Alistar - The Defensive Tackle of LoL

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Addison16

01-25-2011

I've played alistar here and there, but recently I have tried a different build on him and it seems to work rather well. The main changes I made to him are in the runes, masteries, and the first few items. I increase his move speed and cdr with runes and masteries so that I can position myself better for stuns and headbuts. His ult takes care of when he needs to tank damage and his spells naturally allow him to support his team, so he gains more from these runes/masteries than he loses. He really does play like a Defensive Tackle in that he either takes out their front line or rushes past the line to tackle their carry so that the defensive end can come in and take him out.

The spells I take are alway ghost and flash.

For the basic route I go is 9/0/21 masteries with mpen blues, hp/lvl seals, mp/lvl glyphs, and movement speed quints. I set my masteries around what his weaknesses are: cdr, move speed, and mana. This gives me 9% cdr, 322 starting move speed (instead of 300), greater xp gain, and both ghost and flash with the 15% reduction. Let me explain the movement speed helps him position himself so that his stuns and headbuts put the enemy in the most damaging position possible. Also, the decreased cooldowns on his ghost and flash are a huge help in that respect and so are the cdr masteriest that take over one sec off all his cooldowns. The mana regain makes it so he can stay in a lane much longer.

If you want to be more tanky then go 0/9/21 while picking up the health regain masteries and swap the mpen marks for magic resistance (actually kinda high at 8.7 for all 9). This gives you 17.7 magic resist and 6 armor plus some hp regain, but you would be giving up a good amount of damage.

Anyways, for my starting item I'd get Doran's Ring, then on first return Philosopher's Stone. That gives me all the health and mana regain I need plus it pays me for having it. On the next round I get kindlegem and shoes, then upgrade to Revivie. This provies a sort of mini ghost for you, but the cooldown is only 60 sec so it will provide you and your team with a nice boost to chase or flee, which kinda fits your role as a positioning/stunning tank. If I need more cdr then I either get blue potion or a kindlegem, but after this it really depends on the game as to which items I get.

I'd like to know what people think of this, so post if you have something to add, but please stay on topic.

mojozhu

01-25-2011

I think its very viable. Sounds reasonable to since ult provide all he needs for defense. Will comment again after I tried.

EDIT:

How about adding Omen? since omen gives him armor, health, CDR, also the AOE active slow which will definitely play a role in helping him position and headbutting.

Like core item -> CD boot -> Reverie/Omen -> Which ever you didn't get

Can't try it until 6 hours later :P

Addison16

01-26-2011

I do get omen a decent bit so that I can slow them or speed up after i combo, but I find having two items with abilities can make things cluttered, but that's just me.

Wisewind

01-26-2011

Chalice/Ionian Boots/Glacial Shroud should be core imo as it addressses all his vital needs while providing some tank stats.

From there just build whatever the situation calls for tanking-wise (Omen/Force of Nature/Sunfire/Thornmail/ etc)

mojozhu

01-26-2011

I tried it yesterday. I failed miserably. I can still see how it would work if I got a coordinated team and my Alistar skill is better.

Major problem I face:
- I got ignored after my stun.
- I only have enough defense when I ult, which I have to time really well.
- So hard to farm if I haven't score kill or assist.

Wisewind

01-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojozhu View Post
I tried it yesterday. I failed miserably. I can still see how it would work if I got a coordinated team and my Alistar skill is better.

Major problem I face:
- I got ignored after my stun.
- I only have enough defense when I ult, which I have to time really well.
- So hard to farm if I haven't score kill or assist.
I have learned that doing a 1-2 combo in a teamfight late game is a waste, u have to play more of an anti-iniation zoning role at that point, saving ur cc skills for keeping enemies away from your team (each for separate enemy champs) and try and pause in between, space them out so you always have one available every 3-4 seconds. Also having randuins makes him even more of a deterrent.