My Ranked Solo Queue Saga (I need help)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Myslead

06-09-2011

Game #12 (Malphite / Victory / 66W - 74L / 1086 +14)
http://i.imgur.com/TV8a2.jpg

We are back on track ! I had some problems with my FPS with my new stream going up. But everything was going as intended, we had map control with wards, Shaco was just outstanding at his job, seriously one of the best I've seen so far. Vlad had a tough early game vs Akali, but we worked around it pretty nicely and shut her down. For once, I have to say that I was impressed by the actual teamwork my team had.

Also, I've just realized how much I've been making up for my terrible early week gaming as I haven't lost alot of games since I've started this thing !

Myslead

06-09-2011

Game #13 (Anivia / Victory / 67W - 74L / 1099 +13)
http://i.imgur.com/eeTiG.jpg

Bad early game, I laned with Galio and he kept aoe last hitting everything with his Resolute Smite ability... which was reaaaaaaally annoying, pushing the lane and keeping me from farming which made me QQ. I had a terrible time early/mid game due to being picked off easily since I had no item, but I was catching up near the end of the game, but they surrendered.

Myslead

06-09-2011

Game #14 (Warwick / Victory / 68W - 74L / 1112 +13)
http://i.imgur.com/5bjQX.jpg

Was sort of afraid when I started this game as the Teemo said he'd troll and feed if he didn't get Vayne which he didn't... but he ended up doing his part. As for myself, I had a slow game, being careful for them Shaco ganks. Didn't rack up alot of kills, but I caught alot of people out of position with my R which promptly made my team burst them down which gave us an early lead in kills and snowballed to victory.

Gunflame

06-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenanigan5 View Post
Oh, quite the constructive post. Thank you for your input, I'll make sure I come to you every time I need advice from some of the top tier players. Thanks.

Seriously, other people here have actually been quite helpful to my friend here, how about you try to keep it a bit classy, eh?

Edit: As for everyone else, wonderful advice, I'm actually surprised at some of the advice he has received from some of you. It's always good to see some friendly players helping a friend.
While very unpolite... I share his sentiment... it is really annoying to see all these people claiming they are higher elo and talking about Elo hell. Specially HoN players who believe they are "above everyone else because of HoN".

I'm more like a 1350-1400 elo range. But when I fool around (and I fool around a lot) my Elo drops like a rock... which I seriously don't mind or complain about... I know it will drop and I just try to play my best, If I feel it is too low I start boosting out the BIG GUNS of my arsenal to bring it up. Remember only 1 out of 4 or so players are over 1200 elo... and I see one example after the other were people "believe" they are better than they truly are.

Gunflame

06-10-2011

A few more things Myslead:

- A bad score is only bad if you feel you didn't live up to the expectations. This is with reference to the 1/5/9 score on Blitz. To me it looks like a really good score... why? because the carries didn't die and you got a victory.

- You shouldn't feel down or bad for a loss after a winning... Why? because YOU HAVE TO LOSE... you know you are not the best player.. and EVEN the best player will lose some games. Losing allows you to play catch up and reevaluate your mistakes. People don't notice their mistakes if they win... they only notice them if they lose a game. Even if 2 of your allies were completely useless the question is... what could you have done to carry them better? maybe more wards? maybe a lane switch?. Just rermember about our game with Nunu and you will understand. I do congratulate you for using the word "outmatched". Because thatīs how you should think about games one team outmatches the other it happens, and move on to the next game.

- Don't stop posting the summaries. This thread will help YOU believe or not... It doesn't really have anything to do with the advice... just the fact that you stop for a second to review your game will get your brain thinking about mistakes or clever tricks that you learnt from your game.

- Laning with Galio = big no no... I used to play Galio before and he is a money hugger... just like Mordekaiser.. just like Chogath. They just love getting all they minions for themselves. No sharing allowed. Even good Galios that do NOT keep their lane push will make you starve for gold. I know I would Anivia also needs a asolo lane because she is a carry AP champ and have horrible early game farming abilities. I used to main both Anivia and Galio.

- 266 Minions annie and 256 minions teemo on a 36 min game? Geez!!!! I had 228 in a 42 min game... though I had 5 tower kills - godly Cho - thatīs just evil

-

Myslead

06-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunflame View Post
- A bad score is only bad if you feel you didn't live up to the expectations. This is with reference to the 1/5/9 score on Blitz. To me it looks like a really good score... why? because the carries didn't die and you got a victory.
I agree, but I really was not playing on point early game with Blitz, had a couple of deaths I could have dodged, same thing with my Anivia game, I also double laned, because Ashe and Irelia wanted solo, I was just not expecting that Galio to mow down everything ahah, I thought he'd understand I would need the farm, I even asked him during laning phase to slow down and he would just not have it.

I guess that I can understand the feeling of me being obnoxious with my "I'm a HoN player blablalbal", but it was mostly QQ rage from having an enormous losing streak and watching my rating fall below 1000 where I know that I can do better and will do better !

Like I said, I don't have any illusions of grandeur, I don't intend to take on Hotshotgg's Nidalee anytime soon, I still have to find a main, but I'm just trying to raise my solo queue and it's been "hell" really. I'm a good team player, I am, I just have a hard time playing with 4 different strangers every game and come out with a victory (not that I'm saying I need to win every games, but even when I lose, I'd like the game to be a good one and not just a clear pubstomp because some of my teammates just aren't on par) and I am trying to improve on that and I know that I'm not the only one. You find it annoying when players go around and talk about ELO hell and that they don't belong in some bracket, well I find it as annoying when people just reply that it's probably because they suck and their rating is their deserved one when in fact it just isn't because there is so many things to factor in then just yourself as a player when you play in solo queue, so I made this thread and luckily some of you gave me the chance to demonstrate that I am above them 1000 players and been helping me out with my climb out of this said ELO hell. So thank you for all the constructive critism.

I will definitely keep posting my game summaries, I think it helped me alot already even just 14 games in and can also help other people in my situation. I've also realized that some heroes I do well with only if the game goes well, if the game doesn't, I fall into the useless categorie as I just don't know really know how to react to turn the game around, especially with support heroes, if I get a bad lane matchup as let's say Taric or Alistar, a bad game turns into a terrible game.

Myslead

06-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhunter1053 View Post
Honestly, I doubt you'll find many people counter-jungling at that low of an elo, I don't see many people who do it that effectively even at my elo. So if you can get good at it, then you can really dominate a game. Its actually the one thing that I've been working on in the past week or two. A couple things to keep in mind:
Well from what I've seen so far, I haven't seen alot of counter jungling apart maybe from that early blue harassment at the beginning of the games, but I've seen some annoying Nunu / Shaco and even Eve in a couple of my games, even this low as they are very easy to invade the opposite jungle. And like I said in one of my previous post the whole jungling aspect of the game is also some knowledge I need to take in, the junglers routes and neutral camp timer, I have played a game as a jungler in one of my recent game (as Warwick) and while I did good, I didn't really feel comfortable playing him ahah.

godhunter1053

06-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myslead View Post
Well from what I've seen so far, I haven't seen alot of counter jungling apart maybe from that early blue harassment at the beginning of the games, but I've seen some annoying Nunu / Shaco and even Eve in a couple of my games, even this low as they are very easy to invade the opposite jungle. And like I said in one of my previous post the whole jungling aspect of the game is also some knowledge I need to take in, the junglers routes and neutral camp timer, I have played a game as a jungler in one of my recent game (as Warwick) and while I did good, I didn't really feel comfortable playing him ahah.
Yea, I forget about eve. The key to jungling against her is to stay high health. She has no good way to clear camps quickly and should be spending most of her time ganking. Unless she gets very fed, she will be useless late game, so just keep in mind that you only need to stay high health in your jungle and don't give up kills, and you'll beat her. She's also someone who you should love to jungle against, as her jungle control isn't really that strong and she is extremely reliant on teammates cc or red buff to secure her kills, making it very easy to counter her (ward her red, then harass her as she does it/steal it).

Nunu and shaco are the easiest to counter jungle with, as nunu is fast, has a low cooldown true damage nuke to creeps, and a spammable slow, while shaco has a medium cooldown blink + stealth. If you really want to learn to counter jungle, try one of those two champs. They epitomize what you want to be doing as a good jungler. Good ganks, excelent control, strong early game with a later game focused on dragon/baron control and support or assassination, not really dps or nuker.

As for WW, he is one of my favorite junglers, but is honestly one of the weakest in the "strong jungler" category. He doesn't gank well till 6, he doesn't really have a good nuke for counter jungling (ie consume), he doesn't have a steroid (noc q, xin q), he doesn't have aoe (noc q and passive, lee sin e), and he has no CC outside his ult and red buff. Because of that its dangerous to invade your opponents jungle, you have no escapes or really any range.

So why play WW? He has huge sustain, with the right jungle path you can hit 6 without having to base to due to his passive lifesteal and q. He is shockingly difficult to take down 1v1, especially if you level your q, as you'll get a ton of lifesteal from it. He only really needs a bloodrazor to be effective, which is a mid game item if you rush it. But most importantly, he is an amazing teamfighter. A good initiating ult on their carry with your bloodrazor can take them completely out of the fight and give your team a huge advantage. Because he's not item dependent, you can build tanky so that you can survive just sitting in the middle of the other team after your ult and still dealing great damage. Once you get the feel of him, you can literally 1v2 or 3 certain champs and get out fairly easily.

In short, he is a great pick for much the same reason as mumu is a great pick, mid/late game. He isn't who you want to be playing to learn to counter jungle, but he is a good champ to learn your own jungle paths and how to control dragon/get a feel for buff timers and the like.

Myslead

06-10-2011

Yes, I can basically clear my whole jungle with just 1 pot and still come out of it with red buff for a gank attempt. I feel like WW is a 'play it safe' kind of pick even though you need to wait post 6 to really be a force to be reckon with when you gank, at least from my point of view, Nocturne is also another jungler I feel needs his ultimate for an almost certain kill. Although Duskbringer + E can also work pre-6, but I feel like it's always a gamble and rely on some sort of cc from the lane you're trying to gank. A jungler that I'm finding more and more powerful is Xin Zhao, he can close gap very early and does not rely on his ultimate for successful ganks.

Speaking of Nunu, I have a problem playing him, I think I should be playing him more often in normal as I don't think I play him to its full potential when I do, I always feel underwhelm when I play him. I mean, I got my Snowball and then my Bloodlust, but that's it (apart from his ult)... I feel like he needs to rely on his team more than he can duel properly except if overfed or if he's chasing away someone who's not fighting back or just caught with their pants down.

I tried Shaco in normal with my friends the other day, and I feel like he is one of the first hero that I reaaaally have no clue how to play him effectively. Although I've played with some great Shaco in my recent games, so I watched them play a little, but still a bit clueless about that hero. Mumu on the other hand I find to be a very powerful hero, but I have yet to try him in the jungle as I laned most of the times I picked him, but he's always banned in ranked in my ELO bracket. I guess I'll try some jungling normal games in the upcoming days

Zixz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunflame View Post
While very unpolite... I share his sentiment... it is really annoying to see all these people claiming they are higher elo and talking about Elo hell. Specially HoN players who believe they are "above everyone else because of HoN".

I'm more like a 1350-1400 elo range. But when I fool around (and I fool around a lot) my Elo drops like a rock... which I seriously don't mind or complain about... I know it will drop and I just try to play my best, If I feel it is too low I start boosting out the BIG GUNS of my arsenal to bring it up. Remember only 1 out of 4 or so players are over 1200 elo... and I see one example after the other were people "believe" they are better than they truly are.
I understand the opinion, and I agree, the way Myslead had stated it could be easily found annoying to some of the higher leveled LoL players even if he indeed (this is hypothetical) belonged in the 1800-2000 range. And even as someone who played HoN himself and played at a higher level than Myslead, I agree.

It's a different game, you're not gonna switch over and instantly attain a high rating in LoL. Chu did it in a matter of 2 months and I'm sure even with his extreme level of experience he had to take some time to learn the game, and it is the same the other way around. There are different styles in play, the meta is different. Jungling in LoL is a HUGE aspect of the game, where as in HoN or Dota have tri-lanes (I haven't played Dota in ages so that statement could be wrong for all I know, if so, forgive me.)

I understand why people would think coming from HoN would entitle you to a higher rating, but it doesn't. What it does is it gives you a understanding of the basics of how these games work and how to play them (map awareness, situational awareness, positioning, etc.), and the ability to improve yourself and learn the meta, champions, items, etc. in this game as you did in HoN or Dota, but not much more than that.

To you Myslead, as a friend who plays with you, a big thing about your play is you getting frustrated. I play with you enough to notice this. You do it often, and what happens is you start getting mad, and it begins to reflect on your decisions and play in game and it has a snowball effect which makes the match more difficult for you and your team. In all honesty, it is this simple. Calm down. We all get frustrated at things, and sometimes yell even. You've heard me do it before. But you can't get mad and let it impact you.

Take my Vladimir game for example. I had a rough time with Akali once she hit 6. She got the first kill in the lane with absolutely no trade off on my part after using both my summoner spells. Of course I was frustrated about it, but I didn't get mad or panic. I alerted my team that I would need a gank, and stayed calm and safe till then. As you know, it resulted in my recovering very well and we won that game.

Enjoy the wall of text I just wrote~