How to play Amumu while your team is on the defense/losing?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sandling

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2011

Hello everyone,

I'm a regular solo 5 vs 5 solo queue Amumu player (who recently got back into LoL after a long hiatus) and I've kind of been bothered noticing a certain pattern in my matches, that I am not sure is based on pure coincidence:

When our team seems to cooperate and communicate well, and when we're on the winning side, playing a tank Amumu (armour stacking) as initiator, setting up trap situations etc seems to pay off well and usually makes for quite an important role in the teamplay to achieve victory and/or general success.

When our team sadly is crumbling apart a lot, and we are quite overwhelmed, I often really feel like the weakest link in our team, the general punching bag and notice that there's not a whole lot I can do to escape from ending up getting the most losses most of the time. I indeed play armourstacking still, which usually doesn't seem to help at all (especially not after having fallen into the vicious circle of falling behind a bit XP wise or money wise). And trying to contribute in initiating simply doesn't seem to achieve much other then getting myself killed.

For any other Amumu players, or players perhaps familiar with this problem, what would be the general advise/tactic/strategy to play with Amumu under these circumstances.

Shatterlight

01-23-2011

Fully committing to a fight when the other team is fed or your own teammates don't understand teamwork usually will end in the tanks dying. Amumu doesn't really have a harass of any sort, and kindof has to initiate and commit :P

I don't play him very often because I don't trust my teammates generally. I'm not quite sure what you should do at all :P All I know is initiating when your team isn't confident/smart will end badly for you, and consequently your team.

Perhaps just hug your tower and ultimate them under it just as you hit Fortify (with mastery)? I dunno if you use Fortify, few people seem to.

Thats all I can think of, sorry

NickPham

01-23-2011

All you can really do when you're losing is dance around with your team for an advantage. When something goes down, just stun ult and pray.

Magnus BigBang

01-23-2011

youre ****ing amumu, people run from YOU not the other way around (sad aint it? dam irony)

NinetyNineTails

01-23-2011

I've played a lot of Amumu and I know exactly what you're talking about. Sadly, I think Khimaera is basically correct. Amumu has two modes, waiting to initiate on the one hand and 'do or die' on the other. If your team isn't in synch with your timing or fails at LoL and can't kill anybody on the enemy team, then not only are you going to lose, you as Amumu are going to look like a chump in the process. It helps to have a good degree of self-confidence in one's Amumu play. It helps you get past the times that you're 2/8/3 and leading a bad team in deaths. You'll get accused of feeding, but at least you can be sure that that isn't true.

Shatterlight

01-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyNineTails View Post
Sadly, I think Khimaera is basically correct.
I...I am?

After a daylong losing streak due to feeders/leavers/Caitlyns, thats exactly what I needed to hear

Shame I had to be correct about such a joyless thing, though.

Istanur

01-23-2011

Well, Amumu is a tank for overconfident players. Your ultimate just keeps the enemy in place. They can still cast abilities and destroy your team as if you never even ultimated because the damage is unnoticable. What Amumu does, is he forces the other team to fight yours and shuts down their dps for a mere two seconds which, with the new caster metagame is quite useless.

He is also nerfed in the jungle, as if he wasn't bad enough. So yeah if you the top four players on your team look like very strong picks you can go Amumu and hope your predictions were right. If not, use a tank that can actually shut down the enemy like Rammus, Shen, Galio...

Luthien Kess

01-23-2011

^
What he actually said
"Amumu is weak he just initiates and then the enemy team ignores him while they nuke your damage dealers down you should play a tank with more damage/taunt/butt-saving ability so you tank better."

What I think would be a better way to say is
"Amumu is incredibly team dependent, as ultimately (hah, pun) all he does is give your team 1.5 seconds to to rape the other team before standing around crying the tanks hp down, and if your team can't capitalize on that, you really don't bring anything to the table. If you constantly solo que, perhaps a better choice would be a tank with a bit more carry-ish ability, such as Rammus or Shen (I totally disagree about Galio though... insert Malph instead)

Istanur

01-24-2011

Well, Galio's ultimate is a taunt, therefore it shuts down casters as well as dps's. Amumu only shuts down DPS's that are completely reliant on auto attacking.

StrongGuy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-24-2011

yea hes pretty team dependant, unless you stack AP he cant really do too much to change the tides