Amumu: Underplayed or Underpowered?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Probingducky

03-26-2010

Information about the question/my playstyles.

I just started playing this game last week, even though I am an old DotA veteran. I started off with Janna, a decent support class. Got pretty decent with Janna so I was looking for more of a heavy hitter so I bought Anivia (which to me was almost a upgrade from Janna) and fell in love with her/mastered her.

My problem is now Anivia is one of this weeks temporary champions and if someone picks her my team and I get shafted since I havn't done much research on all of the other 45 champions.

So I did a little research and picked some champions that I thought would fit my playstyle, which is pretty balanced between defence and offence while trying to stay with atleast one teammate at all times. (kinda had to untill I learned how to kite well with Anivia, but after that it kinda just stuck with me.)

The 3 champions I researched and liked the best to fit my playstyles were:

• Twisted Fate: Love all of his abilitles but from what I have seen (on opposing teams as well as my own) he can become quite overpowered. I do like a challenge, not a iWin champion.
  • Mordekaiser: Was tempted in buying him, the only problem is my buddy I play with often plays him majority of the time.
  • Amumu: His abilities are pretty interesting for team play and he is a sad mummy, what else could you ask for.
Now the real question for this thread.

Is Amumu underplayed in the LoL community or is he just insanely underpowered that no one wants to play him?

The reason I am asking is he is the only champion I have yet to see on the battlefield.

Thanks in advance,
Probingducky.

HavocReigns

03-26-2010

Underplayed imo, never liked him as a tank but he's really fun (and deadly) as AP

KirbyHero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-26-2010

Yeah amumu is good.

Glacios

03-26-2010

The problem with Amumu is he requires really good team coordination to do well. If you are playing him in a pub game, chances are you are not doing to do so hot.

But if your team has AoE abilities or ults, like teaming him with Fiddlesticks, Ryze, Annie, etc; he can be pretty devastating simply because of his ult.

LoL is too buggy

03-26-2010

He's not a great farmer and other tanks bring more utility most of the time. You have to be really good with Amumu to have more of an impact in the game than say, Alistar - an easy as hell tank to play.

RelaxingBrownies

03-26-2010

hes a little of both, iv'e seen amumu's just rape the other team. But seeing as he relies on his skillshot Q to initiate, its really easy for people to be a bad amumu

Tekman

03-26-2010

ive played like 400 games with amumu, although not since his last buff. i think hes fine. hes not like the best tank but hes good what he does.

Nokturnalpie

03-26-2010

underplayed, hard to master. His stun is a skillshot sorta like blitzcrank. So just like blitz 95% of the playerbase is horrid with him while 5% is insanely good.

Difference between his stun and blitz's pull though naturally is his stun throws him into enemy territory. He can dish out good dmg and built tank can take it decently enough but he really relies on teammates to use his ultimate effectively. Bad teammates = amumu won't shine and probably just die a lot, good teammates = amumu will pwn face.

Zeta

03-26-2010

He's slightly underpowered. It's not his abilities, it's that he has the lowest defensive stats of any traditional tank in the game.

DonJuancho

03-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megling View Post
hes a little of both, iv'e seen amumu's just rape the other team. But seeing as he relies on his skillshot Q to initiate, its really easy for people to be a bad amumu
agreed, that's why i get flash on amumu, to make up for a failed q (sometimes i actually go in flash first, and keep the stun in reserve for nunu / carries).

On topic - Underplayed. Not because of the player who picked amumu, but because of teammates who don't follow-up well when he initiates.