damage comes from TF proc, MB, and Phoenix

** 5** How to Play a Udyr the speed demon
(Important: This way of playing Udyr is not for the beginner, but after a few games when you know how to control Udyr and know what u can and can not do.)

How I play Udyr, is not the main killing demon and not tank, but a strategic wrecking ball.

I run around back and forth on the map, avoiding fights and pushing lanes alone, taking down towers before the enemy can reacts. This requires a lot of map awareness, and always checking the map and always knowing where the enemy is. You can take down ANYONE 1on1, usually 2 also (just know your enemy), if there are more then you can hit bear stance, stun him, run away, and shifting between, bear and turtle stance as you keep run. There is no other champion who can keep up with that kind of speed.

Running around as fast as Udyr can. makes him uncontrollable for the other team, I solo push lanes, forcing the enemy to try and deal with the situation.

If they send one player to deal with me, resulting in the one who came ends up dead.

If they instead send 2-3 players towards me. If I see more then one person missing from map, who is not dead or was far away recently, then you fall back. Any dead player is a BAD player.

If TF, shen or any other combo sneaks up before you have reacted, Stun the first one and run away from the situation, but if the enemy is placing 2 players means the rest of my team get the advantage 4vs3, 4vs2 depending how many they sent to try and gank you. So sure lets say they sent 3 people to kill you and they did kill you, the rest of the team should have gotten one tower down, and that would have been worth it. (Even if they send 3-4 after me 99% of the times I get away alive and my other mates destroy towers while the enemy is wasting time running back and forth all over the map)

** 6 ** - Level guidelines
Level 3+, Kill the Golem for mana rune buff. (full mana and life)
Level 6+, with any friend kill Dragon.
Level 8+ solo dragon

How u kill mobs in jungle, just use phoenix stance as often as u can, and switching between Turtle and Phoenix is the best way to kill mobs without taking any damage, only problem is the mana early game, so try and get Mana rune buff ASAP.
Turtle stance, swap to Phoenix stance asap, stay in Phenolic and do 4 auto attack to get trigger, then back to turtle repeat.

Once you get the mana rune, you can go for all 3 stances, Bear, Phoenix, Turtle... and repeat. Personally I only do Turtle and Phoenix.
But since the stances are cheaper the higher level you have in it, bear stance is mana expensive early game, unless you have endless of mana, save it for the fight vs other champions.

Simply stay in the jungle, pop out helping out different lanes, run in, stun, phoenix get the kill, go back to jungle. Hit and run... guerrilla warfare.

** 7 ** Basic Information
Tiger Stance --- Crappy skill, almost only worth using on buildings.
Turtle Stance
--- Shield, will save your life many times.
Bear Stance --- Chasing opponent and stunning them will be your main job in fights.
Phoenix Stance --- This is your main damage skill.

Phoenix / Turtle --- Basic stance rotation early game, to conserve mana
Bear / Phoenix / Turtle --- Basic 1on1 rotation
Bear / Phoenix / Tiger --- The highest dps rotation, use if you aint taking damage and need to nuke fast.
Bear / Turtle --- This rotation, will let you run away from most fights, laughing at envy casting spells at you bouncing of your turtle shield while they eat your dust.

And they did nerf Phoenix and did try and make Tiger stance better, but still, tiger and pure Damage gear build is not what I would suggest for Udyr.

** 8 ** Downsides to this build.
The way I build Udyr is not made for tanking, but if u have good skills and experience you can live threw anything even without tanking gear. But until you master Udyr Ill prob suggest to build a bit more tank geared until you feel comfortable to handle him.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

http://www.lolbase.net/us/Loki-the-wicked
http://www.lolbase.net/eu/Loki-the-Wicked

I will update this thread, more each day until its complete, feel free to comment and give feedback.

boni

04-30-2010

Nice, seems like you play Udyr in a similar way that I do.

As for Runes: I'd mix some AS into the ARPen. Especially if you're jungling. You also get ARPen from Masteries, and they have less armor than your ARpen then. I guess CDR or MR are fine for Glyphs.
And as your build focuses on MS so much.. have you ever tried Movespeed-Quints?

I'd also add Guardian Angel to the recommended items as you're very likely to be focused. Revive in a teamfight, unleash hell. That item won me several games.
I also like to get one lifesteal-item at some point (even if it's only a Vamp Scepter, but Starks/Bloodthirster is better) so you can also lifesteal in Phoenix-Stance.

Quote:
** 6 ** What can you do at different levels.
Level 4, Kill the Golem for mana rune buff.
Level 6, with any friend kill Dragon.
Level 8+ solo dragon
With Smite, Udyr can kill the Golem at Lvl1.
If you're jungling, Udyr should be able to kill Dragon at lvl5. Especially with the 2 Buffs, a Razor and Smite.

Loki the wicked

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by boni View Post
Nice, seems like you play Udyr in a similar way that I do.

As for Runes: I'd mix some AS into the ARPen. Especially if you're jungling. You also get ARPen from Masteries, and they have less armor than your ARpen then. I guess CDR or MR are fine for Glyphs.
And as your build focuses on MS so much.. have you ever tried Movespeed-Quints?

I'd also add Guardian Angel to the recommended items as you're very likely to be focused. Revive in a teamfight, unleash hell. That item won me several games.
I also like to get one lifesteal-item at some point (even if it's only a Vamp Scepter, but Starks/Bloodthirster is better) so you can also lifesteal in Phoenix-Stance.

With Smite, Udyr can kill the Golem at Lvl1.
If you're jungling, Udyr should be able to kill Dragon at lvl5. Especially with the 2 Buffs, a Razor and Smite.
Movespeed-Quints? - Nope, I have been thinking about it. But with Trinity Force, Phantom Dancer, Boots, Dodge Mastery = 5% speed + bear stance = My experience tells me that I do not need more any speed.

Guardian Angel - I dont really like the idea in general. "If I fie Ill live"... I prefer to always have gear that makes me never die instead. And If you get ganked by 2-3 people the Guardien angel is pointless anyway.

Jungeling / Smite - I do not want to take a spell that will only help me to jungle, does not help late game = not good.
And gaining the first 3-4 levels goes really fast anyway
And dragon solo level 5. once again, Im not building Udyr for jungleing.

rmandraque

05-02-2010

I like were you're going but my udyr build is faster :P.