Having fun vs Tryhards

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kodoku

Senior Member

02-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeonMax View Post
It already exists. It's called a Normal Game. You know, it has the (broken) ranking system behind it to try and generate balanced and competitive games.

The problem is, all the casual players use it as well instead of going into a Practice Game where they can mess around all they like.

It might work better if Riot just did a little renaming...

Normal Game -> Competitive or Ranked Game
Practice Game -> Casual Game

...and made some desperately needed improvements to the Practice Game lobby.
Actually you couldn't be any more wrong. Normal games are just that - normal games. Come one, come all. Ranked games will come in the relatively near future, and THOSE will be the competitive games. That's why Riot no longer posts Elo, that's why normal games have a "newbie island", and that's why practice games have an IP penalty.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CarlSagansCosmos

Senior Member

02-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeonMax View Post
Normal Game -> Competitive or Ranked Game
Practice Game -> Casual Game

...and made some desperately needed improvements to the Practice Game lobby.
if practice games didn't penalize IP (I'm not even worried about the exp) I'd go with that or just offered all the characters to play.

I'm with OP. I play for fun. Rolled or not. It doesn't bother me if my team dies constantly. I team play (I know how to use only 1 support and 1 tank unfortunately), but that doesn't mean I take it as seriously as they do, which is a shame for them. I'd rather try to solo barron if we're getting ripped just to see...I usually die. But that one time I did do it...oh, man...good times...good times...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wulgreth

Member

02-26-2010

To varying degrees, most games are competitive in the sense that there is a winner and a loser. In this game, like many games, you even specifically get rewards for winning (more IP/XP, as well as wins displayed). The game will attract people who enjoy a competitive atmosphere. The rest will go play The Sims or another game that isn't necessarily competitive.

Now, you can choose not to play the game that way, you may derive your pleasure in a different way...but since it is, at heart, both a competitive game and a team game...imo, if you go into a team game and don't give it your all, you are being selfish by putting your fun over the fun of your team mates.

I think that since the game is set up to be competitive (at least, to some degree, not saying esports here), that is the expectation and if you think there should be a 'non-competitive' version of the game, then either play Practice games or suggest an alternative to Riot that meets your needs.

I wouldn't give you a hard time about playing Kat because she might be your best champ. But conceptually, if you choose to put your team at a disadvantage, it's no different than if you went into the game and announced that you had fun killing neutrals so that was all you were going to do the entire match.

That isn't to say that winning is the only fun. Steamrolling people isn't that fun, after all. And I have enjoyed *some* games that we lost. But the times I enjoy a loss is when it's a close game and everyone is 'trying hard'. In other words, winning isn't fun but trying to win IS. And because it's a team game, that includes my team mates.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Manturion

Senior Member

02-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dullindal View Post
Thats true.

But having a game with a nice social conversation (be it with my team or the enemy).
Or having a game with a lot of enjoyable acions/moment.
Those are the games i enjoy more then those games where you rape the enemy team and slaughter them 20-2 k/d.

And thats why im coming up with the option to pick the kind of game you want.
Either serious or for fun.

Oh and even while i dont care about winning or losing that much, i do give it my all.
Even if this was implimented (it won't) people with high ELO who know what they are doing would join the "for fun" options just to dominate some scrubs. This idea will never work.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EasymodeX

Senior Member

02-26-2010

Quote:
Even if this was implimented (it won't) people with high ELO who know what they are doing would join the "for fun" options just to dominate some scrubs. This idea will never work.
That's your random baseless fear because you're bad.

I would join the "for fun" queue when I want to pick Warwick and afk in the jungle all game.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ctidesm

Senior Member

02-26-2010

I'm sorry, this isn't single player pokemon where who ever you choose will work; this is a game just like CS or SC or TF2, if you choose to only pistol or 2gate scout or healess medic you're gonna get stomped many more times not because 'tryhards' are raping you, but because the other team has competent people.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tekman

Senior Member

02-26-2010

why dont you just go to a practice game?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bloodba7h

Senior Member

02-26-2010

Until ranked games are available, you'll have these vastly different goals (though to some winning is the fun) and this problem.

We have to just grin and bear it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

allistrom

Adjudicator

02-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekman View Post
why dont you just go to a practice game?
jeez just like the people i play wiht "why dont you NOT play champions with skill shots while your drunk?? oh yeah well wwhy dont you guys go to hell lol, imma play Blitzcrank while im blitzed off my ass and miss every godd dammm grab just because i feel like drinking more... btw we still won.... i eventually got one grab, but maan was it worth it


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

McComb

Member

02-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesmc View Post
think of it this way, this game, after all, is a 5v5 game, in a 5v5, there are 5 people playing against another group of 5 people, when You Yourself choose to play a champion that is slightly nerfed atm in Your elo bracket, obviously the other 4 players on the team arn't gonna be content with Your choice.

this is a 5v5 game, not 1v5, not 4v5, but a 5v5, the other 4 players on your team are also looking to have fun and enjoy the game, current state of the game, Katarina do not synergies well within team fights, if you say you are in a decent elo bracket, chances are, you guys will get in many team fights.

so~it's a 5v5, not 1v5, not 4v5, a 5v5.
I think you forgot to mention it's a 5v5 game.