Conservative or Aggressive play?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mjollnir

09-08-2009

Which do you favor and why?

There are times for each, of course, but in general I think everyone tends to be the type that backs a safe time early or the type that stays to finish the last two or three hits on the tower.

Ayleid

09-08-2009

I tend to go with a mix of them. If I go conservative, I end up prolonging the game so much that the opposing team finishes their dream build. If I go aggressive, I tend to lose map awareness. :P

Aviseras

09-08-2009

This depends entirely on whether or not you can coordinate with your team and who your hero is. Way too broad of a question.

Mjollnir

09-08-2009

I personally prefer playing aggressively. As I see it, conservative play is the result of failing at aggressive play .

Of course, there are times to play conservatively, but I find those few and far between. Too often do I see an entire team futilely try to run from Nunu's ult only to have the entire team hit. 5 people can easily drop him to at least take one person out. Everyone has experienced that Ashe they go to save who then abandons them as both gankers kill you with each having something like a hundred hp left. Everyone has themselves tried running from five people (while getting a little bit of damage might be helpful). I've seen more than one game lost because instead of pushing with 4/5 down, a single player scares an entire team from taking tower damage and no inhibitor is taken. I've seen 6 stack cho'gaths refuse to go in first as a tank because they're afraid to lose that stack.

Too many times i see dumb things happen because of people playing conservatively. People get away with it because it doesn't show up on the scoreboard.

I also think with the new heroes playing defensively is just dumb. Blitzcrank will hook your ass. Janna's whirlwind will provide a brief knockup disable that her team can follow in. Malphite charges in with his ulti--stunning everyone and making it very easy to chain ultis (say ammumu and nunu).

Zelis

09-08-2009

Thats th eproblem right there. its not playing vonservativly thats the problem. its some of the people that try to play conservativly that dont have a proper grasp on teamwork or the fundamentals of the play style in general.

Logo

09-08-2009

If you are doing it right there's no difference between the two.

You need to be aggressive so you can control the pace of the game, at the same time you need to play conservatively to maintain that control. Anything that's aggressive that gets you killed without a tangible reward is a bad move, not pressing in on opportunities that present themselves is just as bad of a mistake. When learning it's best to err on the side that keeps you alive but really you need to play to the situation not a level of aggressiveness.

Atmosfear

09-08-2009

IMO playstyle depends entirely on who is in your lane. If you are melee you need to be wary of enemy champions that are ranged. Likewise if you are solo laning vs 2 champions you need to be play conservatively as well.

Savage

09-08-2009

Tight, aggressive play is what wins. It's not a matter of preference or any of that garbage, it's just how pretty much every game is played.

Mr Tibbers

09-08-2009

Depends. I always assert lane dominance if possible, but I do so in a laid back way. I don't try to push tower, and I don't try to kill the opponent before I know I can. I just farm and harrass when they try to. After a bit, like level 4-6, I start to become more offensive until the point where I'm focused on nothing but killing and surviving. :/

Havuk

09-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage View Post
Tight, aggressive play is what wins. It's not a matter of preference or any of that garbage, it's just how pretty much every game is played.
thing about this is, if i knock a champ to like 1 hp and i tower dive for him, ive died before because i was unable to reach him or he has heals etc.

aggressiveness is key to a game, but i think it should be limited to when you know you the game is in your favor. if it is early game, being passive isnt such a bad thing.