Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Are you satisfied with Riot?

Yes I am satisfied. 2898 23.07%
Somewhat Satisfied. 4025 32.04%
Somewhat Dissatisfied. 2720 21.65%
No I am not Satisfied. 2303 18.33%
Here just to troll statistics. 617 4.91%
Voters 12563 .

Are you satisfied with Riot currently?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tisaric

Recruiter

07-22-2011

I've always been satisfied with Riot, and probably will, seeing as they control their servers and such better than most MMOs I've played. (I'm looking at you, Maplestory). Not to mention they are the most talkative staff on an MMO I've played on as well, not only in informational posts, but also in community posts, just to try to connect with the community even better.

I think those who are disappointed in Riot are too used to other company's way of announcing content, and apply that company's way to Riot. We all know and hate the "soon" of Riot, but at least they want to make sure it's perfect before releasing it to the public.

doncheetle

07-22-2011

I'm satisfied with Riot as a company and with how they're handling the problems they've faced. I keep seeing people whine about broken promises by Riot and it's really confusing to me to be honest. I've seen products see massive delays many times without any hope of the product even getting released.

Yes I understand, that people *want* new maps and they did mention that they're working on it. I think that's more of a mistake that Riot made early on by saying too much. I'm sure that at the time it looked like they could make it happen however, software development time lines get bumped back almost every day. That's just part of development. I agree that it seems like they have way too much on their plate at this point in time and that they should probably rethink the release a new champ every 2 weeks plan because that's definitely going to leave us with serious bloat down the road you can only have 10 champions in a game after all.

Sure it was disappointing that the servers went down. **** happens. I'm sure that your IT staff where you work (if you are employed) freak out pretty bad if there is a major server/network outage and I'm fairly certain that you guys don't get to mouth of nearly as much about that happening. It happens they reacted swiftly (it was swift even if you don't want to believe it) unfortunately things take time and I'm not going to hold that against them.

The rate of IP gain does concern me as it seems to take forever to build up to 6300 IP but, it's also not that huge of a problem. If my impatient self can't wait to save 6300 IP I can just buy it with RP.

Overall I believe they're doing a good job. Perfection is never truly attained.

Atolian

07-22-2011

Honestly would be perfectly happy if not for server stability

Behabe

07-22-2011

i want more maps!!!
im getting bored D;

Koraq

07-22-2011

Somewhat satisfied.

I really love this game, I think they do an excellent job with balance, and I know they're trying their hardest to maintain server stability.

But there's two things that irritate me. "Soon" and when RIOT conveniently forgets that they've used that word. Or deletes the post they used it in.

Especially when all of the above are combined.

Example: "We greatly value our loyal players and will have more info on this soon."

Then the thread is locked to keep it from being necro'd again to remind players about that whole issue. I could care less that I didn't get 'free stuffz'; the issue is that your company made several posts stating that this would be made right and then it never was. At one point, a post was made stating that things would be made right, the thread locked to avoid it being quoted, the post deleted, and then the thread re-opened.

L1ONHEART

07-22-2011

I voted somewhat dissatisfied, and here is why:

Staffing Needs

One of the things that really frustrates me is we, as players, commonly read that Riot has different departments, and the champion design department is separate from other departments; thus, ceasing the constant release of new champions would not improve other areas. I disagree with that statement not on a factual basis, but on principle. Riot should be more willing to train its current employees on the champion design team to specialize or contribute to other areas with needs. In the legal context (which is what I do right now), if there is a demand in another department, you either move to that department, learn to blend your expertise between both departments, or become unemployed. Riot needs to be more dynamic with its current employees. At some point, releasing a new champion every two to three weeks will become unsustainable, if it isn't already. I think the current number of champions that are ignored or underplayed is proof of that--see, for example:

Quote:
Shurelia:
We have a list of characters that we would like to change... for reference:

12 Champions are considered overpowered
23 Champions are considered underpowered

Some day, when all the open hiring positions Riot has are filled, maybe then it can afford to specialize to the degree it represents now. But with the current demands and limited staff, it would behoove Riot to start training its employees to diversify themselves between multiple departments. I'm not saying a programmer should become an engineer (that's absurd), but I am saying there should be more blending within the appropriate departments.

Prices

Riot is a for-profit business, and I expect it to aim for profit. But as others have pointed out, the prices for new champions, and especially for skins, is quite high. I don't think I have ever spent as much money on a game as I have on League of Legends. Riot has a smart business model, but its prices are very arbitrary. You find skins like Annie's Frostfire skin that involve dramatic changes to her appearance and spell casting actually costing less than her legendary skin which has very minor changes but twice the price tag. Champion pricing is a complete mystery to me, other than I see older champions slowly dropping in price. It all seems very arbitrary, and it would be nice if there was more of a method to the pricing madness.

Balance

I don't have a solution for how to balance a game like this. Previously, I volunteered as an Administrator for Storm of the Imperial Sanctum (StarCraft 2's currently popular DotA custom--not to be confused with Blizzard DOTA). In that position, I was responsible for, among other things, competitive play and balance issues. Thus, I completely understand how difficult it is to balance a game of this genre, and I will be the first to admit that I have not figured out any one method to successfully do it. That said, it's absolutely frustrating to see so many champions ignored patch after patch after patch, or to see champions nerfed into uselessness as a "temporary fix" until Riot has time to address their core problems. The constant release of new heroes every few weeks only amplifies the problem, and while I am all for new heroes, I can't help but feel that the rate at which they release needs to be slowed. Riot has admitted, whether intentionally or otherwise, that there are at least thirty-five champions that need some type of adjustment. That is a large percentage of your current champion base, and I see that taking priority over new champion releases.

Professionalism

Riot is normally pretty good in this category. Most employees know how to dance the fine line between professionalism and being personable; however, there are some who don't. I understand the motto of we are people first, gamers second, and employees third... but, think about how that looks to your customers? When I pay money, I don't want to hear that I am third on the priority list of the people whose salaries I help support. I don't want to ruin the gaming experience for any Riot employee, and I don't want them to go into work feeling as though they can't voice their opinions. But, at some point, there is a certain level of professionalism that needs to be the floor for how you post as an employee. I don't find it particularly troublesome if a Riot employee wants to create a non-red account and post their opinion (although your company's policies may say otherwise), but I do find it problematic when you post as an official employee of Riot and you are doing so unprofessionally (and I'm using the term loosely at this point).

The Good Stuff

I'll close with what I feel is being done right, so that my "somewhat dissatisfied" answer actually makes sense. I like that Riot employees constantly reach out to their player base. Aside from some of the professional issues I wrote about, Riot employees are typically very responsive to small requests such as 1,000th win games and player support tickets. It is the small things that can often go a long way for players (and customers, which many players are also). Further, I enjoy that Riot patches every two weeks, typically with at least some balance changes. Waiting months for large patches would be undesirable, and the consistency of updates (which sometimes, admittedly, varies in actual consistency) is something I particularly enjoy as a customer. I also greatly appreciate the daily announcements on the forums. More than anything, I appreciate the effort Riot is making as a young company to meet all of the demands from its customers. Certainly, Riot has a very long way to go, but I think the effort truly helps keep me around as a customer.

I don't know if this was helpful, but it was certainly enjoyable to write. Now, I hope Riot was being serious when it said these posts get read because this took a bit of time to write (here's looking at you, RiotMontag).

P.S. - Say, does Tryndamere still read threads? I haven't seen a post from him in a while. Just curious. That's another thing I enjoy--that Riot's President actually posts in the community forums, albeit on rare occasions.

ArchDukeCran

07-22-2011

i'd like stabler server, that's my only real issue

and not to be Alistat-Pooped when there is an issue and told it's something else it obviously isn't

oh, and to keep to your schedule, you schedule a release tuesday, wait nope... thursday now, upp... saturday... nmv next week sometime...
the work should be done far in advance and tested for bugs long before its scheduled to be out... not, k, were done monday around noon, we'll release it tuesday morning, let's hope all goes well
example: dreamhack/yorick fiasco

Mogangsta

07-22-2011

Love the gameplay. Love the Champs and lore.
Hate playing on the same map eveery freakin game.

KnuckleChildren

07-22-2011

The server status lately has been disappointing, but I know they're working on it. With the growth they've had over the last year, it's not hard to understand how they can have these hiccups along the way. As long as they keep hiring and keep working on server stability, I'm satisfied with my overall LOL experience.

Kitchoua Tembo

07-22-2011

Quote:
CookiesNinja:
I'm very satisfied of Riot Games.
If you see other F2P who are known, it's not common to see a company who is so implicated with his community. They talk alot with people (@RiotRara,Montag, and others people) and answer as most as they can to questions. They could let us talk alone, but they don't. They take their time (Sometimes when they wake up, when they work at Riot HQ, and sometimes after work) to only talk with us. I think it's incredible they talk with so passion and they are very friendly with us when we ask us questions. I will take an exemple of someone who is trying to get hired and work at Riot Games. I don't remember his name, but he helps him and give advices. Instead of being developers, they are dedicated to the community and try making the best game possible also. It's hard to do these twice things in the same time.

We all know the problems about servers problems. We all know how it can be frustating when we can't play our game we would love to play. It's also hard to them to see people who can't play (Remember they can't play also ), but they don't panic, they are always calm and friendly, and try to fix issues fastest as they can. As I'm a little developer, I can't imagine all the things they need to adjust to make LoL functional. And I understand when they say they had an bug server. Because it's an issue who comes from an huge network.

The game himself is also interesting. They try to make a cool and competitive game, for all of us. There is also those who complain about what they think it's too cheated or not enough. Riot doesn't make content to see it forget. As a Rioter said, they try to remake all the old characters (Like Alistar, Shen ...) to keep them the funniest as they can.

I think Riot is a very good company. It's rare to see a good company like that. They are always players who cry about Riot decisions. There will always be. There will be always people who doesn't like decisions of a developer company. But they got their reasons: maybe it's not funny for others players (I mean, an enemy for example who get killed because of an OP champ), maybe it's not their original wish for an idea (Like a deleted character, i seen alot of Avasha thread these days). But they got always a good reason as developers they are, to change it.

I really like Riot Games, as a gamer, and as a delevoper PoV. That's my very big opinion post about Riot. I said it.

PS: Brolaf for life.

I love them too, never seen a company so involved, but I think most people will say they are dissatisfied for what they are doing ?now?. Champions are always late, we have almost no update, servers are always down and nobody telling us what is going on.

Yeah it happens with every gaming company, but it seems we got better stuff before. Maybe it's just... summer?