Zileas' List of Game Design Anti-Patterns

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pureva

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradesh View Post
I wouldn't say EVERYONE... but as the number of players is not published... I would say that 6k players is a pretty sizable force... you're wouldn't pleasing one player, but a whole bunch of us... Zileas, add the blind monk NAO!

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...83970&page=127
The number of players actually is published—to the nearest million, at any rate. As of the last time they told us, League of Legends has 3 million players.

Pradesh

02-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pureva View Post
The number of players actually is published—to the nearest million, at any rate. As of the last time they told us, League of Legends has 3 million players.

oh... if the search function was working, I would know that... thanks for the info!!!

anyways, 6k players are a lot, considering that the majority of the 3 million isn't concerned about the forums...

Ossus

02-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roku View Post
Off-topic: Zileas you said that WoW has the best classes out of any MMO, have you played LOTRO? I loved their classes in that game. Especially the Rune-Keeper.

The sheer versatility and potency of the class has made it my favorite class in any MMO I have played. I had so much fun switching from healing to dps on the fly and being able to save catastrophic situations. There were a couple other classes that had similar awesome-feeling moments.
And I can't do this with a shadow priest, shaman, druid or a paladin Because...?

See, I distinctly remember switching from shadow to help heal in dangerous moments to save the day myself. So this whole "Role swap on the fly" Concept is by no means, new.

I liked Karma for this reason. But most "Support" champs seem to be less about support andm ore about "Use heal whenever it's off CD"

EarthruneSkarner

02-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by P S Y View Post
Still can't figure how how Vlad's pool made it in under these patterns. It pretty much pisses off anywhere from 1 to 5 people when he uses it, and really only makes vlad happy, so the net effect of anti-fun of vlads pool is anywhere from 0 to -4.
This doesn't include members of his own team. Quite frankly, I hate Vladimir and his players.

2BarrelShotgun

02-08-2011

Hey, thanks for this post Zilean. I'm studying computer science at a University at the moment and I agree with your philosophies. I hope you still considered this thread worthwhile even though a lot of people badmouthed you. Personally I think a lot of them simply don't understand the difference between breadth and depth. I think video games have both. By breadth I mean this "Burden of Knowledge" that you are talking about. The best board game in my opinion is chess. It isn't that broad. The rules are fairly simple and easy to learn. But the game is immensely deep. You could play all your life and still have room for improvement. I should complement you on this game too. For the most part I enjoy it and think it is well designed. But since I can, I think I'll offer a couple complaints...

My favorite champion is Tryndamere. His attitude just suits me. But my complaint is this: I tend to get focused down with stuns and snares. It isn't particularly enjoyable when my opponent's can continuously stun and snare me for an entire team fight even though this is usually ideal since I can take the damage and typically results in a victory for me. It just isn't any fun. But it could just be a personal pet peeve, so I can't say you should pay too much attention to it. In general I don't like long stuns (more than 1 second) in rpgs. This is probably the biggest thing that inhibits my enjoyment of the game. I don't know that stuns or snares are overpowered in gameplay, I just don't enjoy them. Perhaps their functionality just needs to change a little. Yea, you're the experienced designer, so I'll let you figure that one out.

Earlier I was interested in a comment you made in the relationship between artist and game designers. In my opinion the game designer should almost always hold more sway than an artist. After all the core of a game is its gameplay, not its flashy appearance. But I suppose that's life.

I have a request about champions though. I generally like to play a paladin in games like this. You know: the whole knight in shining armor thing? But Taric looks like he's emo or something, and he's really more focused around healing than he is focused on aura's. As far as the whole thing you posted about auras and being unappreciated, I think that can be fixed. Aura's aren't appreciated because they aren't seen. Aura's need to be seen to be appreciated. I think a good example of aura's done right is Blizard's Diablo II. Every aura the Paladin had, had a unique ring that would appear around the character. I would love it if you guys ever made a champion like this, and I'm sure others would as well .

Anyways thank you for designing a great game! Please talk to the artists about their decision to draw a gay paladin, and about the decision to make all the female champions inappropriately dressed. (I'm sorry, but I think it's a bad morales even if it does possibly increase sales)

Zileas

VP of Game Design

02-14-2011
240 of 282 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BarrelShotgun View Post

Anyways thank you for designing a great game! Please talk to the artists about their decision to draw a gay paladin, and about the decision to make all the female champions inappropriately dressed. (I'm sorry, but I think it's a bad morales even if it does possibly increase sales)
Um, the pink paladin skin was a spoof on WoW, not an attempt at making a 'gay paladin'.

Taric's orientation is in the realm of speculation, we've said nothing.

And... a lot of female characters are dressed more conservatively, such as Karma, Annie, etc.

HeyJon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-14-2011

yeah i really like karma dress :3

Frnak

02-14-2011

Nice.

Regarding the randomness factor:

GangPlank Ult Rework? I hate it, even though I have *never* once played him. I can run from the center and not get hit.... or I can be on the edge and get blasted for 40% of my life. The hell.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

02-14-2011
241 of 282 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeros Cyrelis View Post
Nice.

Regarding the randomness factor:

GangPlank Ult Rework? I hate it, even though I have *never* once played him. I can run from the center and not get hit.... or I can be on the edge and get blasted for 40% of my life. The hell.

Yes, we hate it too for exactly this reason.

We have to overpower it to make it 'good' because its possible that as a tool, it will completely fail GP.

Radu1987

02-21-2011

Hey Zileas what were you saying ? :
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...83970&page=152