How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

lc3rav3n

03-29-2010

I personally feel the system is perfect as is. The easy heroes are free more often for the beginners and the hard, expensive heroes are occasionally free to show the experienced player what it is like to be him so they know whether they want to purchase.

Gazouille

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-31-2010

and of course, Rule #0 : 80%-90% of the free to play champs have to be ones already included in the CE.

JDMC

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-31-2010

I believe in upcoming weeks you should make Gragas, Nidalee, and Mordekaiser available for trial. For people who have purchased the game and the heroes pack, it's nice to be able to play the heroes we haven't earned yet.

Manuki

03-31-2010

Will Shaco's deceive + crit be debugged before he's free?

Sorry if it has already been aswered..

jjfmarine

04-03-2010

So far im really impressed with this game. I hope you guys do not listen to people here urging to make things free; I think the progressive and/or payment system to get Champions is good and I am sure it is good for your business.

If anything I would suggest a more aggressive system towards players prematurely leaving games or just leaving them in general. Nobody likes leavers, it ruins the game for the nine other players in the game.

IeatHobos

04-03-2010

Is there a pattern to choosing free champs..? Lately i've been seeing stuff like 6300 champs and 3-2 450 etc...

orcrist

04-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
What pattern would you like to see? We're always open to constructive feedback.

We listen to player feedback on Champions to make free, and we introduce new Champions on a regular basis. Those two factors make it hard to have a set rotation that repeats every 8 weeks or so (which is I assume what you're implying about a pattern).

- RiotChris
you could put in champs that dont get played often just a suggestion

Summoner Fred

04-08-2010

ryze is being free to often ryze is due to be free again on week 21 when he was just free on week 19... show some variaty im sick of playing against a ryze every game i play from week 19 now im going to have to deal with it again on week 21

RiotChris

Director of Publishing

04-08-2010
3 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggz View Post
Hello Chris, i like the way you've addressed the issue and how your telling us your open to feedback, in my personal experience most game Devs. couldn't give a rat's arse, here hoping LoL is any different. I suggest a system more or less like this; By the looks of it, you choose 2 Tanks, 2 Support, 2 Ranged dps, and 2 Melee dps. You would organise all of the champs, into one of these 4 catergories, and then each week randomly select 2 champions from each catorgory. Once champions have been selected they are removed from selection untill all of the champions(in the same catergory) have been selected, this way:

All of the champs are included.
Resulting in less "qq gief this champ, x and y are free champions all the time"

I feel this is more or less a solution to the problem at hand, and leaves everyone knowing that their champ will come eventually be it at the start or end of the cycle.

If catergories have odd number of champions, ie. ending up with 1 champion left and unable to pick 2(due to one being removed) This can be easily sorted by having the cycle to reset and picking the second champion from the reset cycle. for eg. Amumu is the last champion left in the tank catergory, The tank cycle resets, and Alistar is chosen, Alistar will be removed from the cycle however Amumu will not. I'm not sure if this is all that understandable, but i'm sure grasping the concepts could help the free champion rotation.

/Giggz

PS: I'm posting from Europe, so these are not my home forums, but i post every now and again to make some decent contribution to the game. Both sides of the pond.
Good suggestions Giggz (and welcome to the US forums). However, some of the Champions have positive or negative synergies across types. For instance, if we made Twitch and Shaco free the same week, it would be stealth-city. Or what about Ryze, Morgana, Blitzcrank and Malphite - that would be stun-ville (but they're all different types). That could happen coincidentally if we used lists of types, so I like the personally-tweaked rotations rather than automatic (and then we can listen to player requests). It also ensures that we have enough easy Champions in the rotations - our #1 goal.

- RiotChris

Zhole

04-09-2010

I think you at RIOT are making the champion selections perfectly. Kinda. You do get a bit bored when you haven't got any IP and the champion you want to play isn't free and isn't going to be for like 2 more weeks but that's pretty difficult to fix since different people like different champions.

Making champions available the first week is bad (Both for you since less ca$h and for players looking for fun) but don't wait more than 2 weeks please =). Great job guys!