[Guide]: Gangplank: "What's this, AP Business? Yar Har!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Crazyflames

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cougar View Post
Kicker question now that I think of it. The extra Sheen or Lichbane damage do not get factored when getting a critical correct?
Nope, I was wondering this myself and after looking it up it doesn't, this would probably be OP if it did on certain champs.

mindspin

12-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyflames View Post
Nope, I was wondering this myself and after looking it up it doesn't, this would probably be OP if it did on certain champs.
Well hold on, meow...

You can still crit on a lichbane hit, but the lichbane isn't factored into the crit damage.

So what if you got some crit runes, built the core RoA/Lichbane and then went for atma's? You could crit at about 35-40% of the time depending on how many crit runes you took, last on the front-line, heal yourself substantially and even put out some damage!

CrimsonWraith

12-29-2010

Just ran four games with the build. I ran HP quints and MP reds though. Went 3-1. It's a really fun way to play GP. A lot different than the Heat 'n Serve method I've been using for nearly a year. These are things that I've noticed.

1) You feel a lot tankier with 40% CDR and a heal that's hitting for 600+;
2) You actually feel confident about your ult killing people at <30% HP;
3) You don't do much early and you don't do anything for the first part of the mid-game;
4) People are more willing to listen to why you're playing Mageplank -- I only had one player actually be mean about it (people pointed out our numbers and he shut up);
5) Parrley is still super useful, but you will spend a lot more time in melee range, so plan accordingly (Nashor's Tooth, IMO).

Tarmac

01-03-2011

First time playing mageplank I went 13/4/18. THANKS!

JudoPunch

01-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakinTheHeat View Post
I tried it. I failed hard. Don't lie to people, you haven't done well with this in ranked or normal unless you were vs noobs.

I only lost in the match with rapeplank because my teammates were noobs. I lost in the mageplank match because the build was incompetent.

Now don't get me wrong, if you can get 5 Archangels and a Zhonyas, it is fun if they stand in your ult! oh wait..
I see... So when YOU fail its because your teamates were noobs, and when YOU fail its because your build was bad.... Oh, wait.

Blind Cougar

01-03-2011

Come tomorrow Mageplank should prove to be a bit more interesting with the Zhonya's split.

Craixis

01-04-2011

Agreed, once I get the patch downloaded I'll see how things go.
The Hat may soon be a must buy if its damage proves more useful then Hourglass's utility, but delaying death has always been more useful imo...
Still no GP changes this patch, life is good.

KillTheFuture

02-14-2011

I'm pretty new at the game (not even lvl 30 yet), but I've been having a lot of fun this week with Gangplank and with this build in particular.

I noticed Malady seems like it might be a good fit, but I haven't had a chance to try it, and doubt I know the game well enough to really tell how much difference it makes anyhow. Anyone have thoughts on the matter?

Artemis66X

02-14-2011

malady gives low AP, decent attk speed for taking down towers...doesn't apply the magic dmg to towers i dont believe.

you usually don't smack someone in the face 4 times, especially as mageplank since you hit for nothing, before dropping barrage on their head so I don't really see the point

Also, i have found mageplank to be (overall) lackluster and even more hit or miss that critplank (due to the absolute randomness of barrage). i admit that pretty biased on that front(love me my critplank) but still love to see other people playing as him, even it is is AP. but still, probly shouldn't build malady for mageplank

Craixis

02-15-2011

Thing is, what is hit and miss about mageplank outside of the ult? Everything else is solid, reliable, and you know exactly what you can do when you can do it.
Critplank may be more solid now since the crit rework, but I still find it very unreliable when I'm trying to harass with Parrrley (when it hits, it hits, but at the same time, when it doesn't... its ehhh, and throw the RNG of the ult on top of that).

And mageplank is a bit odd of a build, as he can be in melee range the entire time, proccing Sheen/Lichbane with Remove Scurvy/Raise Morale for auto attack damage (Ward + Raise Morale with vamp if you got it is a nice burst heal as well), and applying his DoT often. He's a very solid pick against heal heavy comps, or even Mundo... because no one likes fighting Mundo. (No one >:. )

Mageplank is ultimately a melee support, he's in the thick of the fight, soaks up hits, and deals moderate amounts of nuke damage. It makes up for his lack of distance closer/CC with the fact he can actually take a hit (much like Garen), and left alone he can usually 1v1 most squishies.

Malady though, I personally avoid it... but that's because I'm been playing since pre season 1 and I haven't wrapped my head around the idea of using it now (I may have to try it some time).