What's all the fuss about Riot's MM system?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Right Stuff

03-21-2010

Hey guys, I am new I just started 3 days ago. I heard about this game through some DOTA friends, and decided to check it out. I won't lie, I was a very good DOTA player, and picked up this game very quickly. I just want to see why you guys have issues with this MM system. So far I feel this system rocks.

Let's check out some of the things that have happened so far.

1. I won my first two games and was playing all lvl 30's on my 3rd game. I was naturally wtfpwned with no runes/masteries/or any idea of what these nonfree characters could do.

2. 98% of my games since the 3rd one has been ALL lvl 30's. I am constantly at a disadvantage, and it just flat out is not fun.

3. Tonight I played my 28th, 29th , and 30th games. The 28th was all 30s, and somehow the 30s on my team go 1/10, 3/8, and 2/9. We obviously lose. My 29th game worked the same way as my 28th game. And my 30th game, I soloed Ashe and went 10/2 once again against all lvl 30's. We lost, but not because of the same reason as before. Check number 4 for the reason.

4. In my 30th game, my team took about a 20 to 8 lead in kills, and were just straight owning. At just around the 30 min mark, my fiddles and twitch dc. The fate on my team said they were his brothers and the power in their house went out. No problem I thought because I was already at 20 stacks leviathan/occult, so I will just grab their items and we'll finish up. The strat was to ace them on their push and they push back. Unfortunately, we can't get our leavers items, nor do we get any extra gold or xp or dmg or anything. It flat our blows my mind. So they baron, annie aoe stuns, shaco exhausts, and everyone else cleans us up. They plow all the way through nexus in one blow.

SO. My new question is this. WHAT THE **** WAS RIOT THINKING MAKING THIS FAIL MM SYSTEM?

I mean seriously. Can't win a few games without going against 30's, no leaver bonus, and just bad game pairings in general. What does a man need to do to find a decent game these days

lAmLegend

03-21-2010

I was angry at first when you said MM rocks, but then you rocked Riot. The nice thing about gaming is there is always another company that sees you failing to listen to the community and makes a better version. I anxiously await for the game. Riot is really dropping the ball on all counts.

WhitemageofDOOM

03-21-2010

Allow me to remind you what takes about 5 seconds worth of thought to realize.

90% of the player base is lvl30, if you weren't matched up with lvl30s you would have hour long queue times. Also there would be a much larger skill diffrentiol in those games since you want matchmaker to value something largely irrelevant(level) over something with huge gaps(skill).
A simple understanding of how an elo system works would also tell you that any lvl30s advantages are already compensated for in the elo system because if they win more from those advantages then there elo will go up, however while unnecessary riot included an elo boost for gaining a level anyways.
In other words if your playing against lvl30s your skill is compensating for the entirely minor difference in effectiveness from levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Stuff View Post
Unfortunately, we can't get our leavers items, nor do we get any extra gold or xp or dmg or anything.
People can rejoin after disconnecting, and if you got any sort of bonus it would create circumstances where the correct choice for a player is to /leave.

Think before you type, we aren't engaging in a conversation where the speed of conversation means rational thought can't kick in.
your a human, your smart. so ACT LIKE IT.

Shealth

03-21-2010

Quote:
Hey guys, I am new I just started 3 days ago. I heard about this game through some DOTA friends, and decided to check it out. I won't lie, I was a very good DOTA player, and picked up this game very quickly. I just want to see why you guys have issues with this MM system. So far I feel this system rocks.

Let's check out some of the things that have happened so far.

1. I won my first two games and was playing all lvl 30's on my 3rd game. I was naturally wtfpwned with no runes/masteries/or any idea of what these nonfree characters could do.

2. 98% of my games since the 3rd one has been ALL lvl 30's. I am constantly at a disadvantage, and it just flat out is not fun.

3. Tonight I played my 28th, 29th , and 30th games. The 28th was all 30s, and somehow the 30s on my team go 1/10, 3/8, and 2/9. We obviously lose. My 29th game worked the same way as my 28th game. And my 30th game, I soloed Ashe and went 10/2 once again against all lvl 30's. We lost, but not because of the same reason as before. Check number 4 for the reason.

4. In my 30th game, my team took about a 20 to 8 lead in kills, and were just straight owning. At just around the 30 min mark, my fiddles and twitch dc. The fate on my team said they were his brothers and the power in their house went out. No problem I thought because I was already at 20 stacks leviathan/occult, so I will just grab their items and we'll finish up. The strat was to ace them on their push and they push back. Unfortunately, we can't get our leavers items, nor do we get any extra gold or xp or dmg or anything. It flat our blows my mind. So they baron, annie aoe stuns, shaco exhausts, and everyone else cleans us up. They plow all the way through nexus in one blow.

SO. My new question is this. WHAT THE **** WAS RIOT THINKING MAKING THIS FAIL MM SYSTEM?

I mean seriously. Can't win a few games without going against 30's, no leaver bonus, and just bad game pairings in general. What does a man need to do to find a decent game these days

Up until level 13, you are in the newbie area, so you can only queue with newbies, its called beginner's island. It is really hard to get off of that early, soo...

You are 20-10, with 3 of you defeats coming in just after you left beginner's island. Basically at that point you were 20-7, which is a ridiculous average.

Btw, there is a leaver bonus in xp and such.

Edit: math fail

The Right Stuff

03-21-2010

Thanks for the info.

1. Please send me a link showing that 900,000 players are level 30.

2. My whole point was why are we using an ELO system that is built for 1v1s and chess doesnt even use anymore?

3. I have been playing lvl 30's since my 3rd. Somehow, my first and 2nd games were all against sub lvl 10s, and took less than 20 secs to find the match. So I am calling your bs.

4. You are boring.

The Goods

03-21-2010

I feel the same way. Win your first 3 games and then its 'OMFG SMURF. ELO BOOSTED TO 1800'. So when Riot says 'lvl =/= skill' while that may be true, but 'lvl 30 = huge ****ing advantage over lvl 29 and below'.

I can't be expected to do well when lvl 30's have full t3 runes and full masteries. so wouldnt COMMON SENSE say that since theres an innate advantage when playing lower lvl people, is there SERIOUSLY no other non lvl 30's near my elo? like Riot is saying that out of their 'huge playerbase' (no numbers because thats a super business secret and will never be given out) there is LITERALLY 0 players near my level thats also near my elo? Seeing as there was what, 1 million downloads, and of all those people that downloaded the game, there isn't 9 other people near my level and my elo?

gimme a ****ing break. fix your ****ing MM to include summoner level incorperated in making matches.

Shealth

03-21-2010

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

1. Please send me a link showing that 900,000 players are level 30.

2. My whole point was why are we using an ELO system that is built for 1v1s and chess doesnt even use anymore?

3. I have been playing lvl 30's since my 3rd. Somehow, my first and 2nd games were all against sub lvl 10s, and took less than 20 secs to find the match. So I am calling your bs.

4. You are boring.
You are 20-10, stop whining because you lost the last 3 in a row.

The Right Stuff

03-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shealth View Post
Up until level 13, you are in the newbie area, so you can only queue with newbies, its called beginner's island. It is really hard to get off of that early, soo...

You are 20-10, with 3 of you defeats coming in just after you left beginner's island. Basically at that point you were 27-7, which is a ridiculous average.

Btw, there is a leaver bonus in xp and such.
Um. I just lvled to 13 on my 30th game. So I technically should just now be leaving newbie island. No idea where you are getting the 27-7 number.

Shealth

03-21-2010

Quote:
Um. I just lvled to 13 on my 30th game. So I technically should just now be leaving newbie island. No idea where you are getting the 27-7 number.
Edited my post, i failed at math. Either way, 20-10 is not a bad average. You will find that you will have bad teammates and good ones, you just have to learn to roll with it.

WhitemageofDOOM

03-21-2010

Quote:
You have a better solution?

Quote:
Now that is not right, yeah.