[Guide] DPS Tristana Proof that good things do come in small packages!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xrats

03-09-2010

A good Tristana depends on a few good items to pawn in the battlefield.

Begin with dorans shield and a healing potion.Dont try any lifesteal item.Vs good players and heroes you wont have the chance to hit and lifesteal very often.You need a permanent hp regen.Also,dorans shield boosts you with an early 120 hp which is a very good + early in the game make you less likely to be killed and allow you to play more aggresive early on.If you can survive without any problems with only lifesteal that means that you play vs low level enemies.

After this get boots.Now,after boots consider the situation in the game.If you think your enemies are easy to handle then you can go for a BF asap(1850 gold).If not,then you can go for phage(gives hp,slow and dmg) and advanced boots.If the enemies have a lot of stuns and slows(which is the most common situation)i go for mercury treads.If not,i go for attack speed boots.

After these items,you can go for your first big one.You first item should always be the Infinity edge and second the Phandom dancer.You can change the priority in some occasions.In good games you wont have the opportunity to get many items.Most games will end when you get the IE.You wont have time for other items so dont spend your precious gold and time into pointess items.Avoid frozen mallet,tiamat and malady by all costs.They are useless items on trist which only delay you from getting more dmg early in the game.Remember,you are a carry.You need dmg.Dont delay dmg for other things.You ll regret it later in the game.A carry without dmg is useless.

Get armor pen runes or critical chance ones.Avoid critical damage runes.Mostly prefer armor pen ones.

Get the red aura when you can.This slow will allow you to chase and kill enemies in the game.Thats why you dont need frozen mallet.This aura combined with your big dmg,attack speed and range will make you deadly.

Use green potions to boost your dmg in the early game.Dont ignore these potions.

Your summoner spells:exhaust and ghost running/flash.

Some Tristanas use flash/ignite or exhaust/ignite and try to solo.Avoid that.There are 3 main reasons you shouldnt try this:

1)Ignite is nice early game but in the late game is almost useless.Ghost running/flash will be much more usefull later.
2)In most teams there always be other heroes who will have priority to get solo instead of you.Apart from that there are more deadly enemy soloers than you in mid.Especially if you arent very good and start trying Trist now dont try solo mid.You ll regret it.
3)Try to lane with a good ally for early kills/assists.Prefer a stunner or slower.With your jumb you can chase and double slow an enemy.If he gets killed you have another jumb to chase the second one.Very nice way to get double kills early on.Be aggresive but always beware.Use your ghost running to fall back after a jumb if needed or to chase any enemies at low hp.

Lastly,do gang.You are an excelent ganger.Especially after level 6.Jumb on an enemy,exhaust him,then run in front of him and knock him back to your allies.Then jumb on him to slow.You will like the results.Dont think you will be able to escape with your jumb.In many occasions you will need more than that.Most good enemies will try to surround you.Be aware always and use wards to see things around you.

Thats the main thing.

TheRealGLuB

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-13-2010

1 Vampiric Scepter > Bloodthirster
2 Phage > Frozen Mallet
3 Guinsoo's Rageblade or Phantom Dancer
4 Last Whisper or Infinity Edge

Shoes are optional with rocket jump you don't need to run...

GLuB disagrees ignite can be useful early and late game
ignite + explosion shot + buster shot can get you kills and give you time to run away

space jazz

03-14-2010

Here's the most successful item order for me:

1) Doran's Shield + 1 health potion
2) B.F. Sword => 4) Long Sword => 5) The Black Cleaver
3) Boots of speed => 7) Boots of Mobility (or some else boots)
6) Phage => 12) Frozen Mallet (if the game is very long)
8) Zeal => 10) Phantom Dancer
9) Infinity Edge
11) sell Doran's Shield and use Elixir of Agility, etc

xrats

03-15-2010

1)Never buy malady,frozen mallet and tiamat.They are useless items that cost you money and time and delay your basic dmg items.Remember,good games are intense and some will end in much less time than u expect.You are a carry.Your basic objective is to deal dmg.If you have lifesteal or slow or everything else except dmg then you will have failed as a carry.Enemies wont wait for you forever,in order to be able to get all these items and be deadly.

2)Be quick.Grab some dorans shield or so,boots and go for your IE fast.Some times,it will be the only good item you can get before a fast game ends.With an elixirs potion you will be quite deadly.If you think that u need some boost hp early in the game go for phage.It is enough.You could also go for brutalizer or zeal.They are cheap items that give dmg and some other abilities.Dont throw your money in items that dont give you dmg.

3)Many dont like Phandom Dancers because it doesnt give a lot of dmg like other items.If you dont like it go for Last Whisper.However,if you jhave problems vs other carries then go for it,since it gives 20% dodge.

Zombie Irwin

03-15-2010

Is it really good to level rocket jump early? It will make it cost more mana as an escape utility, and the slow factor isn't increased. All you gain is a bit of damage.

xrats

03-16-2010

Yes,it is.Early game you dont do much dmg and dont have big range.Since you dont get the most basic points of your hero at this time (dmg and range) you need a boost in order to take some early kills.Jumb isnt only escape.Its also chasing.You can do some more dmg also to finish off the enemy.And after an enemy its killed u have it available again to jumb on another enemy as well.Perfect for double kills early on.

On the other hand,rapid shot isnt so good early on.It costs you more mana to use all 3 spells together and good enemies will avoid it many ways(backing off,stun.slow etc).

TheRealGLuB

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrats View Post
Yes,it is.Early game you dont do much dmg and dont have big range.Since you dont get the most basic points of your hero at this time (dmg and range) you need a boost in order to take some early kills.Jumb isnt only escape.Its also chasing.You can do some more dmg also to finish off the enemy.And after an enemy its killed u have it available again to jumb on another enemy as well.Perfect for double kills early on.

On the other hand,rapid shot isnt so good early on.It costs you more mana to use all 3 spells together and good enemies will avoid it many ways(backing off,stun.slow etc).
GLuB agrees you lack damage but rocket jump is too dangerous (ie early game turret fire if mid or top or bottom the other champ) and should not be used to chase. rocket jump should be used defensively not as an aggressive attack (ie a combo starter or for slowing allowing more rapid fire). As for the damage you lack ignite and improved rally are a way more friendly booster of damage

turtlejay

05-13-2010

I followed this guide when I first started Trist, and I just. . .hate it. I was losing about twice as often as winning. Feeding. It was rough, even if I got the money to buy all the crazy expensive gear recommended. . .Trist sucked.

Trist doesn't need AP. She doesn't need Sheen. She needs
1) Attack Speed
2) Crit Chance
3) Attack Damage
4) Armor Penetration

After quitting her for good and moving on to try Annie, Garen, and Taric. . .I came back and ignored this and all other guides. I'm not saying I'm a Tristana God or anything, but beware: this guide holds much misinformation.

For Runes, Crit Chance, Armor Pen, and some Mana Regen are all good ideas. I am still using my melee champ basic runes, those are Crit chance, CD reduction, and Mana Regen. When I earn the AP to switch I will probably get rid of the CD reduction for Trist (though having Q up more often is pretty handy).

For summoner spells you should be using Teleport/x, where x is whatever works for you. Exhaust is great with her, if you can hit it and then Rocket Jump on them you can keep them in range for a good length of time. I like Ghost because with Boots/PD/Ghost she is able to run everyone down, and Trist is a wonderful chaser.

For skills. . .don't push Rocket Jump. You should not be using it for damage, you will most often get trapped or CC'd to death. Use it to escape or slow, and don't touch it otherwise.

Her Expoding Shot is what makes her a super laner, and a tough opponent. I max it ASAP. Attack the enemy nearest your opponent, and when it dies, your enemy takes damage, despite you having not attacked them at all. This extends your already godlike range to impossible-to-counter distances. In addition, it helps you farm like a beast, which is good. I find most games recently to be very good harrassment/denial games.

Her attack speed buff is good, but only as good as the damage you are increasing. As such, I leave it to second priority.

Take a level of Explosive Shot first (if you are laning against a healer, it will make that first blood even easier, and piss them off the rest of the early game) and rocket jump for escaping second. Then push R, E, Q, and W in that order whenever available.

For items. . .stay away from berserker's greaves. And AP. And Trinity Force. And Tiamat. And other silly things.

Vampiric Scepter (you are an auto-attacking fool, so you will get a lot more use out of this than most)
Executioner's Calling (DoT and healing denial early game is nice. If you see them pop a potion, you can reduce it's effectiveness)
Ninja Tabi or Treads
Last Whisper
Infinity Edge

For me most games are ending or pretty decided by this point. You have about 65% crit chance, lifesteal, DoT, better speed (and appropriate defensive boost), Armor Penetration, Attack Speed boost, about 100 more AD, and the IE improvement to crit damage. A nice package. After this I'll work on building a Phantom Dancer, and buy Elixir if I remember to. Last game was almost 70 minutes and I finished buying what I wanted so I . . .bought another PD? I was the fastest MFer out there, with 100% crit and just brushing the 2.5 attack speed limit with Q activated. We still lost.

And then I play safe. No Rocket Jumping in, period. Harrass like a *****. Use Exploding Shot liberally early game, even though the DoT is not that much, it is psychologically important to make them fear you. Buster Shot is great utility and a superb finisher (until late game). I use it to escape (Buster Shot+Rocket Jump may exhaust my mana, but I am pretty much home free after that). Note that Buster shot will throw multiple enemies back, so you can change a bad rout into an escape if it is off of CD.

Anyways, that is my opinion. I am no master, by far, but I have come a long ways from trying to build my trist with collosally stupid items.

Jay

Tipton

Recruiter

05-13-2010

If not Q'd with an Ashe I enjoy picking up a Frozen Mallet with Trist. Her long range and the slow from the mallet pretty much allow you to grab a hero and get one killed during team fights where someone eeks their head out a little too far.

SwiftySuspect

07-05-2010

Xrats and turtlejay gave some really useful information. Not knocking the original guide, but their additional input is great and a bit more up to date.