Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Champion Concept] Orion, Sorcerer of the Cataclysm

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Echoing

07-23-2011

If you like this champion, you may be interested in my other champions:

Annalyn, the Steel Juggernaut: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=997595
Mire, the Eroding Ooze: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1001658
Mia, the Dragon's Talons: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1005449

In an effort to create the ideal team with my created champions, I shall now work on an AP carry. It took me awhile to think of anything to use as a starting concept; demi-humans are a lot harder to think of when you rule out vampires and werewolves right off the bat.

And then I thought of lasers.

Appearance: Orion is a hooded man with a long gray beard being one of the two things visible underneath the hood, the other being the red glow of his eyes. He wears a dark red robe with an orange trim. An orb hovers in front of him, being the focal point of his magic.

Lore: To be filled in when this hits 50 posts.

Stats:
Damage: 50 (+2.7 per level)
Attack Speed: 0.632 (+0.012 per level)
Health: 370 (+74 per level)
Mana: 264 (+71 per level)
Move Speed: 305
Armor: 12 (+2.6 per level)
Magic Resistance: 30
Health Regen: 1.0 (+0.15 per level)
Mana Regen: 1.3 (+0.2 per level)
Range: 500

Passive: Orb of Sorcery - Orion's spells penetrate 10% of the enemy's magic resistance.
(It was originally going to be +5% AP but at 500 AP, that would yield 25 AP. Seemed useless, and magic penetration scales amazingly well.)

Q: Shine Blast - Targets a location as the orb charges for one second, before Orion fires an incredibly fast beam of light to the location. The beam causes damage to every enemy it passes through, and causes a small explosion at the target location for additional damage.
Beam Damage: 20/40/60/80/100 (+0.2 AP)
Explosion Damage: 50/90/130/170/210 (+0.55 AP)
Beam Width: 100
Explosion AoE: 200
Beam Speed: 1000
Range: 950
Mana Cost: 80/90/100/110/120
Cooldown: 9 seconds
(You cannot tell me this is not the most awesome Q ever. Exploding beams of light. Seriously. It's a skillshot that allows for good harassment. The ratios are low-ish due to the two-part setup of the damage.)

W: Sphere Arrow - Channels for 2 seconds, creating orbs of light during the channel. The orbs slowly home in on the closest enemy champion for 1.5 seconds, before pausing for .5 seconds. After pausing, the orbs transform into piercing beams that are aimed at the champion's current location, doing damage to any champion it hits. Orbs do not seek out champions that are not visible.
Damage: 30 (+0.4 AP)
Amount of Orbs Created: 3/4/5/6/7
Range of Beam: 600
Beam Speed: 500
Mana Cost: 85/95/105/115/125
Cooldown: 15 seconds
(This was the first skill I thought of. It's not quite a skillshot, but if the enemy is constantly moving, it means they're not attacking. The low damage is because each beam's damage can quickly add up, and its rather indiscriminate nature means it's far too easy to grab polykills if the damage is too high.)

E: Raze - For the next three seconds, a beam of light so hot it causes flames follows the cursor around. Enemies caught at the end of the beam take continual damage and have their magic resistance dropped.
Damage: 25/50/75/100/125 per second (Damage is dealt over three ticks for each second.)
Magic Resist Decrease: 1/1.5/2/2.5/3 (per tick, so a total of 9 at level 1 and 27 at level 5)
Duration of Debuff: 5 seconds after last stack has been applied.
Radius: 150
Beam Speed: 500
Range: 700
Mana Cost: 90
Cooldown: 12 seconds
(At this point I'm operating on Rule Of Cool. Besides giving him some benefit to his team beyond straight damage, it's innovative and helps set up his other spells. Also, it makes trying to dodge his W lots of fun.)

R: Devastate - Orion's orb is charged with as much power as he can muster, causing all of his spells to do more damage and slow the movement speed of targets struck due to the sheer power of his spells. Lasts for ten seconds.
Damage Increase: 10%/15%/20%
Slow: 10%/15%/20%
Mana Cost: 200
Cooldown: 60 seconds
(With three damage dealing spells, there's no need for an ultimate that does even more ridiculous damage on top of that. The slow allows Orion's player a little more leniency with the spells while not being overbearingly powerful, and the short cooldown encourages constant use.)

In short, Orion is a mage focused almost exclusively on skillshots that can inflict massive damage when used correctly. In exchange, good dodging skills render him almost entirely ineffective, he has no escape skills, and fairly lengthy cooldowns, demanding a high level of skill to be successful.

As always, your commentary, criticism, and analyses are greatly appreciated.

Xidphel

07-23-2011

Beam spam?
Playing with fire?
For massive damage?

WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S NOT AWESOME?!

JacobianMatrix

10-04-2011

All righty.

I like where you were coming from when you thought of this guy, definitely has a lot of potential. His mechanics seem simple enough to not have a learning curve that looks like a square wave.

Base stats seem appropriate, squishy as all hell though. Give him...20 more base health maybe.

Passive: free magic pen. Don't know how I feel about that balance wise.

Q: How easily do you want people to juke this ability? As it stands, its slower than most skillshots if I'm not mistaken. The numbers dont scream OP as they stand. The cooldown.....you might be able to get away with 8 seconds. Mana cost seems appropriate.

W: I want you to think about this one for a second. Dont get me wrong, its a hilarious looking ability, and most likely a lot of fun. Late game, an AP carry will realistically have in excess of 500 AP. So 5 ranks means 7 orbs, each of which does >= 230 damage. 0.5 seconds is not a lot of time to react, much less physically move out of the way, so its flash or take >= 920 magic damage (assuming that 4 or more beams hit you). And you do this every 15 seconds. Seems a bit strong. Just my two cents.

E: Clarify this ability. Right now it appears to be a 700 long beam that you move around at will. If thats exactly what it is, than its fine. If not, its actually a bit UP.

R: He is Ryze....except Lazers......not sure how I feel about that.

Just a few things to think about. Nothing glaring.

Echoing

10-04-2011

Huzzah. Feedback.

I don't feel 10% is that big a deal. You get more from having 9 points in the Offense tree.

1000 is fairly slow given how fast Resolute Smite is. I may need to upgrade this.

I understand your concerns. Now think about this - each orb blatantly follows the target, and the laser it eventually turns into moves relatively slow. Getting hit by it means you're beyond bad at dodging skillshots - this is ridiculously easy to dodge, because so long as you're moving, the lasers can't possibly hit you since they fire at your last location unless you're right next to it (in which case, you have bigger problems). I may tone the ratio down a bit, but the general idea is sound simply because of how easy it is to dodge.

It's a giant beam you move at will. Nuff said.

Yeah the ult could be better, but eh.

Thanks for your feedback.

JacobianMatrix

10-04-2011

Quote:
Echoing:

I understand your concerns. Now think about this - each orb blatantly follows the target, and the laser it eventually turns into moves relatively slow. Getting hit by it means you're beyond bad at dodging skillshots - this is ridiculously easy to dodge, because so long as you're moving, the lasers can't possibly hit you since they fire at your last location unless you're right next to it (in which case, you have bigger problems).

Well this brings up another point; how fast are the orbs? I read the skill thinking that both the orbs and the lasers they fire move at 500 speed......which means they are on top of you all of the time unless you are Rammus powerball - ing away or Yi Highlander - ing out of the park.

Echoing

10-04-2011

I should have specified the orb speed. 150 sounds about right to me.

I'll need to update this champion later.

Frillz

10-04-2011

The R seems a little long for my tastes. Other than that, looks pretty fun.

Dokueki Kenshin

12-23-2011

Hmm... I'm liking this champion, though I do have two main concerns.

My first concern is about your passive. Honestly, I feel that you actually were a bit harsh on the amount of magic penetration you gave him. You could have it scale like most passives; I'd say start it out at 5%, scale to 10% at level 8, and max out at 15% at level 16 (or possibly just scale them with your ulti, as I'm not sure how some of the passives scale). It wouldn't be too unbalanced IMO going that route.

Secondly, your W and E have kinda short ranges, especially for a mage champion. Try boosting both up by 100 and see what you get.

VmasterVader

10-29-2012

Passive 10% seems little weak would go 15% or 20%
Q good, like it
W the channel time is long and if they react they will either stun you, or just get out of range of the spell. On top of that at lvl 5 just in this skill alone you have 2.8 AP ratio given all 7 balls hit. That is the about the AP ratio that Viegar has on his whole combo. So really OP.
E has no scaling... kinda worthless late game
R ult is pretty strong, but with the CD on all the spell you can only get one full rotation of spells in ult. So seems kinda a waste.