[Guide] Nocturne...The Jungling Nightmare

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

jaMx

03-21-2011

Hey League of Legends community, I am trying to support the need for a Nocturne guide and feel this should be a good read for anyone who is interested in League of Legends' newest champion Nocturne. Nocturne is an assassin champion who specializes in leveling up in the jungle. Nocturne should always be a jungle champion because he has the ability to clear the jungle incredibly fast and keeps up with the solo lanes in experience. He also is a great jungler because he currently has the BEST ganking abilities in the game. If a player is pushed even slightly past the river it is a free kill for you or your team if you are able to execute your spells effectively.

I am an average player, but have scored some ridiculous stats in the past week with nocturne, which encouraged me to write a guide. I have totaled 15 games with at least 20 kills and that number would be higher if there weren't so many games that were ended in 20 minutes. I also have won 75% of my games since playing Nocturne and my Elo has jumped 150 points. The main reason that Nocturne has been working out so well for me is his ability to take care of the solo lanes, gank early, farm/turret push and contribute in team fights during the late game. There are some players that prefer to play Nocturne in lane, but I think this is a huge mistake because you will not get nearly as many early kills and your farming will be dropped significantly.

Depending on your team composition you can play Nocturne as either a Tanky DPS or AD carry. If you want to play an AD carry every game then Nocturne is NOT the champ for you. Pre-game you need to assess your teams needs and act accordingly. Just because you are not the AD carry doesn't mean you won't get kills, Nocturnes passive and abilities should always ensure a few kills each game and you will feel the power of this champ when you play him right.

I hope you enjoy this guide, please your comments, feedback and recommendations

Contents
I. Base Stats
II. Abilities
III. Runes
IV. Masteries
V. Item Recommendation
VI. Early Nocturne
VII. Mid Game/Late Game Nocturne

Damage 54 (+3.1 / per level)
Health 440 (+85 / per level)
Mana 215 (+35 / per level)
Move Speed 320
Armor 17 (+3.5 / per level)
Spell Block 30 (+1.25 / per level)
Health Regen 1.4 (+0.15 / per level)
Mana Regen 1.2 (+0.09 / per level)

II. Abilities

Summoner Spells:
Ghost: I use ghost offensively and defensively with Q...makes him incredibly hard to kill
Smite required...jungle

Skill Order:
1. Q
2. E
3. Q
4. W
5. Q
6. R
Max Q first, E Second, W Last

Alternate Skill Order
1.Q
2. W
3. Q
4. E
5. Q
6. R

Note: Use the alternate skill order if you are afraid of a strong counter jungle such as Nunu.

Both skill orders finish the jungle within 10 seconds of each other...I did multiple trials of both, but prefer E over W at level 2 because it gives you a strong level 2 gank if you choose to do so

Skill Definition:

Umbra Blades - Every 10 seconds, Nocturne's next attack strikes surrounding enemies for 120% physical damage and heals himself for 15/20/25 per target hit.

Nocturne's basic attacks reduce this cooldown by 1 second.

Strangely the passive is my favorite ability that nocturne has, try these

1. Run to an empty lane...use your Q ability and attempt to herd the minions in a small area...attack 1 and earn +5 CS...it's that easy!

2. Your late game critical strike + passive can deal up to 1300 AOE damage...and you haven't even used an ability yet!

3. The heal is a nice added perk that is especially useful for banshees/large crowds of minions

Duskbringer - Nocturne throws a shadow blade which deals damage, leaves a Dusk Trail, and causes champions to leave a Dusk Trail. While on the trail, Nocturne ignores unit collision and has increased Movement Speed and Attack Damage.
Nocturne throws a shadow blade which deals 60/110/160/210/260 (+) physical damage and leaves a Dusk Trail for 5/5/5/5/5 seconds. Enemy champions hit also leave a Dusk Trail.

While on the trail, Nocturne ignores unit collision and gains 15/20/25/30/35% Movement Speed and 15/25/35/45/55 Attack Damage.
Cost
60/65/70/75/80 Mana
Range

For every opening attack you will use this ability to ensure maximum damage. If you miss this attack chances are you will not successfully gank a target, especially in the early game. However, when you do land this ability it is going to make it extremely difficult to run away from Nocturne due to the increased movement. When you first start playing Nocturne you will notice that is difficult to land this ability, but practice makes purpose and your ability to aim this ability will greatly effect your success playing this champion.

Shroud of Darkness - Nocturne empowers his blades, passively gaining attack speed. Activating Shroud of Darkness allows Nocturne fades into the shadows, creating a magical barrier which blocks a single enemy spell and doubles his passive attack speed if successful.
Passive: Nocturne has 20/25/30/35/40% bonus Attack Speed.

Active: Nocturne creates a magical barrier for 2 seconds, which blocks the next enemy ability.

If an ability is blocked by the shield, Nocturne's passive Attack Speed bonus doubles for 5 seconds.
Cost
50/50/50/50/50 Mana
Range

Active: Nocturne creates a magical barrier for 2 seconds, which blocks the next enemy ability.

This ability is part of what is making Nocturne such an effective assassin. People are highly predictable when you gank them. Usually the sequence goes like this:
1. You open with Q and run toward your target
2. Your opponent will see you about 1/2 a second later and choose fight/flight
3. If they choose fight they will probably target the champion in the lane as he will most likely be lower in health from natural laning deterioration (pokes)
4. If they choose flight they will try to slow you down because you are going to be running at them very fast because of the Q buff

Once you figure out who the enemy is targeting you can establish your skill sequence. If you are targeting a champ with a slow/stun ability such as snare you plan on using W the second you get within target range. You will most likely block their ability and receive a huge IAS buff.

The other way to use this ability is during team fights, protect your squishies by shielding an aim shot off of them or most obviously use it to run away when your being chased by a nuking champion.

Unspeakable Horror - Nocturne plants a nightmare into his target's mind, dealing damage each second and fearing the target if they do not get out of range by the end of the duration.

Nocturne plants a nightmare into his target's mind, dealing 50/100/150/200/250 (+1) magic damage over 2 seconds. If Nocturne stays within range of the target for the full duration, the target becomes feared for 1/1.25/1.5/1.75/2 second(s).
Cost
60/65/70/75/80 Mana
Range

This is what most people are complaining about during the OP QQ threads/games. Not only does Nocturne have a ranged nuke that gives him increased movement speed/damage but he also has this nifty fear. You tether onto a champion and need to stay within range for two seconds, during these two seconds the spell does damage and then the target becomes feared after the spell ends. Use this as much as possible after you have the blue buff in the jungle and use this to make ganking almost too easy.

Paranoia - Nocturne reduces the sight radius of all enemy champions and removes their ally vision in the process. He can then launch himself at a nearby enemy champion.
Nocturne reduces the sight radius of all enemy champions and removes their ally vision for 4 seconds.

While Paranoia is active, Nocturne can launch himself at an enemy champion, dealing 150/300/450 (+) physical damage.
Cost
100/100/100 Mana
Range

While Paranoia is active, Nocturne can launch himself at an enemy champion, dealing 150/300/450 (+) physical damage.
Cost
100/100/100 Mana
Range

I use this in one of the following ways

1. You will use this most often to gank the enemy team by surprising that player that over extends and making him pay for it.

2. When the other team is pushing a turret 4v2, you can still farm while watching the turret and easily be able to defend if the 4 players want to tower dive.

3. Eliminate enemy vision! The ult always takes away the other teams vision, but is most effective late game when you notice a 5v4 or 5v3 in your favor, you will be able to ult/Q-E a target and he will most definitely die and in solo queue where teams are not on team speak they will not be receiving much support.

4. The master escape artist. I have successfully gotten out of a few extremely difficult situations with this ability. There are 3-4 champions running toward a turret/you - pop your ultimate and cast on the target furthest away from you. Use fear/spell shield and effectively get away.

As you can see this ultimate has so many uses and I'm sure as I play him more I'll be able to add more~

III. Runes
This area has some flexibility, but I prefer to use
Red: Flat Armor Penetration
Yellow: +Armor
Blue: Increased Attack Speed
Quintessences: +1.5% Movement speed

The only rune that is required here is +armor yellow. I use to run with dodge runes, but after switching to armor I will never go back, your jungle is much safer with +armor.

Many players prefer to use health Quints or attack speed quints but I prefer to use movement speed as it stacks with your duskbringer buff giving a larger movement speed buff and making you an even deadlier assassin.

IV. Masteries
I use a 21-0-9 standard build. I feel this is pretty standard with AD carries/jungle

Offense
(1 ability where you please doesn't really matter probably the .75% reduced cooldown)
Deadliness 3/3
Plentiful Bounty 1/1
Alacrity 4/4
Sunder 3/3
Offensive Mastery 2/2
Brute Force 3/3
Lethality 3/3
Havoc 1/1

Utility:
3/3 Perseverance
1/3 Good hands
(You can switch Perseverance and good hands if you want, i know the regeneration is marginal but i find it useful for the jungling phase, however good hands can definitely make or break games, it's really up to you)

4/4 Awareness
1/2 Utility Mastery
Utility Mastery and Awareness are huge factors in jungling successfully

V.Item Recommendation
Depending on your Role use one of these builds. They all offer strong damage as well as survivability

Start Items (always)
1. Cloth Armor
2. 5 Health Potions-use the health potions to help clear the jungle

AD Carry Build
1. Wriggle's Lantern - life steal + free wards, solo mid/top always appreciate the wards early game and you will need to ward the dragon/barron
2. Boots of mobility - I personally feel that movement speed is an extremely overlooked aspect of this game, the +5 move speed, quintessence speed + q on a gank will close the gap between you an opponent in no time, making it very intimidating for the enemy champion and often forcing them to run without returning fire

Boots of mobility are especially useful as a jungle champion because you can scare a top lane by popping out of the bush for just a second and rushing to the mid for an unexpected gank.

Conclusively: MS = King

3. Long sword->Sword of the Occult or Brutalizer
If you start the game 2-0 within 10 minutes, chances are you are going to be able to easily pick up kills the rest of the game. If you are a conservative player and don't die a lot this will give a huge boost because you will pick up assists/kills very easily. If the game doesn't start out well just play it safe and buy a brutalizer

4. Banshees Veil
This item does not stack with your W ability, however you can wait for banshees veil to block a spell and then use W. This means you can block 2 summoner spells...you have basically just made killing you about 100 times more frustrating because you will block 2 stuns/slows. Surviving annie nukes is no problem with this AD carry

5. Infinity Edge
Helps you critical strike for about 1400 damage late game with your passive...very important

6. if you chose Brutalizer purchase an avarice to further increase critical strike then finish the recipe and buy Youmuu's Ghost blade
You will have one more item slot after this, which leaves some flexibility if you need more life steal, AD or defense

Tanky DPS
You have lots of squishies on your team but still need to pump out some damage

Start Items (always)
1. Cloth Armor
2. 5 Health Potions-use the health potions to help clear the jungle

Items
1. Wriggle's Lantern - life steal + free wards, solo mid/top always appreciate the wards ealy game and you will need to ward the dragon/barron
2. Boots Mobility - still need to gank/protect turrets and boots of mobility will allow you to be at all places at once
3. Brutalizer/Sword of Occulunt once again depending on how the game is going choose accordingly
4. Banshees Veil
5. Guardian Angel
6. Sunfire Cape

I don't think the defensive items need as much explanation, these items make you far more tanky and with the banshees veil + shroud ability you will take a lot of hits and still pump out a lot of damage

60 minute plus games:
Sell your wriggels lantern and buy accordingly, possibly buy different boots if needed

Gameplay:

VI. Early Nocturne

Jungle Route:

Standard
1.Blue Buff
2. Wolves
3. Banshees or Gank
4. Red Buff
5. Golem
6. Heal
7. Gank/Gank/Gank

Safe Start
1. Small Golems (smite)
2. Banshees
3. Wolves
4. Blue buff (smite)
5. Banshees
6. Wolves
7. Red Buff (smite)
should be level 5 / gank

Purchase your starting items Cloth armor + 5 health potions and head for the Blue buff. ]! You need to communicate to your solo mid that they need to pull aggro so that you can finish it with more ease. I also like to ask the other players to come protect or offer a few extra shots to make it easier for you to finish your jungle route. Once you finish the wolves head toward the banshees, you will be level 2 at this point. Before you start the banshees, look at the middle lane and determine if it is a possible gank, especially if the mid lane has a slow or stun.

After you finish your gank/banshees you will need to use a health pot and rest near the red buff because you will be low health. Once you have about 85% health you can start the red buff, your smite should be back to further help you with this. Make sure your Q is level 2 and E level 1 at this point, use them as much as you can while you have the blue buff. After you finish the red you should have 1 health pot left and about 10-15% life, wait for your passive to come back up use Q and E attack a few times then kite a little bit before you kill so that your passive comes back before you finish the 1st golem

After you finish you will be very low health and need to buy. This is an awkward buying stage because all the lanes are cleared, you have both buffs but can't gank because you are low health. When you buy, purchase your boots and 2 more health pots so that you are able to finish the blue/red buffs when they respawn. After you buy look at all lanes and ask your team where they want a gank. After you gank atleast 2 times, return to the jungle and clear the wolves/banshees/small golems. You should be level 5-6 and return to buy. You should have madreds/t1 boots at this point. Clear the blue/red buffs and gank

Return to base when you have 650 gold, purchase boots of mobility and stay in the field as long as you effectively can

Random Jungle Tips
With Nocturne remember that your passive heals for more when you hit all of them, when you jungle, constantly make sure you are clumped within the neutral creep bunch.

Start using your health pot immediately after taking damage, this will make you jungle with the highest health possible making you less prone to being ganked

Use your smite correctly! Do not open a creep attack with smite, it's not wise...thats how people steal your buffs, dragon and baron...for the first blue buff your smite will kill the golem when he is under 500 health. After that you will have to do a little math and figure out when you can smite the buff down for the kill shot.

Just because you are able to kill the blue by yourself, you should still ask your solo mid to leash the creep because he will not lose any experience (no minions die in the time it takes to run back to the middle lane) and it will leave you with an extra 100-150 health, which once again makes you more gank resilient

VII.Mid Game/Late Game
You hopefully have 3+ kills/assists by the time you reach the mid game point and need to start bouncing between empty lanes abusing your Q+passive ability to ensure max farming while clearing the jungle/ganking in between. Try to use your ultimate effectively and create situations that are extremely favorable for your team. Remember you only initiate when your team is with you and able to assist you, you are tanky with double spell block but not invincible. Do not complain when you ult into their tower against their entire team and die. Be a patient but deadly assassin.

Finally, please don't ever give up on games at the 20 minute mark, until the other team has taken at least 2 inhibitors you need to stick with this game. Nocturne has superior farming abilities and can buy expensive gear. He has the ability to change a game quickly. When that fed annie/ryze/ashe starts to get cocky because they are 6-0 and match 1vs1 against your 3-0 Nocturne with farm they will regret not sticking with the team.

If you have any questions for me feel free to message me in game or leave comments. I hope this guide is helpful and will make you a better Nocturne player. Have fun!

edit: it is possible to solo blue buff at level 1 but still smarter to have an ally leash it for you

edit: added alternate jungle path

edit: added a few jungle tips

Kayano

03-21-2011

+1

Samandris

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-21-2011

nice guide but instead of starting at blue i start at mini golums then wreathes then wolves then go to blue then look for a gank if non found then go to red

jaMx

03-21-2011

safe start is always viable but i still think blue buff is the best start for any jungler

necaremus

03-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaMdrew View Post
Finally, please don't ever give up on games at the 20 minute mark, until the other team has taken at least 2 inhibitors you need to stick with this game. Nocturne has superior farming abilities and can buy expensive gear. He has the ability to change a game quickly. When that fed annie/ryze/ashe starts to get cocky because they are 6-0 and match 1vs1 against your 3-0 Nocturne with farm they will regret not sticking with the team.
QFT, don't look at k/d, look at how farmed a player is

jaMx

03-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by necaremus View Post
QFT, don't look at k/d, look at how farmed a player is
Exactly! And Nocturne will always be farmed~

Bed of Cha0s

03-21-2011

stopped reading when I saw you took E over W at level 2...........

jaMx

03-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapsč View Post
stopped reading when I saw you took E over W at level 2...........

E provides for a potential level 2 gank at mid and a faster jungle clear, by the time you hit level 4 for your first true gank you will have level 1 E/W anyhow~

and beyond that I actually tested both in 4 separate runs and came up that E second is faster than W

Jungle times:
when taking W second I cleared the jungle in
4:10/4:03/4:07/3:59

when taking E second I cleared the jungle in
3:48/3:53/4:01/3:59

Overall, not a significant difference besides the fact that you can gank more effectively at level 2 with E over W, which is why i prefer E first. E also provides more survivability because you are fearing the highest DPS creep at each camp. I guess both are viable though. The differences in time came from natural error + crit%.

Kayano

03-21-2011

Yea, idk i got about the same speed with w and e but w is a nice escape for counter jungle

jaMx

03-22-2011

yea, so i guess if you are a counter jungle like nunu W might be a better choice