Guide: Ezreal The Prodigal Explorer

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

scals

03-18-2010

Why would you start with Q if you are building AP?

Q does not even scale with AP at all you are backwards in your build man.

ShadowedFate

03-18-2010

I'm personally not interested in writing my own guide, but I thought I'd share thoughts I've had since your guide inspired me.

I've been doing really well so far with a hybrid attack/ap build loosely based of your concept and thought I might share it for you to try since you seem fairly serious about Ezreal.

My items in order:
Mana Crystal -> Sheen because the Q skill actually procs and uses it at the same time(extremely useful for farming early game)

Mercury's Treads, Sorcerer's Boots, Boots of Mobility: These change based on the role I feel I need to fill. This is up to the player in my opinion

Mejai's Soul Stealer: This is my ap for most of the game. Period.

BF Sword: Time to buff that Q skill.

Vampiric Scepter: Works with that buffed Q skill.

BF Sword #2: I really do like that Q skill and by now I generally have 10+ stacks on Mejai's.

Bloodthirster #1: Nothing much to say here other than that Q spam is handy.

Stinger: CD reduction and finally a bit of mana regen, oh noes!

From here I kinda just randomly go for another Bloodthirster, Nashor's Tooth or Trinity Force if the game is still going. Many games I never even reach my Stinger.

Skill order and usage:
First skill is definitely the Q skill, between its low cost and the spamibility, it will get you going quickly.

Next I go for the E skill for an attempt at an early gank, or to run away from a failed one.

Then I pick up the W skill and use it to further harass.

From here I take turns leveling Q and E while picking up my ult every time it can be leveled.

With my build Q can let you farm with ease much like the AP build in the guide, but I also can use it for the vampiric aspect to heal. I feel that while I do sacrifice some of the "oh hell, what just hit me" damage, of his magic skills, I'm more capable of actually continuing the fight even if I miss one of my larger nukes.

The Q skill with sheen + a bf sword does around 300 dmg at lvl 15ish. I don't really have concrete numbers on any of this, but this build has done me well so far so I thought I might share it.

ShadowedFate

03-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by scals View Post

Double Posting to answer you, but meh.

It's because Q activates and then uses sheen's effect. This is just like Poppy's Devistating Blow that can activate sheen on activation and then applies the effect when it hits.

Also the low cost of his Q skill is important, as Ezreal has the worst mana issues outside of Morgana in my opinion.

Empyron

03-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme1337 View Post
Have you thought about going for complete CD reduction? You could get something along the lines of Glacial Shroud (-->Frozen Heart), Haunting Visage, Nashor's Tooth, and anything else with a CD redux. That should let you spam his skills, eventhough you loose the big AP bonus. If you get a Rageblade later, you could also charge it really quickly with this.

Just a thought (it might be really stupid, but I thought I'd just put it out there).
Since he burns mana so fast, I'm not so sure this is that great an idea.

Gekkonidae

03-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowedFate View Post
Double Posting to answer you, but meh.

It's because Q activates and then uses sheen's effect. This is just like Poppy's Devistating Blow that can activate sheen on activation and then applies the effect when it hits.

Also the low cost of his Q skill is important, as Ezreal has the worst mana issues outside of Morgana in my opinion.
Don't forget that the Q skill is also good for quick last hitting creepers (and champs early game) numerous times due to it's ability to be spammed.

So there's 3 reasons to at least start with a rank 1 Mystic Shot. I prefer getting 1 into it then not really touching it until after 6 for those 3 reasons alone. Sure it might not do much damage to champs AT lvl 6, but it's nice to harrass with E then Q, last hit lane critters for more dough and it procs Sheen for more overall dmg output. Kind of a nice placeholder to help you get the other things you need quicker.

jenarelJAM

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-18-2010

Wow. Thanks for all the comments and alternate build types guys. Can anyone comment on the effectiveness of life leech with Ezreal?

The item build someone posted above:
sheen,boots,mejai's,bloodthirster,bf sword, etc. Is 15% life leech really enough to make a difference in a team fight? Do you have the staying power to leech off someone as you're hitting each other, ala warwick or twitch?

The game or two I tried a similar build (I think I went triforce, boots, bloodthirster), I could leech slowly back up off of minions, but in any team battle, I was severely limited, because damage was rolling in far faster than I could leech my life back.

Also, the downside I see for a melee build is that, then, you have to get within attack range, and it's much easier to get targeted. With an AP build, if you stay back with Q, R, and then when they break, dash in with E and fire off W into the group, you can do tons of damage (W and R will hit multiples for 600+ and 1000+ in most of my games, which, if R hits 2-3 people in a team fight before the fight even starts, will will almost guarantee a win of the team fight).

Another thought is that, with a melee build, presumably you still fire off Q, jump in with E, shoot W where it's most useful, maybe shoot R before, maybe during, and then you sit there and wait for Q to come back and do normal attacks (which do significant damage, but your QWER spells did less), but you are unable to shoot of any normal attacks while using Q,W,E, and R, while you're still in range of the enemy's attacks.

Thoughts?

Zaouron

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by scals View Post

give it a try. you'll understand just how amazing mystic shot is. even with no AD it will make last hitting minions soooooooo easy.

i typically do Q>E>Q>W>E>R then go R>E>W>Q.

Those early 2 points in Q put your mystic shot at ~110 damage. If you're really really good at timing last hits then only a single point into Q would suffice.

Also, each time you connect with a mystic shot it reduces the CD on all of your abilities (including mystic shot) by 1 second. So spam spam spam this ability.

The early point into E is for survivability/chasing. You can easily swap preference between W and E depending on play style. I like maxing E early because it has a static mana cost. Each point increases damage and decreases CD. It really helps survivability.

Aregionius

Senior Wrenchman

03-18-2010

Also you probably wouldn't have a significant amount of AP to synergize with your other skills until later anyway.

ShadowedFate

03-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenarelJAM View Post
Wow. Thanks for all the comments and alternate build types guys. Can anyone comment on the effectiveness of life leech with Ezreal?

The item build someone posted above:
sheen,boots,mejai's,bloodthirster,bf sword, etc. Is 15% life leech really enough to make a difference in a team fight? Do you have the staying power to leech off someone as you're hitting each other, ala warwick or twitch?

The game or two I tried a similar build (I think I went triforce, boots, bloodthirster), I could leech slowly back up off of minions, but in any team battle, I was severely limited, because damage was rolling in far faster than I could leech my life back.

Also, the downside I see for a melee build is that, then, you have to get within attack range, and it's much easier to get targeted. With an AP build, if you stay back with Q, R, and then when they break, dash in with E and fire off W into the group, you can do tons of damage (W and R will hit multiples for 600+ and 1000+ in most of my games, which, if R hits 2-3 people in a team fight before the fight even starts, will will almost guarantee a win of the team fight).

Another thought is that, with a melee build, presumably you still fire off Q, jump in with E, shoot W where it's most useful, maybe shoot R before, maybe during, and then you sit there and wait for Q to come back and do normal attacks (which do significant damage, but your QWER spells did less), but you are unable to shoot of any normal attacks while using Q,W,E, and R, while you're still in range of the enemy's attacks.

Thoughts?
I'm honestly not sure how or why my build seems to work.

My guesses/understandings:

1.Sheen benefits more from attack damage because it increases by 80% of your base damage not ap. Doesn't change to ap until Lich Bane.

2.By rank 5 of the Q skill, its pretty much spammable non-stop with maybe 1 second between casts in my experience. Especially true after getting stinger, nashor's tooth, or golem buffs.

3. I find the W skill useful, especially as ap, but its low range often leaves me with my target escaping it. Could just be my skill level with that particular skill.

4. Doing extremely rough math, I remember one game having around 212 attack damage at one point. So with sheen that would be 212 + 120 + 169.6 (round to 170?) which would be 501-502 damage. So every 3-5 seconds I can do between 400 and 500 damage depending on armor. This would be about 60-80 health per skill at just 15% life steal, not including auto attacks which are quite quick when you spam Q thanks to his passive.

5. I've actually taken on an equal level Twitch head on and won outright.

6. Thanks to my mejai's I'm still adding around 200 damage to my ult and I remember seeing about +136 on my E skill at one point in the game.

7. This may be the biggest difference for me. I play Ezreal like I played the old Katarina. I start as a harasser and then eventually move in for a kill where I pretty much blow everything I have.

Sorry about so much lack of concrete numbers and what-not. My recommendation is to definitely play what you get used to instead of messing with other people's builds.

I also included a picture of the last game I played as Ezreal to show my stats. The game was levels 22+ with about 6 30s in it.

Here's a leaguecraft build version: http://leaguecraft.com/builder/Ezrea...000f882d7019cb

Supreme1337

03-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empyron View Post
Since he burns mana so fast, I'm not so sure this is that great an idea.
Well, Glacial Shroud and then Frozen Heart will greatly increase his mana supply, and Mystic Shot won't take much (this would be his main spam anility since it doesn't rely on AP anyways and it will have really fast CD), and then with the extra cooldown from Mystic Shot you can fire off the more mana-requiring abilities in between mystic shots.