Sivir: Boomering or Ricochet?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sethala

01-14-2010

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'm gonna hop into another game and try things out.

BTW, I always go 2 health pots + meki's > chalice when I can afford it. So that part's covered.

Pocky Snacks

01-14-2010

I want very much to face all of you guys in games. I haven't encountered a Sivir yet that's overpowered me, but I've met a few Sivirs that have been an even match from early to mid game (endgame ends up with one team being overall more skilled than the other). These Sivirs that proved to be an even-match have only been BB sivirs, and their and my skill path has been identical or near-identical every time. That is:

1: Boomerang Blade
2: Spell Shield
3: Boomerang Blade
4: Ricochet
5: Boomerang Blade
6: On the Hunt
7-18: Priority on OnTheHunt > Boomerang Blade > Ricochet > Spell Shield

Initial gear choices have also almost always been identical. That is:

Stark's Fervor
Chalice of Harmony

Now why have I not had trouble with Ricochet Sivirs? Well, probably because their harassing potential is secondrate, and they're still only killing our creep as fast as I'm killing their creep. Between the occasional Spell Shield and regen from Chalice (which should be attained as early as possible), mana is plentiful enough to the point where I can harass the opponent champion and keep the minion waves pushed against their tower.

The name of Sivir's game seems to be "Options". By considering Ricochet seriously in the early-game, a Sivir limits their ability to, letsay, harass an enemy that's trying to finish a gank on a team-mate. Two enemies at full-health won't mind chasing after your 1/4-life teammate if all you've got is your weak pre-Ult auto-attack AoE. On the flip side, if you've got level 1 Ricochet and level 3 Boomerang Blade (assuming you're all level 5) your enemy will definitely have to move aside in order to avoid the Boomerang's return, which in turn slows them down just a tad and also makes them reconsider chasing after their target while you're around.

If you think Ricochet is enough harass to deter the enemy from pursuing your target (or perhaps Boomerang Blade and level 1 Ricochet wasn't enough to deter them in the first place), then also consider that enemy champs can easilly walk around and away from the minions that Ricochet is targetting. If you decide to keep them at bay with an auto-attack to the face, chances are they'll probably be able to damage you right back (and in many cases much harder). A boomerang blade to their face in this instance will also deter them from attempting it again.

Prospero

01-14-2010

I have little sympathy for my 1/4 life comrade. =)

It's true that ricochet is useless early on for encouraging the other team to back off, but it's less easy than you think for them to just wander away while laning to avoid bounces from ricochet. If they are melee, they aren't getting gold anymore. If they are ranged you can get closer and bounce shots off of some minion that is closer to them. I've gotten pretty good at this dance.

I think one of my problems with BB is even when I'm on my A game nailing champs on a regular basis they don't seem to care all that much. Once I've fired they know they have a good chunk of time where I can't do anything to them. Ricochet seems to make them permanently uncomfortable. Just minorly uncomfortable.

I do generally level BB over ricochet if we get pushed back to our tower early on. The big bang damage works well to get minion kills with the tower.

Slide

01-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocky snacks View Post
i want very much to face all of you guys in games. I haven't encountered a sivir yet that's overpowered me, but i've met a few sivirs that have been an even match from early to mid game (endgame ends up with one team being overall more skilled than the other). These sivirs that proved to be an even-match have only been bb sivirs, and their and my skill path has been identical or near-identical every time. That is:

1: Boomerang blade
2: Spell shield
3: Boomerang blade
4: Ricochet
5: Boomerang blade
6: On the hunt
7-18: Priority on onthehunt > boomerang blade > ricochet > spell shield

initial gear choices have also almost always been identical. That is:

Stark's fervor
chalice of harmony

now why have i not had trouble with ricochet sivirs? Well, probably because their harassing potential is secondrate, and they're still only killing our creep as fast as i'm killing their creep. Between the occasional spell shield and regen from chalice (which should be attained as early as possible), mana is plentiful enough to the point where i can harass the opponent champion and keep the minion waves pushed against their tower.

The name of sivir's game seems to be "options". By considering ricochet seriously in the early-game, a sivir limits their ability to, letsay, harass an enemy that's trying to finish a gank on a team-mate. Two enemies at full-health won't mind chasing after your 1/4-life teammate if all you've got is your weak pre-ult auto-attack aoe. On the flip side, if you've got level 1 ricochet and level 3 boomerang blade (assuming you're all level 5) your enemy will definitely have to move aside in order to avoid the boomerang's return, which in turn slows them down just a tad and also makes them reconsider chasing after their target while you're around.

If you think ricochet is enough harass to deter the enemy from pursuing your target (or perhaps boomerang blade and level 1 ricochet wasn't enough to deter them in the first place), then also consider that enemy champs can easilly walk around and away from the minions that ricochet is targetting. If you decide to keep them at bay with an auto-attack to the face, chances are they'll probably be able to damage you right back (and in many cases much harder). A boomerang blade to their face in this instance will also deter them from attempting it again.
Quoted For Truth. Ill keep an eye out for you Pocky. Mirror match of doom!