LF Janna Ultimate Advice

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Daythyme

07-22-2011

When she uses her ultimate to knock enemys away, I realize now, you have to stand there for 4 seconds to get the full effect of the healing aura.
I have been using it as an escape, and have been patronized about only letting my aura last for 1 second (because I'm running like hell after I cast it)
Am I being too cautious? Should I save it for team fights?
I feel like they are just going to run in again and beat me up.
I suppose I am just looking for good scenario advice to use it.

Turney

07-22-2011

You can use it to seperate one or two from the group during a team fight / push people into the turret.

Chazer

07-22-2011

As long as you aren't wasting your ultimate when the same effectiveness can be gotten from a quick casted tornado. Using it as a 2nd escape ability is fine, a lot of champions have closer abilities that they will use as soon as they land from the toss. The time they are disabled from being thrown give you time to create a gap and let cooldowns cycle.

Jairoe

07-22-2011

I wouldn't judge you for not channeling it because sometimes you just can't afford to sit there and the push is as valuable as the heal. Sometimes you need it mainly for the push, other times for the heal, sometimes both. Again, Janna doesn't have all the time in the world always since Support generally become public enemy number 1 especially after you set your ult off and you aren't necessarily the most durable either. People that want to hassle you over it obviously have not had to play her before or support champions in general. As long as you save lives with it, its worth it, make people realize 4 seconds is quite a bit of time to sit there and channel for not as much health as you can shield for thats for sure despite it being AoE. The heal is rarely ideal since your team isn't always sitting still for 4 seconds either.

LancerXXX

07-23-2011

I usually only channel the heal when I have nothing else to do eg. my HP is low, along with an ally, but our MP is high, so I ulti so we don't need to recall (laning phase) or when the teamfight just ended, we won, there's someone getting away and it's impossible for me to catch up to them.

countbaronvnduke

07-23-2011

In my opinion, the optimal time to use the ulti is when you can throw a couple of members of their team (namely carries) into your team, and the rest away from your team. if you can separate their carries from their tank and support, you should win the team fight. in this situation you don't want to channel it at all, just get in there and help your team, or even bait the rest of the team away from the fight. often, bad players will just chase the support down, and as janna, you are hard to catch between your high move speed and tornadoes. alternatively, If you can use it to save your team. blow away chasers, and depending on the circumstances, you immediatly start running, or if you don't think the team can make it, you do the support thing and throw yourself under the wheels. you can let it channel and hang back, making yourself a tempting meal for those greedy chasers. often times you can even get away with some tricky juking and flash over a wall.

all of that is assuming you have a group of players that understand what you're doing. I've gotten raged at for intentional feeding several times by staying back to die so i could save a carry or two. Its happened enough that I only play janna when in 3+ que, which is probably preferrable anyway. you want to be able to trust your carry to accept your babysitting. and if it doesn't go well, you at least have someone to yell at

SHREK lS LlFE

07-23-2011

I'm a very good janna player, and I quick cast her ult, cancel it and run a LOT.
BUT janna is an extremely elusive champion. If you are doing this every time you get caught or jumped to or attacked, you are over doing it. She can W+E herself+Q someone and get away 95% of the time without ulting.
But yes I do it when my team is retreating from a fight and getting chased to make them back off, or to inturupt spike damage on a certain teammate (pushing annie away mid combo usually lets the person run to safety) The heal is small anyway when you go support janna so dont listen to others.

I R Orc Peon

07-23-2011

I find that even when you get in a good position to throw the enemy back towards your team, it tends to thrown them too far, overshooting the allies running in, putting them at a greater distance than they started at... That can be a problem if the enemy has the option of continuing to run in that direction instead of past your team again.