[Discussion] AP vs AD Ezreal

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ronoh

Adjudicator

03-18-2010

AD Damage. You guys seem to talk about mana problems? If I have sheen I never have mana problems. I don't spam W or E because I pick my shots. I spam Q, hit like a truck and wait 3 seconds before I do it again. AP Ezreal is all about support to me, much like Cryo is. Cryo and Ezreal can dominate as AP champs no doubt but their late game power is meek at best so they are relegated to a support roll. Spamming W and R does make team fights go better, but spamming Q into their squishy's face while kitting him around like a boss seems just as useful, and a lot more fun to play.

Everyone seems to think AD Ezreal is all about auto-attack. It isn't at all, you still use all your skills together to maximize damage output (I can tell you how many kills I have gotten with just a level 1 Essence Flux with no +AP) and with your AoE ult you are still a valuable asset to the team in big fights, even if it isn't doing WTFPWN damage. I don't get any AP (besides Sheen/Triforce) in my build and manage to carry the team without relying on auto-attacks alone.

chumbler

03-18-2010

I've found that rushing a tiamat in an AD build has decent results (item still needs a buff, but it's great for Ezreal.) The regens on it help a bit and the extra damage early combined with the aoe that Q gets from it help with farming. On top of that, once you build more damage the aoe damage gets pretty big. Personally I find any kind of crit or attack speed to be wasted on him. Q can't crit and it's often unsafe to autoattack, and if you're in a group W can give you a near full stack of his passive, which is a sizable enough attack speed boost. I think I still like AP more, but I'm warming up to attack damage on him.

What I've been going is rush tiamat (starting with the two regen items and health pot, long sword if you feel saucy), get level 1 boots, get sheen, then brutalizer, build a phage, then build it into trinity force. Game is unlikely to last much beyond that especially if you've been buying wards, but I'd probably look toward building a health item or if you have WAY too much cash, a locket. With the amount of spamming he can do the regen from that stacks up fast. With this build you have to play pretty conservatively with both health and mana since you don't have much regen (note that I bring clarity on him and clairvoyance because it owns.) Generally not a first blood build, just hang back and last hit with Q. I'd go attack damage if your team needs an offensive boost. Q also pushes really well with a good amount of damage built up and a tiamat.

For AP build I go catalyst first, get level 1 boots, build rod of ages from the catalyst once its heals/mana aren't as significant (though it's good to try to get rod before 15-20 minutes for full effect,) get a sheen which you build into lichbane asap, then get a brutalizer. If the game goes longer, look to stack more ap, like zhonya's, or aura items since AP plays more of a support role. Regen and survivability are a bit better for an AP build just because of the items (specifically rod) so you can cast a bit more freely (especially considering Q is likely to be low level and thus cheap.) I'd go AP if the team has solid attackers, since you likely won't need as much spammy damage output but the extra support in his heal helps and with the lichbane and all the AP combined with his decent scaling, his damage is no slouch (might arguably be better once you factor in the aoe on W and R.)

I'm still experimenting though, so I'm sure some of my choices aren't the best or build up too slowly. I will say that I don't really like rageblade on him, though. It requires a lot of spamming to build up or risky autoattacking, and the payoff isn't that huge (unless you have a lichbane.) Sheen and its upgraded forms are definite musts on Ezreal, though. I'm certain of that much.

Edit: Forgot to mention, upgrade boots at your discretion. I prefer boots of swiftness, but merc treads are of course a good option if the other team is magic damage/cc heavy. Boots of mobility might be a good option on him, too, but I haven't tried it. If hitting with his spells doesn't make him lose the speed boost they could be pretty great.

Xaerael

03-18-2010

I tried a AD build for my first few matchs and then AP the next few, AP certainly has more flexibility to it, you can nuke really well if you can get the shots off, if Arcane Shift took priority towards champions first and not be random, he'd be much more user friendly.

His early game is really weak due to being mostly skill shots, minions are involved a lot in the early game, therefore not having a solid method of killing and ganking can be really difficult and as Ezreal needs some form of early game ganking to secure the items he needs, most notable is Lich Bane, which can be pretty expensive for being a core item early game.

Arcane Shift's arrow also needs a bigger range, you kinda have to get in closer to use it, with a chance of it missing and getting yourself killed, and to top it off you've used your Flash, which is your only form of escape.

Changes I think are needed:

• Arcane Shift's Arrow needs the ability to adjust priority towards Champions when there are minions around, even if you Flash to the right place, a minion can put himself between you and your target, therefore losing your kill shot, I've had this happen so much and it's irritating as ****.
  • His Passive: Throwing Mystic Shot ever 3 seconds is heavily mana costly for a buff you'll barely pay attention to because you're to busy spamming Mystic Shots to keep the **** thing up, overall another counter productive spell because you're better off saving mana to nuke people.

Khranz

03-18-2010

The only on-hit items I see as being useful on Ez are Frozen Mallet, Sheen/TF/LB and... well that's it. Most others rely on stacking quickly (Malady, Cleaver, Wit's End), and Q, while very fast, isn't fast enough.

Stark's is a good choice as far as aura's go... as is Soul Shroud as Ez can use the mana regen and CDR to great effect. Enervating locket wouldn't be bad either as your Q's cooldown would synergize with it almost perfectly. If you're going all out support, Aegis is good, but it doesn't do much for Ez himself like the above 3 items do.

So...

http://www.leaguecraft.com/builder/E...a4230c873e7d40

Go for Phage early and then finish everything else before Frozen Mallet.

I know there is still a slot open. If you get that far into the game, Aegis is going to be a terrible choice, as it just doesn't offer enough at that stage to be worth while. A Trinity Force would probably be quite effective if you made it that long and had the money.

That said, if you see yourself getting lots of kills early game and your team doing quite well, you'd be stupid not to pick up some straight AD/AP items... like SotO or Mejai's. If you have the momentum, Ez makes very good use of them.

Ennbeard

03-19-2010

I go, generally

Meki -> Chalice
Boots -> Merc treads or Swiftness
Brutalizer
Sheen
Guinsoo's
Finish Trinity force (starting with Phage, could get phage earlier if you need more HP)
If you ever get past this, Any BF item or last whisper would help. Or, a survivability item.

With such large range on your main nuke and a built in blink, if teamfights go well you shouldn't be getting hit. Of course if it goes poorly and you do start getting hit, the meager survivability one item offers Probably won't save you.

If the game STILL won't end, go ahead and sell Chalice for Rylais or Banshees or RoA, Sell Brutalizer for... Black cleaver or Last whisper.

Generally you'll end the game at Sheen + Guinsoos + Ruby Crystal.

KaiTo1520

03-19-2010

well,,, my build really depends on my teammates and enemies... if we have a karthus/other Hard AOE smackers i always go for AP(got my Quintakill with karth one time)... or if all enemies are glass cannons... but if they have tank its AD/DPS... you just have to adapt to the situation if you're using EZ... on AP,,,i go level W E to 2... then 1 Q....then pump W E R....your W will hit hard once you get a sheen and the wand thingy...then go for lich...

Brozan

03-19-2010

I've been building anti-carry AP lichebane build lately. He can absolutely burst someone down with a q-e-w-r combo that is **** amazing.

Kikhan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-19-2010

Glad to see more people weighing in on this especially a couple more senior member's with a red post link on the forums being nice to.

I can see Tiamat being very helpful with dealing large minion waves but in general is considered a weak item.

Of course any stacking items are extremely useful to Ezreal especially since I know for myself at least. I die maybe once or twice at most by the 30 minute mark of the game. As it takes at least 3 summoner spells and an enemy well behind our lines to gank me to get me down. Assuming of course I am not getting caught by a group stun gang bang event.

People need to pick there shots I have played against some Ezreal's that are good about porting and dumping their load and running. While it does provide some burst they burn their wad in a few attempts at this then they are oom. If they dont get mana back I pick them off pretty easily if they stick around.

xahhfink6

03-19-2010

The thing is, his W's best ability (the buff/debuff) has nothing to do with the damage, his E's best ability (the flash) has nothing to do with the damage, and his R's best ability (the fact that it keeps your passive maxed) has nothing to do with damage.

Also, his W and E have terrible ratios.

With an AP build, you will be depending on using/hitting with your Q all of the time anyways, as well as your auto attacks...

why buy items theat will be increasing your damage by much less when you will be playing the characters the same way either build?

chumbler

03-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by xahhfink6 View Post
The thing is, his W's best ability (the buff/debuff) has nothing to do with the damage, his E's best ability (the flash) has nothing to do with the damage, and his R's best ability (the fact that it keeps your passive maxed) has nothing to do with damage.

Also, his W and E have terrible ratios.

With an AP build, you will be depending on using/hitting with your Q all of the time anyways, as well as your auto attacks...

why buy items theat will be increasing your damage by much less when you will be playing the characters the same way either build?
I've thought about it and experimented a bit and have come to the conclusion that, if money and time are removed from consideration, AP is unquestionably the better build. All 4 of his skills will scale with AP, 2 at 1:1, 1 at .6:1, and the last at .75:1, which are all good ratios when you consider the skills they're attached to. On top of that, the items he can grab for AP often have some survivability attached to them.

The problem is this AP build is ridiculously expensive, leaving him really weak for the majority of the game. If you have a team with which you can reliably get kills/assists with few deaths, go hog wild and build for AP. The AP build is basically a double or nothing gamble. If it works, the payoff is huge, if not, your team is down at least half a man.

Since most games do not go so swimmingly, the AD build is a lot safer. You can generally build AD items fairly regularly so you don't have any extended weak periods and can harass and farm more effectively due to a stronger Q, in addition to being more useful in early ganks/team fights. An AD build's maximum effectiveness is not as high as an AP build, but it has a lot more early game strength to make up for it (it's still no slouch late game, but W won't be a second ultimate like it is in an AP build.) AD build also benefits far more from his passive.

I initially was all for AP builds, but I'm more and more turning toward AD on him since it's a lot more reliable. Still don't like rageblade on him, though.