Garen - The Tank?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

berkheij

07-19-2010

You say you stil get a lot of kils with this build, but your damage is low. So your just finishing off enemies with your ultimate? i build garen with the normal dps items but also add randuim's omen, you wil be able to take quite soem damage but still do grat damage.

KrupsMcGee

07-19-2010

Yeah, playing Garen as your dedicated tank will lose you the game. Everyone seems to play him as a tanky dps, and that does fine. He's a little underwhelming without IE and ghostblade for damage.

He's a good counter to a powerful mage tho. I would see him more as a counterpick in ranked, and even then there are probably better options.

Grist

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-12-2010

theres a great build on leaguecraft surrounding boots of switfness sunfire capes and randuins omen. my damage output is just fine using this method. Judgement plus sunfirecapes plus DS and then ult is enough to chop people up. The build works and you are incredibly hard to kill. I dont really like the items in this one though. Just saying, tank garen definitely works but possibly not as main tank.

D SlowKing

08-12-2010

I lol at all of you that bought him in the free week.

I have been maining garen since he was released and i always go legendary with him.

Lets say theres a mix of AP users and AD users in the enemy team, my final stats by minute 45 or so would be: 460 movement (without decisive), 3500 health, 220 armor, 150 magic resist, 25% dodge, 50% crit, 210 dmg.

I pretty much take a dump on all the garens i encounter, and i loved seeing all these new garens going for sunfire first and no im not telling you my build.

Kennith

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-14-2010

Updated.

Shamanb

09-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carados View Post
You do realize trolling is against the rules, right?

If you want to prove me wrong, just say why I'm wrong instead of having to resort to harassment.

Initiating as Garen relies on the other team standing still and letting you initiate.

Initiating is committing the other team to a fight when they do not want to be fighting.

Any initiation with Garen relies on the other team being okay with you starting the fight.
Garen ain't made to provoke fight, he's a tough melee character, not a tank.

Meaning he can tower dive easy, take a hell of a beating no problem and still beat on you.
Garen is a very good character to have in a team, he has a huge presence in teamfights and can gank relatively easy with his ultimate even with no cc.

But yeah... you are totally right, Garen CANNOT initiate other then charging in and not caring about the other team.

McRofls

09-10-2010

I play Garen as a tank, I feel that is what's best. His E does completely ridiculous damage at low levels and it still does good damage when you're in end game even without damage items.

I start off with a Dorans Shield every time.
I then build Merc Treds (Any decent team has CC..)
Next it really depends on what the team is made of, but: Chain Armor or Negatron Cloak,
Giant Belt
Chain armor or negatron cloak (Whichever you didn't get)

I'd say that's pretty core right there. Most of the time I don't bother with an Aegis due to having another tank, and even then I admit I'm usually greedy and don't get one

End up with a FoN and a Randuins/Sunfire, game is a breeze from here on out.

Carados

09-10-2010

Garen isn't a tank, even if you choose to the Sunfire build. He's still a melee carry.

And hint: As with every other character in the game, if you're buying Sunfires before you finish your Randuin's, you're doing it wrong.

McRofls

09-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carados View Post
Garen isn't a tank, even if you choose to the Sunfire build. He's still a melee carry.

And hint: As with every other character in the game, if you're buying Sunfires before you finish your Randuin's, you're doing it wrong.
Semantics. What's a tank then?

Carados

09-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRofls View Post
Semantics. What's a tank then?
Let's do this Socratically.

What does a tank do? What is their role, and their job?