Tank Chogath item questions (including- why warmogg's?)

12345678 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TomatoBisque

Adjudicator

12-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostheim View Post
You did not include the bonuses from kills that Warmog's Armor gives, which is one of the reasons why the item is so good.
Actually, it does assume Warmog's is giving max bonuses.

However, it also assumes Leviathan does, which is rather unreasonable. It doesn't factor in the -15% damage taken, so it's not THAT off, but still.

Jothki

12-14-2009

I don't think I've ever seen anyone get a high enough kill/death ratio to fully power a Leviathan in any game that wasn't a complete stomp since before beta ended.

SwampZero

12-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jothki View Post
I don't think I've ever seen anyone get a high enough kill/death ratio to fully power a Leviathan in any game that wasn't a complete stomp since before beta ended.
I had a fully powered leviathan in a game that I finally lost. Bad team, premade 5man opponents (way too overconfident). Put up a decent fight, but team never did come together as a group, and they were overall better players than my dudes, so we lost. The first time I died that game, I lost the 20x stack

SomeoneRandom

12-14-2009

I think the real reason most get warmogs is not because they want to have 9000 life, its the worst reason ever.. bloodrazors and deathfires are everywhere already... but its a backup incase you die...

If you happen to die and lose your feast you will drop to like 2k or 2500 with no health items, warmogs makes sure you can live long enough to get 6 again

Honestly though after warmogs every item should be support and armor/magic res

Stella Q

12-14-2009

I've been playing Cho for a couple weeks now playing a slight variation on the MF Cho build with great success. I'm curious as to why nobody ever mentions Frozen Heart as a solid if not beastly item for Cho. Obviously it depends on the other team's makeup, but 9 times out of 10 the guy on the other team that was fed by your noob teammates early and can take your 4k hp down to nothing before you can blink is going to be an auto-attacking phys dps hero with a metric ****-ton of lifesteal and attack speed items, at least at my ELO which I'll admit isn't that great (im at 69-69 atm).

With the frozen heart you get the most armor of any item in the game (i think), a big CD reduction for skillspam and a hefty chunk of mana to do it with. And of course the attack speed debuff aura which is just great in the current metagame atm. I prefer it over the Force of Nature in most games, although like I said it depends on the other team. I'm just puzzled as to why it's never mentioned as a good item for Cho, people instead opting to go with thornmail or warden's when they need armor.

Xirus

12-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Q View Post
I'm curious as to why nobody ever mentions Frozen Heart
I didn't mention it as I assumed it was a given that the item is awesome if:
A. You need armour.
B. no one else on your team has it.

Okay, so why warmogg's over banshee's veil? Banshee's veil is half the health, true, but it comes with a nice chunk of MR. I think I ran the numbers and it was basically as good a value, but a better balance of stats with a better passive (veil over 90 hp5?)

The Promise

01-28-2010

I build something like this:

Warmog's

Boots (Usually Mercury, but on rare occasions Swiftness)

My third item varies depending on what I am facing. AP/Mage heavy I build Force of Nature, AD/Melee heavy I build a Guardian Angel, and occasionally I build a Frozen Heart, but only if I feel that my team needs the snare and I need the CD reduction.

Another Warmog's

After that I have usually won, but if the game keeps going I try to counter their main carry, whatever they happen to be. If I can buy a fifth item and we are basically assured victory I buy another Warmog's just for kicks and to make the other team cry.

Why so many Warmogs'? HP is great. If you need MR you have your Force, and you get plenty of armor from your GA if they are melee. After than, you just can't die. You can soak up so much damage that your team can just roll your opponents if they try to kill you.

DonkeyBalls

02-04-2010

I play a lot with cho'gath using the tank build. I start with regen pendant and rush warmog's. It feels like it takes forever to get it. Like level 10 or something. This seem rediculously long to wait for you first item. I can hang in my lane okay before I get it, I'm not outclassed, but I surely am not going in for any kills since my opponents usually have some upgrades. I have no boots so I'm slow as hell. Warmog's is slow slow slow to build and then you have to build it up. Then when I get it im supposed to feel all bad ass, but at the late game I still get cut to ribbons in 1 second by the dps champs. I go with warmog's every time but it just doesnt seem to be working for me. What is an alien terror from the void supposed to do these days?

cybrcld

02-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyBalls View Post
I play a lot with cho'gath using the tank build. I start with regen pendant and rush warmog's. It feels like it takes forever to get it. Like level 10 or something. This seem rediculously long to wait for you first item. I can hang in my lane okay before I get it, I'm not outclassed, but I surely am not going in for any kills since my opponents usually have some upgrades. I have no boots so I'm slow as hell. Warmog's is slow slow slow to build and then you have to build it up. Then when I get it im supposed to feel all bad ass, but at the late game I still get cut to ribbons in 1 second by the dps champs. I go with warmog's every time but it just doesnt seem to be working for me. What is an alien terror from the void supposed to do these days?
lol, well, i lurves the cho, and i'm pretty freakin good at keeping him alive. I've done a lot of 15+/0/X games. For tank, try warmogs -> frozen heart / guardian angel. If you're having trouble staying alive early game, get guardian angel first. Use ghost/cleanse to stay alive longer. Usually my games get to a point where the other team gets desperate to kill so i'll let em kill me in the end just to let them find out i have a guardian angel. ^^

Rallos

02-08-2010

I've played 120ish games in PUG with Cho'gath and i just love him.

Very hard to kill, Can Gank, and some disruption with his spells.
My Masteries are 9/0/21 (for cooldown reduction & mobility).
My Runes are +9 Resist Magic, +34 Resist Magic at lvl18, +44 Armor at lvl18.

My buy sequence is :
1 Meki Pendant + 2 Potions => Upgrade Meki to Chalice ASAP
2 Boots, that will later be upgraded (depending on needs, usually Mercury Threads)
3 Warmor Armor
4 Frozen Heart

Usually games end when i finish or just finished the Frozen heart.
With 4200ish HP, 220Armor, 120Magic

My next depend on what we fight : Veil, Atmas, Thornmail, Guardian, Frozen Mallet, Aegis of the Legion.

Even if you go for "pure tank chogath" get ASAP the Chalice of Harmony.
You'll never run out of mana and the magic resist is nice.

Do not underestimate the Aegis of the Legion (specially if you fight with another melee).
I have almost never killed anyone without spikes or feast, so going for +dmg is not that great.
But 300hp 25rm/armor and 10dmg is balanced.

Summoner Spells are Blink (great for escaping & ganks with feast) & Teleport (to defend towers).
With silence, spikes, feast, you can hold 2 people at your tower.

My "favorite" would be : http://leaguecraft.com/builder/Cho%27Gath/c910c5d3133df95336cf37f21ec980db

Not perfect, but balanced & helpfull in team fights.

PS : Aegis of the Legion seems to stack 2 times.
PS2 : I refuse to kill the golem, let real casters have it. Lizard ok, maybe.

12345678 ... 9