DPS Janna: Screw Tornados, I Can Crit

1234567 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razerwind View Post
Why no lifesteal? I'd get a Vampiric Scepter in there at the very least.

I've never even spawned as Janna after 250 games played. I think I'll try this in a bot match tonight. Thanks
The reason that there's no lifesteal is cus a DPS Janna plays slightly different than a normal DPS champion. A DPS Janna focuses slightly more on Hit and Running than your average DPS champtioni (Yi, twitch, etc) as Janna's extremely high mobility allows it to do so.

As a DPS Janna player myself, I find that you rarely ever get focused in battles, as opponents usually laugh at the thought of a DPS Janna. As a result, lifesteal would not be a worthwhile investment on her seeing as you rarely should ever take damage.

In the case where you do get focused however, immediately retreat and come back. With an easily spammable Howling Gale, Flash, Possibly Ghost, and already 500 movement speed with my build, don't count on anyone catching up to you.

reziel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkie View Post
Howling Gale 0.75
Zephyr 0.8
Eye of the Storm 0.8
Monsoon 0.35 (each second, 1.4 over 4 seconds)

Those are bad ap ratios? rofl
And yet take three things:

Janna's inability to chain these spells back to back (Annie could have .4 ratios and still be better than Janna because of her low cooldowns)

Janna's awful base damage (It takes a few ranks of Zephyr to match rank 1 Disintegrate to make another Annie comparison)

Janna's inability to farm without an auto-attack-stacked build (No money to buy that AP. . . The game will probably end with you around 250 AP at best, and also with your team losing)

And you have bad AP ratios and a worthless character for nuking.

reziel

01-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chai View Post
The reason that there's no lifesteal is cus a DPS Janna plays slightly different than a normal DPS champion. A DPS Janna focuses slightly more on Hit and Running than your average DPS champtioni (Yi, twitch, etc) as Janna's extremely high mobility allows it to do so.

As a DPS Janna player myself, I find that you rarely ever get focused in battles, as opponents usually laugh at the thought of a DPS Janna. As a result, lifesteal would not be a worthwhile investment on her seeing as you rarely should ever take damage.

In the case where you do get focused however, immediately retreat and come back. With an easily spammable Howling Gale, Flash, Possibly Ghost, and already 500 movement speed with my build, don't count on anyone catching up to you.
You hit the nail on the head.

DPS Janna is nothing like Twitch's "OMFG IM ULTING EVERYONE RUN" style of play.

nicosharp

01-25-2010

This style of play with Janna Intrigued me. Alas, I am not good enough with Ranged DPS champs to attempt this with the fragile long legged babyJ. My team at a decent ELO all pretty much raged on me for suckin it up, and I think I made a few ignore lists for my attempt. Back to Alistar.. Moo!

Cool build otherwise, and I am sure it can be viable with a competent person running it flawlessly. But boy is she fragile. I personally think going anything other than Utility on Janna with 3 Tier 3 Quickness Quints is not a good idea. Take advantage of her passive, her mana bar, and cooldowns and snare lock the other team, and boost the dps of real carries.

Longe

01-25-2010

This is my build that I have had some good experience with.
(Much like this one in some ways)
I start with brawler's gloves and x2 HP pots.
I then upgrade that to avarice blade and get another ASAP.
Then I get Berserker's greaves.
After that, I tend to get a vampiric scepter (which will later be upgraded to malady for the nice AS bonus)
After that, I get myself tri-force (sheen->zeal->phage[phage last since Zephyr is a slow])
And after that, I will upgrade to Malady.
If the game is still going (which it is not usually) I will then move on to get Phantom dancer
and if the game is STILL going, I would move onto IE and/or Black Cleaver depending on the enemies.

Sell the avarice blades whenever necessary- although I tend to hold onto them until I have gotten items to fill all of the other slots.

For my build, EotS>Zephyr>Ult>Howling

I go 21/0/9

For runes, as I do with all my champs (my runes are universally useful on most champs) I just have -cd runes for red and blue and purple (quints marks and.. glyphs?) and then I use yellow doges. [All T2 currently due to lack of IP- I keep buying champs xD]

EDIT: Also, yes, i use red marks of cd reduce (****ty -.13 cd) but with 9 of those it gives me another 1.17 CD reduction- almost equal to a T2 quint. Rather uneffective, but as I often switch between caster, support, melee dps, and carry, I can use them all effectively. [plus I main as shaco and he just lourves that cd reduce]

Anyways, my intention was not to override this guide, but to offer another suggestion / show what I personaly have had quite a bit of success with.

Cheers!

-Longe

Evernight

01-25-2010

While I like playing DPS Janna the problem is that no matter how good you are - Ashe, Trist, and Teemo will always do a better job.

No disrespect to your guide - its good. But I feel like its kinda like trying to make an attack dmg Ryze - sure it can be done - but why?

She is fun to play though.

Longe

01-25-2010

Nahh... I have beaten many ashe / trists (although I admit Teemo can be a pain). The trick is using Gale effectively along with zephyr and shield. If you can bait them into a gale, zephyr them, shield yourself and attack until they either start damaging you or they catch up with you [and repeat the process], almost no champ can take you down. (notice i said ALMOST)

Ceasegen

01-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evernight View Post
While I like playing DPS Janna the problem is that no matter how good you are - Ashe, Trist, and Teemo will always do a better job.

No disrespect to your guide - its good. But I feel like its kinda like trying to make an attack dmg Ryze - sure it can be done - but why?

She is fun to play though.
I completely disagree. Janna's style is different. Apples and Oranges with other ranged DPS. I can regularly take out an Ashe or Teemo 1on1 if they make the slightest mistake. Trist is the only one who sometimes gives me trouble. Janna's shield gives her a hit-and-run-without-taking-any-damage style that makes for a completely different kind of domination early and mid game than any of the characters you mentioned. I'm working on optimizing this with +health and +def runes so she can just stay in the running as long as possible early on.

I almost always can get more lane/denial time than any of the above-mentioned characters, and that gives me more power and better items in mid-game as a result.

All things equal the others may be better numbers-wise, fully built, but playing Janna adds an interesting meta-aspect to the early and mid game that few other characters do.

It also confuses the **** out of many people, which is makes the build really fun. I love when a Teemo thinks I'm just this squishy support character and gets aggro on me only to be auto-attacked to death quicker than he can bring down my shield and a quarter of my life.

edit: The trick to take down Teemo, and in fact many characters, with this build is to take Cleanse. I spec into its reduced cooldown under Defense, although that might change once I reach 21 and can max the offense tree.

Sgt Scruffian

01-25-2010

Have 20+ support Janna games, excited to give this a try. Likely going to test it out on a few bot games first, though.

Does lack of runes/masteries make a big difference in this build? I'm only level 14.

Zeckx

01-25-2010

Lol Chai is defending for agip33, its ok, let everyone think Janna is ****, I've always hated going up against Janna and I've said to agip33 many times that he was going to get Janna nerfed, will this be the day?! jkjk lol.

PS. I was wondering why there was a Janna in almost every game I've played today :/..

1234567 ... 9