Garen Basic Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BloodDrunkRapist

04-27-2010

Hey,

So this is my first guide and its only a quick one seeing as ive only had about 8hours to play this character in total, bare with me guys. I have found a build that seems to work in every game ive played so far, even when my team is down 3 to 1 in the KD ratio im always ending up with atleast 2 to 1 kd ratio. Garen might be a little OP atm ill admit so getting a high kd is not very difficult but if you are struggeling or you simply want to try something that you may not have thought of yet here it is.

-Summoner Spells

Currently Ignite and Ghost are winning it for me, nothing fancy. Two very simple yet effective spells that will guarantee you kills and will giev you a good speed bonus for those nasty situations where you need to get out fast or when your opponent is someone like Jana who has some serious movement speed late game. Dont forget to use ignite! It racks up kills vs players using champions or cummoner spells that gives them a chance to escape. Not to mention it will piss them off.

-Runes
Okay, so runes.... I Use the same setup as the spotlight video shows for Garen, that is...
Marks - Full Armor pen
Seals - Crit Chance
Glyphs - CD reduction
Quints - Flat HP

That Extra Hp will really help early game and make a difference late game none the less.

-Masteries
So now we are on to masteries. Its a fairly basic setup, some people may think it is lacking or needs improvement, however im getting 20odd kills a game with this atm in both 5v5 and 3v3 so it seems to be working quite well. My current build is 21/9/0. Here is a link to see my exact mastery points.
http://www.leaguecraft.com/masteries...00000000000000

Basically im focusing very heavily on damage, which seems to be the most sucessful way of getting kills (suprise!). The remaining points are put towards dodge and nimbleness for some extra survivability and that ever so lovely MS boost on dodge. Archmages savvy and resistance are just fillers seeing as i needed the points and seeing as i dont use any of the Summoner spells that they buff its just not justified spending points on them, obvious to most people but maybe not to everyone.

-Skill Build
A quick skill build, very self explanatory. Ill go through all his skills real quick so people get a general idea of how to use them correctly, atleast in my oppinion.

-Passive - Perseverance. Regenerates .5% of his total Hp every second after not recieving damage for 7seconds.

Basically this allows you to stay in the fight until you either die for some unknown reason or you need items. You may get gold starved early game but you will never get xp starved with this hero. You can stay well within the xp range of creeps and at the same time stay out of combat without any problems what so ever.

-Decisive Strike - Garen's next attack strikes a vital area of his foe, dealing bonus damage and silencing them.

Great skill, gievs you a 2.5second MS bonus for engaging or chasing, not to mention it silences and a fair bit of bonus damage. Garens best skill in my opinion when used correctly it can be the catalyst in any team fight, dont just spam it, use it wisely. Keep dangerous casters silenced as much as you can.

-Courage - Garen's kills increase his armor and magic resistance. He may also activate this ability to give himself a damage reducing shield.

Again, absolutely great skill. When its maxed it gives you 35 armor and magic armor. When activated you take 35%less damage for a few seconds, which is more than enough to engage a dangerous hero, soak up mass AoE, give you an edge in 1v1's or anything else really. A really useful tool, and again dont use this recklessly, it may have a short cooldown but it can save your life and give you a few extra kills/assists aswell!

-Judgement - Garen performs a dance of death with his sword, dealing damage around him and becoming immune to slowing effects for 3 seconds.

Okay so this is your main skill, it really doesnt need much of an explanation... Because you are a man (and a manly man at that!) wielding a deadly weapon in bulky armor, swinging a sword around at the speed of light is what you do best, am I right? Apart from getting all the... "Admiration" shall we say from the women in Demacia when you get back from your average day of skull crushing madness. When used at the right time this thing can save your life, or take someone elses if thats what you wish to do. Again this hero is alot about timing if you want to play him to 100% of his ability. I find that in late game this usually ends up doing around 300damage per second... Yes 300, which is quite ridiculous really. Because it hits everyone in range twice per second you can really rack up some serious punishment with this beast of a skill, even using this while chasing is in all reality the smart thing to do. No doubt you will spin them right round baby right round straight into their graves (Thumbs up for horrible song quotes). Dont forget this skill stacks with crit for bonus damage, very deadly even when used poorly!

-Demician Justice (ultimate) - Garen calls upon the might of Demacia to deal a finishing blow to an enemy champion that deals damage based upon how much life his target has missing.

Basically an execution move for when you need to kill someone quickly, chasing someone faster than you or if you simply want to be an ass and ks. It doesnt matter how you use it, its still just as fun looking at something getting hit for over 1k damage. At lvl 3 this skill does 525dmg + 1 for every 2.5hp missing from the targets total hp. Use this when target is at between 1/3 and 1/4 hp for a guaranteed kill. This is the skill that can get your team back into the game. If there is a certain hero that needs to be picked off in the other team for example kennan, jax, fiddles or even another garen that is causing majopr problems for you and your team use a combination of skills and finish it off quickly with this badboy and you got yourself a kill and most probably a nice gold bonus on top of that!

-Skill Build
1 Courage
2 Judgement
3 Decisive strike
4 Judgement
5 Judgement
6 Demician Justice
7 Judgement
8 Courage
9 Judgement
10 Decisive strike
11 Demician Justice
12 Courage
13 Decisive strike
14 Decisive strike
15 Decisive Strike
16 Demician Judge
17 Courage
18 Courage

I try and alternate courage and Decisive strike to get a maximum stack from courage for my level, however I find Decisive strike to be more useful at higher level than courage, its really up to you, if you feel you need more survivability an extra 7 armor and magic armor can be more valuable. Max out Judgement ASAP as that will be responsible for most of your damage.

-Items
Okay here comes the best part, the shiny shiny loot! Some might find my build quite odd but it works, especially if you are being gold starved which is a big possibility early game.

- First items
1x Boots
1x health potion (this may very well give you first blood if you need a little bit of healing)

Because of perseverance you should be able to stay down in your lane for quite a while. Once you eventually get back to base you should have Avarice Blade x2 waiting for you. Next complete your boots of swiftness. You should be able to get some kills now with the skill composition and the gear.

Next up is Youmuu's Ghostblade, absolutely awesome stats not to mention when you activate it you will annihilate anything in your path. With only a 60 second cooldown its one of the best items for this hero for sure. Now start building Zeal.

Once you get your hands on zeal start saving up for the phantom dancer, the stats once again is absolutely great for Garen and the extra dodge will give you a 24% dodge chance for extra survivability and nimbleness procs. By now you should have enough movement speed to chase anyone down.

By now you should be around 25-30mins into the game and depending on the situation here you can either go for infinity edge or warmog's armor. Both are great items for the hero so if you feel that you are dying a little too much dont hesitate to grab the armor, its quite expensive but its definately worth every penny. If you are carving up the battlefield (like a boss!) then go straight for infinity edge, it will give you enough damage and crit to basically make you unstoppable. I actually find myself getting both, by the time i get one of the above i usually need the bonus from the other, if the game isnt over yet.

Last item is really up to you, it doesnt have a major impact on the game as you are already destruction incarnate. There are a few different things u can get here...

Caster heavy team - Wits end is a good choice, but you have to remember it doesnt stack with Judgement. Banshees veil is another good choice if you are being targetted by casters.
Melee - Black Cleaver, this is usually what I end up getting as the damage scales with judgement and the debuff helps get those heavily armored units something to cry about. Sword of the divine can help if you are versing Jax seeing as he will most probably take you 1v1 if he has had a good feed. Getting a sword of the divine ensures a quick HP burn and you can finish him off with Demician justice before he becomes a real threat to your HP pool. Last whisper/mandreds bloodrazor is also an option you may want to consider when vsing a heavy melee team.

Keep in mind that you may want to get Mercury threads if you are vsing a CC heavy team.

So basically your items should look something like this in the order you buy them...
Boots >
2x Avarice blade >
Boots of swiftness >
Youmuu's Ghostblade >
Zeal >
Phantom Dancer >
Infinity edge/Warmog's Armor >
Warmog's Armor/Infinity edge >
One of the above mentioned, whatever the situation calls for.

-Things to keep in mind
Like Jax, Garen has good tower diving skills even at a quite low level, if you can pick someone off dont hesitate to do so.
Your Judgement is amazingly powerfull, even when going 1v2 it can give you an edge because of its massive damage and slow immunity, keep this in mind while ganking.

Because he doesnt have any other engaging spells than Decisive strike, dont let yourself get kited by slows, you are an easy target for a good Ashe or any other ranged champion with slows if you are careless!
When vsing heros with stuns keep in mind judgement only makes you immune to slows, not stuns, its easy to get carried away and go balls to the walls with strong heros such as Garen, dont get too cocky.

This is in no way THE guide for this champion, I am merely sharing what has been working for me thus far. Feel free to Tear me apart below, or give some constructive critisizm.. As i said this is my first Guide so... whatever goes.

Happy Hunting
//BDR

Slap My Booty

04-27-2010

ok warmogs isnt werth it and i dont think u should use boots of swiftnes any smart tem brings CC like u must use merc threads and btw u dont even ned swifterness u have a speed boost on q, a speed boost on amumus blade, and a ghost sumoner spell.

btw u need cleanse (adn dont disagree my iq is like 300 and urs is like 180 max

BloodDrunkRapist

04-27-2010

Like I said, merc boots may be needed if ur versing a CC heavy team. Most teams in random 5v5's or 3v3's even dont really pick a team that works great together, they pick whatever hero they feel like and its most likely something horribly bad or something without stuns. All the extra movement gives you a ridiculous amount of survivability and not to mention utilities for ganking that really cant be matched. Alot of people panic when you come spinning at them and just decide to run which is exactly what you want them to do. Cleanse really isnt something worth getting in most cases in my opinion as people are just stupid enough to target people with low hp pools instead of the real threat, or dont even have stuns at all. However fair enough... Warmog's basically makes you unkillable, id say its one of the top 5 items for the hero no doubt, if you feel you need it that is. If you arnt taking much damage then why bother getting it.

But again as i said this isnt some kind of ultimate guide its just how i play the hero.

KyuzoS7

04-27-2010

what to sub for warmog's then?

Carados

04-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyuzoS7 View Post
what to sub for warmog's then?
Frozen Mallet.

He's a melee carry. Phage at the very least is required.

(Warmogs is one of the least gold efficient items in the game)

Aarku

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap My Booty View Post
ok warmogs isnt werth it and i dont think u should use boots of swiftnes any smart tem brings CC like u must use merc threads and btw u dont even ned swifterness u have a speed boost on q, a speed boost on amumus blade, and a ghost sumoner spell.

btw u need cleanse (adn dont disagree my iq is like 300 and urs is like 180 max
Last comment just gave away you are trolling.

Troll harder next time.

Wuumaster

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-27-2010

To replace Warmong's

General Survivability - Guardian Angel or Aegis of the Legion, if no one on your team has one already.

Anti-Melee - Sunfire Cape, Warden's Mail, or Randuin's Omen. The cape gives a nice combination of Health & Armor, plus a little more AoE damage to stack with Judgement. The slow on the Warden's is handy as well. The Omen is new, and the active is nice when combined with your Courage skill.

Anti-Caster - Banshee's Veil or Force of Nature. Banshee's gives a nice health boost in addition to some MR and the Spell Shield, while the FoN helps you run around quicker.

Coleman

04-28-2010

Even if you never use the other summoner spells, why pick the AP teir 1 mastery for your 4th point? Just in case you can't have Garen? Because he gains nothing from it.

Gergination

04-28-2010

I thought Garen's strategy involved headbutting your keyboard aiming for the Judgement key over and over.

Fumbi

04-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carados View Post
Frozen Mallet.

He's a melee carry. Phage at the very least is required.

(Warmogs is one of the least gold efficient items in the game)

Frozen Mallet doesn't work with judgement that rly sucks