Pantheon: AP vs. AD?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HolyJalapenos

08-08-2011

Hey, so I'm ~300 IP away from buying Pantheon, and I've seen both as successful builds (AP & AD), but I'm wondering which one would be better in certain areas or just overall? Mainly in these categories:

Ganking: -
Staying in Lane: -
Early Game: -
Mid Game: -
Late Game: -
Supporting other Champions: -
Running Away: -

^ Choose AP or AD, thanks. c:

P.S: I'm not sure if this was the right section for this post, but I didn't really think it'd fit anywhere else... :P

Cenerae

08-08-2011

AP Pantheon is a troll build.

So the answer is AD.

Zyren

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-08-2011

AP is a troll build. AD is normal and makes more sense.

Ganking: AD
Staying in Lane: AD
Early Game: AD
Mid Game: AD
Late Game: AD
Supporting other Champions: Neither? Supporting by being a threat: AD
Running Away: Same as supporting...

Until tomorrow's patch, Pantheon is (and should still be) thought of as a Physical Mage. After the patch, he'll be more of a Physical Mage DPS (emphasis on DPS, with the changes to his E).

What this means is you want to focus on these stats...

Offensive: AD, Armor Penetration, and CDR
Defensive (as needed): Health, Armor, MR

A semi-typical build for Pantheon would probably include:

Boots (Mercs most of the time, although if they lack CC get Ionian or Ninja Tabi as needed)
Ghostblade
Trinity Force

Meanwhile, your defensive options are dependent on what you're up against.

Need Health? Maybe try Warmog's/Atma's or a Frozen Mallet
Need Armor? Atma's and Randuin's
Need MR? Banshee's Veil, Hexdrinker, and FoN
Enemy team has Morde/Vlad/Malz/WW? Get a Quicksilver Sash

Need some just straight damage? Bloodthirster, Last Whisper, and Atma's Impaler. After the patch, Infinity's Edge might be decent as well (since his Q will crit when enemy hp is < 15%).

LostMyMind

08-08-2011

I wonder what you think is pantheons role. I can only think of solo top? but for some reason i don't think he's good enough to match some of the more popular choices.

I've seen some old threads about pantheon jungle, does that still work? At least I imagine it should especially if they make his e more spammable

any other ideas? I loved playing him in free week

HolyJalapenos

08-08-2011

Alright, thanks. I didn't know, but you guys cleared it up. o:

Zyren

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-08-2011

After the patch, we'll see if jungle pantheon becomes popular. He doesn't need to jungle though.

I'd say he's a combination of an anti-carry and physical damage mage. He's actually really good solo lane, mainly against auto-attack champs. He especially dominates most ranged ad carries.

However, Pantheon is also a potent duo-laner. Put him with Taric or Sion for double stun goodness. Put him with Janna for a super spear and a knock-up. Put him with Garen or some other high-output damage champion for lots of threatening damage, and probably lots of kills.

EchoRex

08-08-2011

AP is a troll build used for LB procs and "OH GOD THE WORLD IS ENDING" Skyfall drops.

While funny as hell when you DO land a Skyfall, it just doesn't play as well as AD.

Severla

08-09-2011

If they had ever made his spearshot proc on-hit effects, I'd have played him AP.

BUT, they didnt.

DarkenDragon

08-09-2011

....... I always thought pant's abilities scalled with his AD >.> but then again I havnt played in quite a while, so what do I know

ninjafog

08-09-2011

ad all the way. also just to make it clear, if you really need more def, do NOT buy warmogs.. instead get Frozen Mallet, it cost less, takes less time to build completely, and works better with pantheon overall