Help me fix my terrible, terrible Jax playing!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IrishDoom

02-25-2010

I'm embarrassing myself out there, I really am. Sure, once I get him loaded up with items and start approaching 18, I destroy about anyone 1 on 1, and wreak general havoc.

My problem is that I'm getting stomped, like really stomped, early on. (Of 6 matches so far, only one has gone well, when I had a solid Corki as a lane partner) I just can't seem to figure how to play him early. Do I just go really, really conservative during laning, and try to hug the tower? Is Jax the type that I should think about jungling early on? Perhaps I'm just getting unlucky being matched up against ranged champs early, and they just seem to be able to harass me at will.

So anyone have any advice?

Struz

02-25-2010

What exactly are you having trouble with in the lane? Don't be overly aggressive all the time since you're a (fairly) squishy melee character.

That said, you should be looking for opportunities to use leap on the squishiest opponent of yours. Good times to do this are when you get a dodge off a creep. This way you can leap them, stun them and run back after having done a decent chunk of damage to them. If your lane partner joins in on this you can put some serious hurt on people with minimal risk to yourself.

Also, look for last hits as much as possible. This pretty much goes without saying. Don't auto attack mobs because pushing your lane too far as a melee deprives you of last hits at their tower.

We need more information about what exactly you're having trouble with to help you further.

IrishDoom

02-25-2010

I think what's getting me is harassment from ranged enemies. It just seems to easy for them to plunk me here and there and wear me down, then a quick focus from both enemies and I'm toast. I guess the problem is I have to get up close and personal to try to get last hits, and then I'm constantly being whittled down. I even usually start off with a couple of health pots to help, but perhaps I get a little too aggressive early as well.

Struz

02-25-2010

Grab a Doran's shield if you think you'll be against annoying ranged (Kayle, Ashe, etc.). It's invaluable. Having a good lane partner works wonders too.

Alternatively, get a Long Sword to start with so that last hitting is slightly easier. You get an extra hp pot this way too plus the 50 hp from Jax's passive. If you have to make an early trip back (do this instead of dying) then buy 2-3 extra hp pots to get you through the rest of the phase.

Most melee carrys suffer from this problem and it takes a while to get used to handling it. Having one melee, one ranged in a lane can help too. The ranged in your lane can counter harrass their ranged.

Lynxion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-26-2010

You fail hard, he's possibly one of the most OP heros right now.

IrishDoom

02-26-2010

Brilliant reply, Lynxion.

As for those who actually tried to help, thanks much!

Dazmen

02-26-2010

Jax can have some early gaem trouble depending on who he is laned with adn against, he can also do very well. I Grab a doran's shield to start off with, really helps out.

Know the heros you are laned against, know if yuo would be able to harass by leap strike+empower and get away with more dmg to them then to you. I get 1 level of each skill then focus on Leap Strike>counterstrike>relentless assult>empower.

If you have some squishys(ashe, twitch and veigar are my favorites=P) in your lane you can net yourself afew early kills and become a force. If you are going agaisnt a ryze or an annie (basicly anyone with a stun or huge burst) or dual ranged dps (teemo/trist or corki/ashe sucks abit) If you do have one of those lanes just sit back, it is better to survive poorly farmed then to feed the enemy and be outleveled and poorly farmed.

This is from my expiernce anyways, hoped it helped =]

Zero Control

02-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazmen View Post
Jax can have some early gaem trouble depending on who he is laned with adn against, he can also do very well. I Grab a doran's shield to start off with, really helps out.

Know the heros you are laned against, know if yuo would be able to harass by leap strike+empower and get away with more dmg to them then to you. I get 1 level of each skill then focus on Leap Strike>counterstrike>relentless assult>empower.

If you have some squishys(ashe, twitch and veigar are my favorites=P) in your lane you can net yourself afew early kills and become a force. If you are going agaisnt a ryze or an annie (basicly anyone with a stun or huge burst) or dual ranged dps (teemo/trist or corki/ashe sucks abit) If you do have one of those lanes just sit back, it is better to survive poorly farmed then to feed the enemy and be outleveled and poorly farmed.

This is from my expiernce anyways, hoped it helped =]

SO these replys are goodness, and I think this pretty much sums it all up.

SO if 2 ranged guys can completly contain early jax...and they can.... isnt that a probelm?

That makes him weak, he will remain outfarmed to these guys. They will be rich and the same level. And he is no good without gear, so he needs to not be outfarmed.

I feel like some more magic resist would really help with this problem.

kalris

02-26-2010

Jax early game is his weakest point now. Any advice offered already is about as good as it gets it seems. I havnt found a way around it yet.

He can jungle wolves early if you have life steal. Dragon at 6 if you have lifesteal but thats dependent on dodges as well. I usually go 1 point into empower and jump and the rest into dodge through level 5, offers the most survivability and lets you harass still as well as the dodge being pretty much the only way to protect yourself.

Another option to look at is your summoner spells. I have found ghost and cleanse to work really well for Jax.

Masteries going 19 to 21 points into defense will help and the rest into offense depending on how you play him.

Runes - Dodge runes for yellow and magic resist for blue runes if you really want to ramp up your survivability.

IrishDoom

02-26-2010

I'm glad to hear it's not totally me playing horribly. I'll try starting with Doran's, and play it pretty conservative. Even playing conservative, though, he seems to be a big target for the opposing team.

Now, once I get a few good items under my belt, everything changes, but early he has been tough to play.