Garen - The Tank?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kennith

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Member

04-28-2010

I appreciate all the input, very much appreciated.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ChemoshofBones

Senior Member

05-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by theIatola View Post
All the other team has to do to counter this strat is run away. Garen has no way of choosing where the fight happens. If Garen is going to be your teams tank. Your team has to have a lot of CC to be able to hold the fight in that location. Like an Annie Tibbers stun and a veigar stun ring, which at that point you should just be DPS to finish off the stunned legends.

What does Garen do when he is ignored, and Jax and Warwick are killing the carry? With no stun, taunt or get that champion away ability, all he can do is kill the two champs that are killing the carry, so he seems like a very tanky dps character, like Jax. He is not a tank.

i m kinda torn in my opinion on this, tank garen really is a wall and your kinda right he doesnt have tuant etc, so maybe the answer is early gaem tank items, mid - late slowly converting into dmg so you have a hybrid tank or a hybrid tank/dps that can sit in the fray?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ADCisMyReligion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

05-07-2010

The problem with people saying Garen is not a tank is they fail to realize Garen accels as a tank but not as a DPS. DPS Garen without defense gets killed so easily, that's why you people stopped playing Garen so fast they realized hes bad. Tank Garen doesn't die and can get sword of the occult and have 250 armor and 4k hp (EASILY, I might add) while still have 160-200 damage to still be tanky dps.

All Garens that you see these days build tanky because thats the only way to go with Garen. This is true.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DreamyDays

Senior Member

05-07-2010

Well, he is an infantryman.
He wears a thick armor.
He has a big sword.


Therefore, he should be tank/DPS hybrid.



.... At least, that is his design concept, I think.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Temlam

Senior Member

05-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xetios View Post
The problem with people saying Garen is not a tank is they fail to realize Garen accels as a tank but not as a DPS. DPS Garen without defense gets killed so easily, that's why you people stopped playing Garen so fast they realized hes bad. Tank Garen doesn't die and can get sword of the occult and have 250 armor and 4k hp (EASILY, I might add) while still have 160-200 damage to still be tanky dps.

All Garens that you see these days build tanky because thats the only way to go with Garen. This is true.
I'm a dps garen...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PhoenixBomb

Senior Member

05-07-2010

You can't build a tanky Garen without some kind of damage, you'll just get ignored. And you need to prioritize RO fairly high up there...without it, his initiating impact is too low.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Randomyzed

Senior Member

05-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by theIatola View Post
All the other team has to do to counter this strat is run away. Garen has no way of choosing where the fight happens. If Garen is going to be your teams tank. Your team has to have a lot of CC to be able to hold the fight in that location. Like an Annie Tibbers stun and a veigar stun ring, which at that point you should just be DPS to finish off the stunned legends.

What does Garen do when he is ignored, and Jax and Warwick are killing the carry? With no stun, taunt or get that champion away ability, all he can do is kill the two champs that are killing the carry, so he seems like a very tanky dps character, like Jax. He is not a tank.
Yes the team runs away and then stands and watches as you roll over their towers and eventually nexus WHICH is how you win... If thats a bad strat than what's a good one?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bruteque

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

05-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomyzed View Post
Yes the team runs away and then stands and watches as you roll over their towers and eventually nexus WHICH is how you win... If thats a bad strat than what's a good one?
Surrendering the initiative is the quickest route to defeat. If you cannot choose when and where to engage but your opponents can, then you are at a huge disadvantage. They have an edge when fighting with their backs to their turret. You do not want that to be the only kind of engagement you can conditionally force.

Even if they are fighting with their backs to their turret, they still have the option to give you the turret and re-engage when the situation shifts in their favor (health/mana replenished, reinforcements arrive, CDs refresh, etc.). The ability to force an engagement when you have the advantage is simply too important.

Besides, what makes Garen special is that, in Justice, he has an ability that item-scales multiplicatively with more than just penetration (to crit). Not buying at least some crit/arp items for him is just not playing him to his strength. With only Courage, Garen is whiskey delta in the pecking order of defensive mastery. Without at least a pair of offensive items to boost Justice, Garen is like a gimped Mordekaiser with both less offense and less defense.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

brotoss

Junior Member

05-17-2010

i have only one thing to say to this: WE REQUIRE ADDITIONAL SUNFIRE CAPES


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Linkan

Member

05-17-2010

i dont see what the problem is with a DPS/tank hybrid garen personally..

My build consists of:

Brawlers gloves, 2x health pot
Avarice blade
Ninja Tabi
Brutalizer
Avarice Blade
Youmu's G'Blade
Heart of gold
Wardens mail? whatever builds into Ramuis Omen
Ramuis Omen
Infintiy Edge
Frozen Mallet or Last Whisper after selling Avarice Blade

the battle should be over at basicallyl infinity edge i believe

i end up with a fair amount of damage armour and health..