Thought on BF Sword

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CarbunkleFlux

04-29-2010

Quote:
No way. The point of the BF sword is to sacrifice for a bit to get that large gain in damage. You can get a B.F. now in a short enough time already to take your champ from 'still viable' to 'shat brix all over you'.

If we had 3 longswords transmuting into a BF sword then why stop there? You just keep gaining damage now at a linear rate.

Way too powerful, and I'm melee DPS.
I'm looking for legitimate reasons. Why is gaining damage at a linear rate instead of instantly after about 2000 gold bad? Especially if you can farm it so fast now, then this 'sacrifice' you speak of isn't really there all. It logically shouldn't make a difference.

You're against this, but your only reason seems to be 'Because it's not like that now'.

Remember that the only reason people build BF Swords right now also, is to upgrade them into something. The end result cost of, say, an Infinity Edge, is still quite a large amount of time and money. So what does a gradual cost of a BF Sword instead of an up-front cost hurt in the grand scheme of things?

Stakt

04-29-2010

I'm with the "nay"s on this one. If you introduce this recipe, you're going to indirectly buff all dps champions who want to get infinity edges, bloodthirsters, and black cleavers. Instead of having to make an early game sacrifice for a better lategame, they'll just be strong throughout.

There's also an aesthetic reason, which is that BF sword is a "pure" item giving just one benefit. Right now, all pure items are purchased directly, not from recipes. This makes sense because a recipe is supposed to take the consituent items, combine them into one slot, and give you a little something extra.

Carados

04-29-2010

He doesn't understand the purpose of time as a design mechanic.

sweatersDC

04-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbunkleFlux View Post
This isn't DotA. Ideally, LoL should be surpassing DotA's limitations, not restricting itself to them 'just cause'.

This is more a general response than targeted at you:

I don't think building into a BF Sword, as opposed to having to save up to buy it outright, hurts the BF Sword or any other item. The end result is exactly the same: you spend 1850 on 50 attack damage and you need this item to build into some of the most absolutely necessary AD items for a DPS.

The only change is that you now make the investment in pieces instead of having to save your money specifically to buy it all at once. This makes building AD less of a pain and improves certain characters' earlygames without actually changing anything about them at all.
By "certain characters" you mean "every physical DPS" right? It's simple.. if you could build Long Swords toward a BF Sword, then everyone who currently builds a BF Sword will be getting a major buff to their damage on the way to getting that BF Sword. Is there some reason we need to buff all physical DPS champs?

CarbunkleFlux

04-30-2010

Let's put this in perspective. This "major buff to physical DPS" is 10, then 20, then 30 AD on the way to 50 AD as the same end result. But that initial 30 AD is accompanied by nothing else. It's not like you're buying a Brutalizer. You're spending 1200+ on 3 Long Swords.

The closest thing to a legitimate reason I've received is that there is a time sacrifice. But nobody has given me a good reason that this time sacrifice exists. Frankly, it's just 50 AD. If it didn't build into an Infinity Edge or Bloodthirster, I'd rather get any of the other AD items that provide CDR, Armor pen, crit%, added effects or attack speed on top of damage for less gold cost overall.

And none of those items with better effects have only an up-front cost; you build into them.

So what makes a sole 50 AD buff so special that you need to save up nearly 2000 gold to buy it all at one time instead of building up to it?

Let me make it clear if it's not already: nothing else is changing. The total cost is exactly the same.

Talamare

04-30-2010

Considering auto attackers tend to be UP early game, this would actually be a nice little buff

Killroth

05-02-2010

Hummm, yeah, I agree with the "pure item" argument, and I also agree with the idea of saving up to achieve something better. You spend your first 10 levels farming duckets, but then you just appear with your +50 damage, and shock everybody with your unruly burst damage. And then go on to get your bloodthirster or whatever. AP building is linear because magic is more unreliable IMO.

Vijaya

05-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatersDC View Post
By "certain characters" you mean "every physical DPS" right? It's simple.. if you could build Long Swords toward a BF Sword, then everyone who currently builds a BF Sword will be getting a major buff to their damage on the way to getting that BF Sword. Is there some reason we need to buff all physical DPS champs?
Because every melee DPS champ who isn't Jax is UP.

I like this idea a lot, and can see it making early laning as melee champs way more viable (not buying anything until you have a BF so Panth can actually creep farm well is ****ing bull****). I can also see it making early laning as range champs OP, but this is just theory crafting and Riot would have to implement this first so we could actually test it.