Doran Item Stacking

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Omni

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-19-2011

Ok so call me a whiner or a troll, but doesn't Doran Item Stacking feel like a cheap and easy way to exploit the game? I guess my biggest beef is with the Doran's Ring. I've seen countless Malz, Janna, Ryze and many other AP/CC champs destroy with 3-4 of these early and mid game. They only cost 475 and their really nice buffs stack...I also see a lot of high Elo players stacking Doran's Blade on dps champs too...The shield would probably be the least of my concerns but I think there should be a limit to how many you can buy/stack on all 3 of these, because it's ridiculous how much they pay off for stacking...

3 Stack, Cost 1425 Gold

Doran's Blade x3 = 30 Attack 300 Health 9% LifeSteal

Doran's Ring x3 = 45 Ability Power, 300 Health, 15 Mana Per 5 Sec

Doran's Shield x3 = 30 Armor, 360 Health, 24 Health Per 5 Sec

4 Stack, Cost 1900 Gold

Doran's Blade x4 = 40 Attack 400 Health 12% LifeSteal

Doran's Ring x4 = 60 Ability Power, 400 Health, 20 Mana Per 5 Sec

Doran's Shield x4 = 40 Armor, 480 Health, 32 Health Per 5 Sec

For the Price you pay to stack these, you get a ridiculous advantage and u still have room
for boots and another item or 2 that fits your champion while u continue to own and get more gold, then you start selling these off while you get your final item build going.

I've even tried using this technique so I'm not just saying I've seen it, and I find it ridiculous how well I start doing once I get 3...I don't think it's a fair mechanic thats why i would prefer if doran's turned into other items as opposed to being able to stack them.

Naramiel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

05-19-2011

While it is fairly powerful to stack these early, I'm not sure it's any more extreme an effect than getting one in the first place. One Doran's = early-game power at mid-game cost. Three Doran's = 3x early-game power at 3x mid-game cost. You still face the same issues of not being able to upgrade, and at a time when people are getting their mid-tier items. (I might rather have a Catalyst and change than 3 Doran's items, for example.)

Poppedcollar

05-19-2011

The support your early game and will pay for themselves if you can use them to get fed/increase farm. At the same time, they don't build into anything and eventually must be sold.

They also take up item lots, so when you go to build something bigger, it becomes more all or nothing. For some champs, you'll want 1 slot for boots, 1 for pots, 1 for wards, so you only have 3 left for building. If two slots and doran's, you only have 1 slot for building.

Even with just boots and pots, two doran items only leaves 2 slots for building. Once you build your first item, you have only 1 slot unless of course you stop carrying pots, which is feasible.

I think they are pretty good the way they are. Stronger than buying equivalent items that build into something later but with trade offs.

Omni

05-19-2011

I'm not arguing that they should be stronger I just think you shouldn't be able to stack more than 2 because on some chars like Malz they're devastating.

IanTheDragon

05-19-2011

Doran's Blade x3 = 30 Attack=1425 gold, Chain Vest=45 armor=700 gold
Doran's Ring x3 = 45 Ability Power,=1425 gold, Negatron Cloak= 48 MR= 740 gold
Doran's Blade x4 = 40 Attack=1900 gold, Chain Vest x2=90 armor=1400 gold
Doran's Ring x4 = 60 Ability Power=1900 gold, Negatron Cloak x2=96 MR= 1480 gold

So, while it may be cost effective to stack Doran's Items....it is even MORE so to counter them

Omni

05-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanTheDragon View Post
Doran's Blade x3 = 30 Attack=1425 gold, Chain Vest=45 armor=700 gold
Doran's Ring x3 = 45 Ability Power,=1425 gold, Negatron Cloak= 48 MR= 740 gold
Doran's Blade x4 = 40 Attack=1900 gold, Chain Vest x2=90 armor=1400 gold
Doran's Ring x4 = 60 Ability Power=1900 gold, Negatron Cloak x2=96 MR= 1480 gold

So, while it may be cost effective to stack Doran's Items....it is even MORE so to counter them
Agreed

NoMonku

05-19-2011

I only bother stacking Doran's Blade or Ring (shield is pretty useless to stack unless you're a tank and are losing) only if I don't have enough gold for a piece of the next item I want, but still have 475 to get the blade. It's also true that you're "gambling" somewhat because you're hoping the Doran's item you get will help you get more gold for the higher damage output. If you start to die or don't get gold, then the Doran's item because less effective as the game progresses into mid and late game when people who didn't get the doran's items have a slightly better advantage. Also, you TOO can stack Doran's items if you dislike it so much. The reason people do it is because it works, but later its usefulness isn't too great.

Nutarama

05-19-2011

If you lose to someone stacking them who's actually doing well, you're probably not playing so great yourself. That player will take a pretty big hit when it comes time to upgrade, too. So just wait it out, and they'll be a lot farther from end-build than you

NoMonku

05-19-2011

Oh ya, I forgot that I also stack Doran's in cases where I'm losing sometimes. It does gimp you later, but for the duration you have it and don't have much money, it does allow you to last a bit longer.

Lethal Loki

05-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ni View Post
I'm not arguing that they should be stronger I just think you shouldn't be able to stack more than 2 because on some chars like Malz they're devastating.
lol im sorry malz is one of my favorite characters and stacking dorans rings on him is horrible, You will fall short in terms of damage and survivability this way... without gaining any utility thus insuring your timely doom.