Atma's impaler, useful on DPS?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zephyrlot

04-27-2010

TL;DR: Does atma's have its uses on DPS champs?

Story:

I am corki mid, against an AP ezreal (first item amp tome), teemo (later found out he was AP), and I believe mord. I rush catalyst to turn it into a veil and get merc's. I have a solid early game, and am allowed to farm up to last whisper and an infinity edge.

At this point I finish my boots into merc's and have around 120 MR, but a challenger appears: Garen is focusing on me every teamfight, every single teamfight, and is not getting focused himself due to much squishier enemies in his wake.

This presents a problem: I do not have a single armor item and, although I have around 2500 hp, am still rather squishy, so I decide to let my next investment be into an armor item since my damage output is already somewhere around legendary.

I browse through, having never considered an armor item on corki before, and stumbled upon atma's impaler. Gasp. It gives armor, which will boost my armor to the point of having over 100 of both resistances. It has critical chance, which is also a bonus as it has synergy with my infinity edge. And, 2% of your HP is converted into damage (50 at 2500 HP). It looked alright although a bit unusual, and when I asked for a second opinion, people began questioning my sanity.

That seems pretty good for an item I'm getting just for some extra armor. Why is it so hated ? Is there something I'm missing, such as a better item that I don't know of?

Ebonclaw

04-27-2010

Need Armor? Check.
Benefit from Crit? Check.
More than 1000 HP? Check.

There is an irrational fear of this item, I think stemming from the belief that no character benefits enough from both Armor and Crit, to justify the "cost" of the passive. The "cost" of the passive breaks even just shy of 1000 HP. If the other 2 mods are of use to you, then it's not a good item - it's the perfect item.

Judah the Lion

04-27-2010

On some it is, like Sion and Jax.

Supreme1337

04-28-2010

Very useful item, and in your situation, it would have been like another BF sword, with a decent amount of armor, and some crit chance (for only ~600 gold more than a BF sword).

Xano74

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-28-2010

I use the Impaler on Taric because I stack health items. It gives him the damage boost he needs because his attack speed is quite crappy. The crit boost is helpful too. I have 25% crits after getting this item.

It is usually the first item I build after Mana Manipulator and Ninja Tabi.

AFKray

04-28-2010

Atma's is amazing.

Most champions by level 18 get around 2,000 or so health without getting any HP items. That is 40 damage right there with Atma's. It is a deceptive item but for champions that need damage but are getting ripped apart by Ranged dps really love this item. It is personally one of my favorite items in the game and used in many of my builds.

Almagest

04-28-2010

Any time I have a DPS champ that hits 2500 HP (with or without items), I get Atma's Impaler. I'm a big fan; at 2500 it's a B.F. Sword with crit chance and armor for a good price.

I use it when I play Garen and it works out pretty nice for me.

EchoRex

04-28-2010

Are you interested in living?
Did you buy a Frozen Mallet or Banshee's like a good lil dps should?

If so, buy it.